Low G Baritone Uke Strings?

Paul December

Reaction score
I'd like to mess around with a baritone uke, but don't want to learn any new chords...
...can a baritone uke be strung Low G (C Tuning) :confused:

If so, how would it sound? Would the difference be as noticeable as going from a concert-to-tenor? (even more sustain & deeper)

Not positive how it will sound but I'm pretty sure it can be done. I believe Aquila sells sets for Baritone GCEA. You might be able to use classical guitar strings, but again I'm not sure. Maybe I need to get a Baritone and find out.

Yes, and it sounds great. Nice full sound, and mine is just a cheap Bari MGM sells the Aquila C Bari sets and he also sells a single low g for Bari. You can also use a single classical guitar string I think it's an A but can't remember for sure, I'll check when I get home.

...can a baritone uke be strung Low G (C Tuning)
If so, how would it sound? (even more sustain & deeper)

I put Aquila low G baritone strings in gCEA on my Kamaka baritone and I am crazy about it. Great sustain and a throatiness to the tone. It still sounds like a ukulele. I don't know if "super tenor" would be the right description. I'm curious to put a high G on it and check the differences.

yes you can get low g c tuning bari strings, (from Aquilla they are really nice strings) but also you can get the G tuning ones (which I've got on my bari at the moment) you dont have to learn new chords, you just have to remember 2 sets of names for the same chords - that's why I mess around with alternative tunings.
dans

yes you can get low g c tuning bari strings, (from Aquilla they are really nice strings) but also you can get the G tuning ones (which I've got on my bari at the moment) you dont have to learn new chords, you just have to remember 2 sets of names for the same chords - that's why I mess around with alternative tunings.
dans

I too use alternate tuning on my baritone......for the same purpose.....same finger position.

Hello all,

Paul, the first thing to realize is that you won't have to learn any "new chords" if you switch to a baritone. Play the same patterns as always - they just sound lower. Of course if you're not just a solo player, you will have to learn the new names of those old chords.

That said, a Linear C or "low G" tuning is an excellent fit for a Baritone. To me it's much better than what you get with the super heavy wound strings needed for the standard linear G. I also like linear C better on a Baritone than on a Tenor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom