PDA

View Full Version : Low G Baritone Uke Strings?

Paul December
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I'd like to mess around with a baritone uke, but don't want to learn any new chords...
...can a baritone uke be strung Low G (C Tuning) :confused:

If so, how would it sound? Would the difference be as noticeable as going from a concert-to-tenor? (even more sustain & deeper)

Rzr
09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Not positive how it will sound but I'm pretty sure it can be done. I believe Aquila sells sets for Baritone GCEA. You might be able to use classical guitar strings, but again I'm not sure. Maybe I need to get a Baritone and find out.

kenikas
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes, and it sounds great. Nice full sound, and mine is just a cheap Bari MGM sells the Aquila C Bari sets and he also sells a single low g for Bari. You can also use a single classical guitar string I think it's an A but can't remember for sure, I'll check when I get home.

cletus
09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
...can a baritone uke be strung Low G (C Tuning)
If so, how would it sound? (even more sustain & deeper)

I put Aquila low G baritone strings in gCEA on my Kamaka baritone and I am crazy about it. Great sustain and a throatiness to the tone. It still sounds like a ukulele. I don't know if "super tenor" would be the right description. I'm curious to put a high G on it and check the differences.

dans003
09-02-2010, 09:08 PM
yes you can get low g c tuning bari strings, (from Aquilla they are really nice strings) but also you can get the G tuning ones (which I've got on my bari at the moment) you dont have to learn new chords, you just have to remember 2 sets of names for the same chords - that's why I mess around with alternative tunings.
dans

mm stan
09-03-2010, 01:14 AM
yes you can get low g c tuning bari strings, (from Aquilla they are really nice strings) but also you can get the G tuning ones (which I've got on my bari at the moment) you dont have to learn new chords, you just have to remember 2 sets of names for the same chords - that's why I mess around with alternative tunings.
dans

I too use alternate tuning on my baritone......for the same purpose.....same finger position.

southcoastukes
09-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Hello all,

Paul, the first thing to realize is that you won't have to learn any "new chords" if you switch to a baritone. Play the same patterns as always - they just sound lower. Of course if you're not just a solo player, you will have to learn the new names of those old chords.

That said, a Linear C or "low G" tuning is an excellent fit for a Baritone. To me it's much better than what you get with the super heavy wound strings needed for the standard linear G. I also like linear C better on a Baritone than on a Tenor.