Kanile'a Uke

tooney

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether anyone out there has a Kanile'a, how happy they are with it, and what it sounds like? (Is the difference in the K-1, 2 and 3 only cosmetic?)

If there's any kind soul out there with one in the Greater Delaware Valley, would it be possible for me to hear yours in person? They're hard to come by over here, and a huge investment for an instrument I've only heard on YouTube. (Besides, my keyboard is getting wet from my drool.)

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I haven't been on in a while - Life keeps interfering and I've been using all my free time practicing.

Since apparently no one who actually owns a Kanilea has responded to your post, I will give you my input. While in Hawaii last year, I went to numerous uke shops and tried a lot of ukes. I was interested in either a Kamaka, Koaloha or Kanilea. I really liked the looks of the Kanileas. Unfortunately, none I came across sounded "right" to me. "Right" being the sound that I was expecting from a K brand uke. The Kamakas and Koalohas had that sound I was expecting. The Kanileas all sounded somewhat muddled to me. I was disappointed because I had hoped I would like the Kanileas best since I had decided I liked the look of that make best before I left. At one of the shops that had a lot of K brand ukes and a very old and seemingly experienced uke salesman, I mentioned that I had not found a Kanilea that I thought sounded real good. He told me that he does not like the sound of the base models, but said the custom models were very good ($2000 range). After much searching, I bought a Kamaka and have been very pleased. Keep in mind, this was only my experience during one trip and after visiting about a dozen shops. I have heard Kanileas in vids that I thought sounded very nice. You may get one that sounds just as you had hoped!! They were all very well made and quite attractive.

I tried a Kanilea tenor a few months ago. It was very nice. Beautiful, in fact. I ended up buying a KoAloha tenor that same day. And it wasn't a difficult decision. My wife was there and she practically begged me to purchase the KoAloha.

I'm wondering whether anyone out there has a Kanile'a, how happy they are with it, and what it sounds like? (Is the difference in the K-1, 2 and 3 only cosmetic?)

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I haven't been on in a while - Life keeps interfering and I've been using all my free time practicing.

Pretty much the only Uke brand that I play anymore, and I can have any uke that I want.

10 or so of them over the years and they are extremely consistent in terms of tone, so if you like the sound on youtube you will like it in person.

K1-2-3 all sound the same, the UV/Satin has a effect on tone. If you are looking at a k2 or above they are all going to be UV and I like the UV over the satin as they wear better and the tone is a little more laid back. I also like the look a bit more.

The Custom's do sound different but not better or worse just different. Go get one.

100_2096.jpg

I own a K2 Kanile'a. I think it is beautiful to look at, but it is not quite the sound quality of my KoAloha. To be honest, the only ukulele I would recommend for sound quality, sight unseen is a KoAloha. I have heard wonderful Kanile'as, but I don't think they are as consistent across the board as a KoAloha.

That being said, you will probably find a lovely one that you enjoy. And Joe and Kristen Souza have wonderful customer service (as good or almost as good as KoAloha's Okami family). Happy shopping!

Last edited:
Every uke has it's individual voicing, whether it be in the same model and type too..too many variables in construction and materials affects consistancy..
I've heard many say out of ten ukes made, only a couple will sound killers....you gotta go and try them before dropping the moolah!! find the best gem in the same models..
Spending an absorbant amount of money, you should never rush and get too excited....no impluse buying... MM Stan

Last edited:
Every uke has it's individual voicing, whether it be in the same model and type too..too many variables in construction and materials affects consistancy..
I've heard many say out of ten ukes made, only a couple will sound killers....you gotta go and try them before dropping the moolah!! find the best gem in the same models..
Spending an absorbant amount of money, you should never rush and get too excited....no impluse buying... MM Stan

amen, that's why I will never buy a uke online except if i really know who i am buying too.

After listening to those three, I like the Kamaka. But I do have a Kanile'a K-1 T SM and I love it, everything about it. Though I much prefer my (newer) KoAloha standard soprano to my (vintage gold label) Kamaka soprano. For many of us, the only way to get some of these ukuleles is on line. It helps somewhat when there is a sound sample.

Thank you, King (can I call you by your first name?) :) They are gorgeous, aren't they. BUT I'm looking for this to be my upgrade - and hopefully - "forever uke." Frankly, I'm not looking to collect, I just want a wonderful-sounding instrument. I will keep looking. Even Ken Middleton, whose review I saw online and who raved about his new Kanile'a, said he preferred his Ohana.

Looks aren't everything. Looks aren't everything. ... Hey, goes for people, and this is as important a relationship, right?

Thank you, King (can I call you by your first name?) :) They are gorgeous, aren't they. BUT I'm looking for this to be my upgrade - and hopefully - "forever uke." Frankly, I'm not looking to collect, I just want a wonderful-sounding instrument. I will keep looking. Even Ken Middleton, whose review I saw online and who raved about his new Kanile'a, said he preferred his Ohana.

Looks aren't everything. Looks aren't everything. ... Hey, goes for people, and this is as important a relationship, right?

I saw where Ken said that, but have you noticed that he plays the Kanilea in most of his newer videos?

Thank you, MM Stan. If my husband could, he'd shake your hand in appreciation. It's what he's telling me - and I KNOW you're both right - all of you here are right. It's frustrating where we live, I can't just walk into a shop. Oh well. I'm definitely going to keep looking.

Do you think it's just a matter of - in my case, since I must mail order - just being lucky out of the box? The sound clip online sounds great, and Ken's does sound beautiful.

I should add that I'm looking for a tenor, if it makes a difference.

That's it. We have to move to Hawaii. But what a long commute to our jobs.

Thank you for your opinion. Honesty is always best, and I needed to hear this. East Village Music in NYC has a used KoAloha that I could at least hear. But then, I'm still back to mail-ordering and the luck of the draw...

Top Bottom