Strumming high and low

Keef

Reaction score
I have been observing pro uke players and they shift where they are strumming from low on the body then up on to the neck why is this? Different effects? Easyer to go fast????? Heck I don't know :)

Just a WAG, I think it depends on the strum in use and hand position to get the desired effect, whether it be a triplet, roll, or fan.

Volume is another possible reason. It tends to be louder and crisper closer to the bridge and softer and less defined toward the headstock.

I find it easier to do fast strums up the fret. It gives also a good change of pace to the voicing. Its got a decent rhythm quality to it.

Also, when you use a guitar modifying pedal like Line 6 Pocket pod, the voicing really does change its quality in the amplified sound.

The closer you play to the bridge, the brighter and more trebly the sound will be. Further from the bridge, it sounds less trebly. I don't know how much ukers consciously do that for tone, but guitarists and bassists sure do!

Yeah, Chris is right. It's all about the tone! Well, not for as many as it should be, but I would think guys like Jake use different places for different effects. One guitarist who uses it all the time to great effect is Eric Johnson. You can see him do it in almost any of his YT videos. He strums chords up the neck (right hand) and picks close to the bridge. It tightens up the chords when you strum over the fretboard. But you loose some of the full sound.

Also Jimmy Page did it a lot in Zeppelin. If you watch him in concert footage, he has a Les Paul, a Marshall, and a wah peddle and that is IT. And he gets like 50 zillion tones out of it.

The closer you play to the bridge, the brighter and more trebly the sound will be. Further from the bridge, it sounds less trebly. I don't know how much ukers consciously do that for tone, but guitarists and bassists sure do!

Yup, like Chris said it's the tone...I sometimes go in a figure eight pattern to mix the tones...or back and forth..just another technique or style....fun to do or try..
If you go to where the body meets the neck, it's sweeter there......Personal preference....I hope it helps!!Have Fun, Keep strumming them strings.....MM Stan....

Top Bottom