Alaskan Player :)

Lalakuno

Reaction score
Ok i am a high school student living in alaska right now.... lame yes i know haha.

I am most likely going to be attending UH:M and I was thinking while i am in Hawaii because i am looking at making it a permanite place to live after i graduate. I need a hobbie or something to keep me out of trouble.

I dont have any guitar type instrument. I am a drummer. Little different then a Ukulele but hell ill give it a shot.

I was looking to buy one but i was just wondering is there like a person who has the time to teach me just some basics to get me started strumming?

If so i need this barney style haha The only Strumming practice i have is on guitar hero. Im pretty good at that though lol.

Im not the richest person in the world but i can probibly find a way to scrape up some extra money to pay for someone to teach me online.

Thank you

-Zack Ralston.

Welcome. You don't need to pay anyone. There are plenty of how-to videos here to get you started.

btw, there are a couple people on this forum from Alaska. I know Alaska is kinda big, but just saying....

Thank you.

I havent event bought one yet i think i might run down to the music store in my town tomorrow and go get one. Just something cheap to get me started.

These instruments sound like alot of fun. Maybe a little more complicated then the drums? haha ive been a drummer for 8 years since I was 9 so... yeah gonna take a while for me to learn this stuff.

Thank you.

I havent event bought one yet i think i might run down to the music store in my town tomorrow and go get one. Just something cheap to get me started.

These instruments sound like alot of fun. Maybe a little more complicated then the drums? haha ive been a drummer for 8 years since I was 9 so... yeah gonna take a while for me to learn this stuff.

It won't take long. Find an easy song to start off with and in no time you'll be a pro.

Do you by any chance have a REALLLY REALLY Easy song. Im talking guitar hero is all the skill i have honestly haha.

Like the easiest song. Something i can play to my girlfriend to make it sound like im a pro :) She loves music.

Do you by any chance have a REALLLY REALLY Easy song. Im talking guitar hero is all the skill i have honestly haha.

Like the easiest song. Something i can play to my girlfriend to make it sound like im a pro :) She loves music.

There a song titled Elephant Town. It's been covered by a couple guys here. There is even a tutorial. Check it out on YouTube.

After E-Town, it depends where you want to go. Nursery rhymes are pretty easy or pick out your favorite song, look up the tabs and try strumming.

Ok Does this have alot of picking because i can already tell that i am going to suck big time at the picking parts. Ive watched Every uke minute and lesson. Doesnt seem that hard just the picking is getting to me. and the note because i know absolutly nothing about guitar notes lol

-Edit

Nvmhahah i listened to it on youtube.

Funny song.:)

Any other easy songs like that lol

Last edited:
What kind of music do you like?

Alaska is a cool place with loads of salmon but unfortunately too many drunk sons of not-very-nice-way-to-call-a-woman on the road when I visited. As for you, pick up that uke, connect to the internets and start rocking! Plenty of info to be found here, on Youtube and on other sites as well. In fact, I think there is so much info out there it is hard to know where to start, when you can't choose what to do like me.

I'm pretty sure it is not the case, but do you happen to know Hobo Jim personally? Ah, the good old times. Please send me some tapes or mp3s of that master of the wild... :music::music::music:

edit: I just found out you can get his CDs online. Wow...

Last edited:
Dont know who hobo jim is.

And for music that i like.

Well prettymuch everything except country and hard rap.

I like scremo and normal rock 80s rock i love regge and Hawaiian Standard music. Thats how i got interested in a Uke.

Besides other members from Alaska, I wonder if I'm the next closest to you, in Finland.

How I started was just browsing some youtube videos. Don't worry, not all of us are virtuosos. I'm a virtuoso-so myself. :) Uke is one of those fun kind of instruments that's easy to pick up and play, BUT, tough to play well. I like that it was that extra challenge to it.

And uke is great for reggae. There are a fair few reggae standards in the tabs subforum. :)

Another AK player

:) Glad to hear there are other AK players. I started just by carrying my uke everywhere. I plucked some C then C7 so I tried some rythm and threw in a
G7 then an F & now I play 30+ tunes. Good luck and check out Julia Nunes on MySpace.....

welcome, my friend :)

as previously stated, there are plenty of how to videos on this website alone! there is also always the option of buying a chord chart or chord finder to where you can keep it with you at all times, learn songs by chords, etc.

you'd be amazed at how simple it is to teach yourself a stringed instrument. though, getting the extra help is never a bad thing (videos, teachers, etc)

:D

best of luck to you!!

Again thank you all.

I feel verrrrrrrrrry welcome here. :)

If you guys have videos on easy songs to getme started i bought a uke today. OU3 Oscar Schmidt Concert Ukulele Nothing special my girlfriend likes it because her last name is Schmidt so yeah haha.

Top Bottom