How I make a fretboard. Uke building the wrong way!

For some reason, I liked it. Awesome!

Eddie Izzard really is AWESOME! Thanks Timbuck that was funny....and i agree :agree:

Agreed! Eddie Izzard should play ukulele - he'd get so much material for his act w/ the "no its NOT a tiny guitar" reply.

Why post the wrong way to do something?????? :confused:

Watch his video--he explains what's going on there. And if his methods meet with success, then who am I to criticize? I will say, there are easier ways, but they all cost more money, too.

Well now, how much does a metric rule really cost? You can get a good stainless steel one with 1/2 mm marks for a few bucks. Lasts a lifetime and measures as accurately as you'll need for most cases. Add a simple slide caliper and you can get down to 1/10 mm (= 1/254th of an inch).

P1010999_sm.jpg P1020001_sm.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a "Tool maker" In my former life...I had a six inch "Chestermam Rule" with a 100th of an inch graduation scale..each mark was .010" spaced ..with the aid of a jewllers eyeglass and a needle point to mark out, you could work within .005" easily...some of us could split the diffrence again and work within .0025".....this is how the swiss Watch makers used to work back in the old days.

Last edited:
How about downloading Fretcalc? It's free and can be set to the nearest 1/64th ....... in reality, NO ONE will ever hear the difference.
Fretcalc will even run in a Google search window on your browser ( Firefox anyway).

btw- he's not describing the wrong way .... just his way. It may be harder .... but if it works for him .......

Matt

Wfret does that Matt. I downloaded it from the MIMF library for free. You type in the number of frets and the scale and print a template.
Doug

Wfret does that Matt. I downloaded it from the MIMF library for free. You type in the number of frets and the scale and print a template.
Doug

Thanks Doug. I knew I'd seen/heard something like it before, but couldn't find anything when I searched.

Has anyone actually used the printed templates from Wfret?

The chart shows the correct values but the printed template is off by almost a full mm at the 12th. Granted we're not using a Heidelberg, but other programs seem to print correctly on our printer.

I recon all printed templates will be off a little from printers..Even CNC machines and plotters are way out, until they are calibrated and checked against the Software (main error is out of squareness)...Has anyone ever done an accurate dimensional check of these Stewmac / LMI templates?..or have you just trusted them ? I wouldn't ...Aw! but what the heck!..they're only Ukuleles. :D:D:D

Last edited:
My 13.75" one is spot on but I am sure the 17" first fret to nut distance is off. Weird thing is, the instruments always intonate fine...

Top Bottom