My new custom LoPrinzi uke!

bassfiddlesteve

Reaction score
I just got it today! I ordered a mahogany concert model with the older, large body style (the newer LoPrinzi concerts are not much larger than their sopranos). I also requested a 12 fret ebony fingerboard with no extension, peghed tuners and cream binding. It sounds great and I can't wait to perform and record with it. Here's a pic:

TBUS058.jpg

Here are some more pictures including some I took while it was being built: link

- Steve

Aloha Steve,
Contrats on the custom, it's a one beautiful ukulele...it kinda, sorta looks like a martin style 2 with the binding.
I like the nice tight, straight grain of the Mahogany and the finish in the sunlight make it pop even more...
Just wondering if you got it with a thin sounboard for volume of the old style or thicker like the current style for resonation and substain.
Many thanks for sharing...jus drooling and jealous.... Happy Playin'!!!! MM Stan...

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why the 12 frets? Is it purely aesthetic?

I like the feel of a neck that joins the body at the twelfth fret. I also find that the upper frets on an extended fingerboard get in my way when I am fingerpicking. I certainly never play up that high, so I'd just as soon do without them. I was also going for the vintage asthetic of a 12 fret neck and a larger body like the Martin Concert and Harmony "Johnny Marvin" Professional Tenor pictured below.

martinconcertmine.jpg

johnny01.jpg

Despite the name, the Harmony is actually a concert sized ukulele.

- Steve

I like the feel of a neck that joins the body at the twelfth fret. I also find that the upper frets on an extended fingerboard get in my way when I am fingerpicking. I certainly never play up that high, so I'd just as soon do without them. I was also going for the vintage asthetic of a 12 fret neck and a larger body like the Martin Concert and Harmony "Johnny Marvin" Professional Tenor pictured below.

- Steve

That makes a lot of sense. Better playability for you and a more traditional look. Win, win! It is a great looking uke and I look forward to seeing your videos and hearing recordings with it. I am a big fan of you and your daughters work. Keep it up!

martinconcertmine.jpg

johnny01.jpg

- Steve

Steve, that is a really important point about the upper frets get in the way of finger-picking. I never really thought about that even though I am constantly reviewing ukuleles for the magazine. I am going to have to be aware of that from now onward. That is an important observation and probably does explain the popularity of twelve-fret necks.

Steve, that is a really important point about the upper frets get in the way of finger-picking. I never really thought about that even though I am constantly reviewing ukuleles for the magazine. I am going to have to be aware of that from now onward. That is an important observation and probably does explain the popularity of twelve-fret necks.

I have that problem with the frets geting in the way of finger picking on my Kala Tenor. Great idea to just not heve them there!

JT

nice uke have fun :D

I like the feel of a neck that joins the body at the twelfth fret. I also find that the upper frets on an extended fingerboard get in my way when I am fingerpicking...

I find it feels a bit weird strumming with frets there, too, but that could just be psychological. I certainly prefer the look of a twelve-fret neck...

Aloha Steve,
I have seen you play an awesome 5K, did you just aquire that one too.....my ukulele of my dreams!!! MM Stan..

Those 5K's belonged to a friend, they weren't mine. The vintage one was just sold by Elderly Instruments. I have a Martin style1 soprano and I used to have a Martin tenor.

- Steve

Top Bottom