I think I've finally come to a string conclusion...

Graymalkin

Reaction score
...after many tries, types, and brands I think I've finally figured out the perfect string for my Kala soprano. It's a Worth brown half-way between the light and medium tensions.

Unfortunately, of course, it doesn't actually exist. But at least I know now... :)

have you tried mixing strings. heard some people try it - lights on the thinner or thicker strings etc

have you tried mixing strings. heard some people try it - lights on the thinner or thicker strings etc

Now that you've opened that can of worms, some here will never sleep again.

The problem with mixing strings is that it will be twice as expensive when it's time to change out. Granted, we're blessed to be playing an instrument who's strings are extremely cheap (I'd hate to play bass, for example).

I've noticed some string makers have a gauge where they fatten only the first and fourth. I might like a lighter 3rd because most sets boom out on the 3rd string.

And besides gauge, I've been mixing natural gut with fishing line, because sometimes the lighter strings fray and go bad when the others are still ok. It works quite well, you can't really tell much difference.

I had actually considered fitting mediums for the G & A strings, but I've no idea how well that would work.

I love the feel of the Worth lights, but the sound on my spruce-top is perhaps a little too weighted toward reverb & sustain - and the mediums are a bit too uncomfortable to play and perhaps too far toward the bright end of the sound-spectrum. It's actually quite surprising how different they sound - assuming I'm not imagining it/ misremembering the last set/ still drunk, of course...

If you're listening, Worth, a 'quite light' string would be magic!

Top Bottom