Custom Tuner Knob question

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
Just started making my first Uke's (1 for me and my wife) and thinking ahead. I haven't ordered tuners yet and all the plastic knobs bother me. I was wondering if anyone ever used antler/bone and made their own knobs? Do the knobs thread on or are they pressed one/ use epoxy? If they are threaded on, does anyone know where to buy threaded inserts? I have boatloads of antler lying around so I am always trying to figure out how to use it. I plan on trying to make a nut and saddle from it as well.

I made these koa buttons for this ukulele. The tuners are Gotho SGMs. You unscrew the screw in the end and slide the buttons off and on, then rescrew. I laminated 3 pieces of 3mm koa with space inbetween the middle layer for the post to slide onto. Drilling a 3mm hole into the antler may work in your case. Laminating layers of antler may be a chore. I really like the Gothos, they are really smooth. Dont know what kind of tuners you are interested in though, these are closed geared. I know the open geared grover ukulele tuner buttons just slide on and off. The post is similar size to the Gothos.

This may not help much, and I cant help at all with the saddle/nut.

Take care,
Thomas

koa-buttons.jpgkoa-top-full.jpg

Those are awesome. The antler will be thick enough that no laminations should ne needed. Thanks for the advise, I will look into those tuners.

Top Bottom