Jawaiian Music?

puremarkska

Reaction score
Was just talking about this - in hawaii during the 90's the term "Jawaiian" was used a lot to describe a specific style of music. I haven't heard it being used a lot lately ... but then again, I haven't heard any really good Jawaiian music lately at all.

Have you?

I've pretty much abandoned listening to most of the "island music" that's put out today just because, well, it sucks. But yeah, I just saw a vid from this kid from Castle HS. The video is pretty bad (as in bad) but his voice is meeeen, and if he starts putting out more stuff (and writes more inspired lyrics), I might start listening again.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-534395557844161608&hl=en

Does anybody else feel the same way about hawaii's local music scene? What would it take for you to go back to it?

just for clarification... "jawaiian" music is basically the stuff you hear from the local bands like Next G, Koa'uka, Kohomua, Ho'okoa, Ho'onu'a, etc etc etc? stuff on 98.5FM and kccn100 right? just wondering.

as for that video, you werent lyin about how bad it was hahaha. that was some of the worst skankin ive ever seen haha. but hey its all for fun. i think if the song had a more significant bass line it would be better to listen to. youre right though, he has a really good voice.

i've been in and out of local music. i just don't find myself drawn to it as much anymore either, especially when the same songs are being played over and over and over on the radio. but still listen to some older songs so i got those lol

just for clarification... "jawaiian" music is basically the stuff you hear from the local bands like Next G, Koa'uka, Kohomua, Ho'okoa, Ho'onu'a, etc etc etc? stuff on 98.5FM and kccn100 right? just wondering.
yes'sir

as for that video, you werent lyin about how bad it was hahaha. that was some of the worst skankin ive ever seen haha. but hey its all for fun. i think if the song had a more significant bass line it would be better to listen to. you're right though, he has a really good voice.

Jawaiian is the label for the local style of crappy formulaic pop music... repetitive chord progressions, simple lyrics, and my personal pet peeve, lame keyboard/synth sounds.

There are a lot of good local reggae bands that you may occasionally hear on the radio, but only if you listen to KTUH 90.3... but even then there are a lot of crappy reggae bands down here too. Actually, some of the cheesier bands are trying to sound more "roots"-ish and ditching the synth brass for real brass.

If you want what I think of as good local reggae, I would google Ooklah the Moc.

yes'sir

Jawaiian is the label for the local style of crappy formulaic pop music... repetitive chord progressions, simple lyrics, and my personal pet peeve, lame keyboard/synth sounds.

There are a lot of good local reggae bands that you may occasionally hear on the radio, but only if you listen to KTUH 90.3... but even then there are a lot of crappy reggae bands down here too. Actually, some of the cheesier bands are trying to sound more "roots"-ish and ditching the synth brass for real brass.

If you want what I think of as good local reggae, I would google Ooklah the Moc.

hahaha i love ooklah the moc. but i guess being from the mainland, i cant hate on the jawaiian style. its been such a big influence on me as far as actually wanting to play music. yeah, its repetitive and its easy to learn a song. but for the past few years that ive been listening to it, none of it has gotten old. i guess its different when youre from there. for us here, its still "feel good island music", where even the songs with a sad meaning (like heartache from one groove) make you smile and bob your head hahaha.

Yeah...me too. The first time I heard Jawaiian music was when I first visited Hawaii in 2004. Since then, that's pretty much what I listen to since I got tired of all the other stuff here on the mainland. It's what inspired me to learn how to play the guitar and ukulele. I never get tired of listening to Ekolu, Nuffsedd, Koauka, and others. I like Oshen's songs too. I guess if you're from Hawaii, you may get tired of it since you hear it a lot. It's not played on the radio here on the mainland, so the only time I can hear it is if I listen to my CDs.

hahaha i love ooklah the moc. but i guess being from the mainland, i cant hate on the jawaiian style. its been such a big influence on me as far as actually wanting to play music. yeah, its repetitive and its easy to learn a song. but for the past few years that ive been listening to it, none of it has gotten old. i guess its different when youre from there. for us here, its still "feel good island music", where even the songs with a sad meaning (like heartache from one groove) make you smile and bob your head hahaha.

I agree. I used to always listen to hip hop/rap. Then these songs lately have just gotten ridiculous. These new artists have no imagination in their lyrics. So now, all I do is recycle all my jawaiian music, or hawaiian music, I'll also throw in some reggae. I mean, I can never stop listening to C&K and Kalapana. If you feel a little uppity play some koauka, three plus and stuff. Add in some Bob and Gregory Isaacs, and you're more than good to go. So much better than what's on the radio.

Haha, yeah, a friend of mine just asked me to figure out "Midnight Hour" by San Diego Island Boys (http://www.myspace.com/sdibmusic) and it was cool, because after not listening to jawaiian music for so long, it was Soooo easy to figure out!! The picking is easy, too, and actually pretty fun to play. Stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Ahh, jawaiian music, why do you hurt so good sometimes.

oh yeah, and I forgot to mention ... that song is about this guy and how he's in love with his ukulele. Hilarious!

Top Bottom