glacial uke

Harold O.

Reaction score
Glacial? Yes, indeed. I know some people on this forum aren't even 20 years old yet, but my wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a long-planned Alaskan cruise. We just got back and all those great things you hear about an Alaska cruise are true. PM me and I'll give you more details than you really want.

Cutting to the point, they wouldn't allow me to take my uke on the glacier adventure tour in the helicopter due to FAA regulations, but I did manage to get in front of the Mendenhall Glacier and strum a bit.

My girls and I were walking along the pier at Juneau when a tour guide saw me carrying the uke case. He hollered over and said he'd throw in a few coins if I'd play him a tune. I answered by asking instead for a bus ticket to the glacier. It worked! I played for a couple of minutes, he gave me a round trip ticket (worth about $30) and I came away with a story and this great shot in front of the Mendenhall ice.

Nothing says Alaska quite like a ukulele.

Attachments

• glacier-uke.jpg
    glacier-uke.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 77
Aloha Harold,
Congrats on your 20th anniversity.....and what a way to celebrate it...must have been fun eh....
That was strange with the helicoper and the FCC....was he pulling your leg???can't imagine what it was??
That was nice of a the guy to buy you a bus ticket...was he a local or tourist????Anyways it looks like nice
country up there...Thanks for sharing....MM Stan....

Nice one H, congratulations to you and the Mrs.

----That was strange with the helicoper and the FCC....was he pulling your leg???can't imagine what it was??

Naw, they said it was regulation regarding loose objects in the cockpit. Since a helicopter is essentially ALL cockpit, they held my uke at the station.

-------That was nice of a the guy to buy you a bus ticket...was he a local or tourist????

The guy was a local tour operator. Since he was the guy selling tickets, he comped me one. Said he was from Cincinnati. Came out on a cruise six years ago. Went home, packed his suff, came back to Juneau and has no regrets.

--------Anyways it looks like nice country up there

It is VERY BIG country. Hard to put into words.

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary, and the cruise. Today is our 17th. I think we're celebrating by having me mow the lawn. I guess 17 isn't really a recognized milestone. Actually, we're going to dinner too, now that I think about it... lol.

Congratulations to you and the Mrs!
and that is an awesome story! I wish people would pay me to play! I feel like I'm more likely to get paid to STOP playing.
Glad you had a good time in Alaska, and I'm glad you took your uke to see the sites! haha

Nice picture! Congrats to you both!

lovely story harold. Thanks so much.

And thankyou too for your signature there. Life isn't always a bed of roses and we all need to endeavour to persevere. It reminds me of a line of John Ruskin's that Linus quotes to Lucy in one of the Peanuts comic strips: "The best grace is the consciousness that we have earned our dinner".

Congratulations on 20 years of marriage mate. eugene

And thankyou too for your signature there.

Actually, it's taken from a line in the movie Outlaw Josey Wales. Chief Lone Watti tells Wales that the US governement suggested in treaty talks that the indians should "Endevor to persevere." There's a lot to the story and I'm not an Indian. But I always liked Cheif Dan George's work and Josey Wales is an old movie favorite.

Top Bottom