D chord

tingyangs6

Reaction score
I'm a noobie. What is the code for the D chord? For example, the F chord is (2100). Also, is there an alternative for the D chord. I just barred the second fret on the top three strings but it doesn't sound the same as the song I want to play. What are other ways and the codes? Thanks

Give me your email address via a private message and I will send you a variety of chord charts.

a couple of quick thoughts. Apart from the 2220 you mentioned, try

(i) 2225
(ii) 7655 (played as a barre chord), or, if you're feeling really game
(iii) 11/9/10/9 (which is the standard "G" shape played 7 frets up)

The first two sound the same and should give you a sweeter, richer tone than the chord shape you mentioned

For example, the F chord is (2100).

Just as a point in fact, an F chord is really 2010. (2100 is an A chord) :)

But anyway, Eugene's alternate versions are good. I'm a fan of 2225 myself.

If it still doesn't sound right, it could be that it's just not the right chord for the song in the first place. This happens a lot with chords you find on the internet. People post them, and sometimes they're just wrong.

If you still don't have any luck, post the name of the song in the "Song Help" section, and we'll try to figure it out.

JJ

Year of the F chord - I like that!
Which will be the next year of a chord and which chord will it be?

Year of the F chord - I like that!
Which will be the next year of a chord and which chord will it be?

They're all chord years (until the year 10,000 anyway). It's just a matter of how pleasant the chord sounds. :)

But the next "normal" chord will come in 2013... and it's also an F (my preferred way of playing F, in fact).

I'm holding out for the Year of the Hawaiian D7.

JJ

So what's not "normal" about Fsus4 (2011)?

The fact that it still has the third (A) in it on the fourth string. A "normal" Fsus4 would be 3011 or 3013.

It's not illegal to play the sus4 and third together, and it can even sound good, but it sure ain't normal. :)

JJ

This works in some cases, but it is a D6 chord and may not fit everywhere.
Personally I have become a fan of 2225 for D, and can easily roll to 2223 a D7 which is a common progression.

Just for grins 2224 is Dmaj7 playing D,Dmaj7,D7 is a cool little riff that sometimes fits.

Some chords give us problems (may not be the same for all), there are different fingerings that each of us may find easier than others.
I don't believe in learning shortcuts as sometimes re-learning or breaking a bad habit can be more difficult that learning the right way the first time.

Top Bottom