Worth strings

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Just ordered new Worth strings for a Concert Ukulele. I'm a little confused with the different Clear flourocarbons. Worth refers to them as Hard (CD), Medium (CM), and Light (CL). I suppose these refer to the tension. I see that the CL has a smaller gauge for the 1st and 4th strings than the CD or CM. However, the CD and CM models are the same gauge for 1st and 4th strings. All three have the same gauge for the 2nd and 3rd strings. Does anyone have experience with these Worth strings and can explain the differences?

The differences are how they feel to your finger tips Hard = hard etc. Browns seem to be softest on your finger tips and I use them on more fragile ukes.
How does the tension compare between the brown light and clear light? I've got regular clears on my mahogany concert and really like them, but I'm looking for strings for my 20's Kumalae and need to keep the tension to a minimum since the soundboard is already bowed. Any other strings with very light tension anyone can recommend?

How does the tension compare between the brown light and clear light? I've got regular clears on my mahogany concert and really like them, but I'm looking for strings for my 20's Kumalae and need to keep the tension to a minimum since the soundboard is already bowed. Any other strings with very light tension anyone can recommend?
I would like a similar recommendation for a 40's Martin. Not digging Aquilas on it and looking for something made for an older instrument.

Aloha Huckleberry,
The different sizes refer to the different string gauges which have different tension that has different sounds, the thicker the string..the sweeter the sound.
the thinner and it's brighter and has a little more better comfort and playability....it's a trade off between comfort and playability and quality of sound...
Try out each one to see where that middle point is for you, personal preference...where you are comfortable with both.... and then there are more options,
different brands too....should keep you busy for awhile...MM Stan..

which does koaloha use? i got a set on my concert and want to order another set but don't know which set to order.

I use Worth Brown Lights on my vintage ukes, especially the Kamakas, a concert and a circa 1940-ish pineapple. Both have belly dips because the tops are so thin, but they sound great. The browns feel softer to me than the clears, and sound warmer. MGM originally recommended the lights for the older ukes.

which does koaloha use? i got a set on my concert and want to order another set but don't know which set to order.

They don't.

I spoke with papa himself and while they endorse worth's (and he says they are great), they use their own which they do not sell at the moment...

Top Bottom