I just played uke at a wedding!

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some friend of mine got married yesterday and had me play some music for the ceremony. For three of the songs I was on piano (backing up my girlfriend--a violinist--for the bridal processional, playing/singing a duet with another vocalist for one song, and just accompanying the vocalist for a third).

But they also wanted me to do "The Wedding Song (There is Love)" on ukulele! It turns out to suit the uke pretty well.

Nobody punched me in the face afterwards, so I guess it came out okay. :cool:

JJ

Sweet! Do you not play out much? Because if you don't, that would be a crying shame. You are awesome.

Nice! Did you have to plug in your uke to get it loud enough?
I played uke at my cousin's wedding on the beach and we had to use 200ft of extension chords to get power to my amp!

Do you not play out much? Because if you don't, that would be a crying shame. You are awesome.

Thanks, Seeso. I only gig occasionally, and it's usually on keys. So a uke gig was a fun treat.

Nice! Did you have to plug in your uke to get it loud enough?

I put a mic on it. The bummer was that the sound system had just one volume setting for all three mic inputs(!). So I wound up "mixing" the vocal/uke level just with mic positioning--the uke mic was right up on it and the vocal mic was about a foot-and-a-half in front of my face.

I wound up using the Lanikai LU-21 Soprano that I got via an Amazon Gold Box offer for $35 awhile back. I would've preferred to use my Flea, but I figured they'd want something that looked more traditionally like a ukulele.

JJ

Aloha Ukulele JJ,
Congrats on playing your ukulele as the main instrument,,,I'm sure it was fun and you had a great time as well as everyone there!!
Glad to hear everything went well, and you enjoyed yourself....thanks for sharing!! "Keep on strumming them strings" MM Stan..

Fantastic JJ. That would have been really nice mate. Aaah, the ukulele, the instrument of loooooove...

The last time I played for anyone, I got tomatoes thrown at me. They asked never to come back again ! And I thought I was good. Go figure............Howie

That is awesome! :D Congrats!

Top Bottom