Kala KA-SMHCE-C Mahogany Concert Cutaway

carterdj95

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a uke about a month ago because I wanted something a tad more portable than my beloved spinet. ;) I got a simple entry level Lanikai Concert ukulele. I love the uke so much that I want to upgrade to something a little nicer with some heft and, most importantly, an output jack. After shopping around some I really like the look and idea of the aforementioned Kala uke. So if you all have any opinions on the quality, price, et cetera of it; it would be much appreciated.

TL;DR: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS UKE?

Aloha carter,

Not to be offensive to kala or your opinion, but in my city, that model sells for around 525 dollars (melbourne, australia). So i would think it's slightly overpriced, although it sounds well and is loud, I'm guessing you could get a much better uke at that price, but that's just my own opinion :)

Aloha Carter,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele....to answer your question..Get the best you can afford, that way you'll
save on future upgrades and end with alot of low end ukes that you've grown attached to and can't get rid of...plus if you
did, they wouldn't be worth much...with a better uke, you'll probally learn faster, playability and comfort would be better and
it'll sound better. The best thing to do is, go and try them out, and see what sound you like or pleases you....and go from
there...make a wishlist before you go so you know what you're looking because you'll get excited and may forget something.
no impulse buying, take your time and try and pick and choose the best one that pleases you...if you don't find anything at
one store move on to the next..Good Luck! MM Stan..

Aloha carter,

Not to be offensive to kala or your opinion, but in my city, that model sells for around 525 dollars (melbourne, australia). So i would think it's slightly overpriced, although it sounds well and is loud, I'm guessing you could get a much better uke at that price, but that's just my own opinion :)

Yeah, but here in the Midwest U.S. I can find a new one for 300 with tax and 200 used in great condition. I completely agree, I wouldn't spend 500+ dollars on anything but a house, car, computer, or piano. ;-D

I am also in the Midwest USA and there are some decent performing ukes available in your price range. Check Mainland Ukes for nicely made imports and HoosierHiver (member of this board) owns the company. He's a good guy.

Top Bottom