Eleuke: Tenor or Concert?

musiccityuker

Reaction score
I'm suffering a severe pang of UAS. I want to add an Eleuke to my arsenal in a bad way. Torn between Tenor and Concert. I have otherl acoustic ukes and tend to like the more traditional sound of the soprano and concert better than my basier tenor. Two questions: ONE: Is the tenor Eleuke a noticeably basier sound than a concert Eleuke or does the amplification negate that?.... And... TWO: is the tenor Eleuke strung with any wound strings or are they all nylon? Thanks much for any help you can offer.

Tim in Twang Town USA

The Eleuke are strung with the exact same strings as acoustic ukes.
It's basically an acoustic-electric uke with no hollow body, but just the piezo pickups and electronics (tone/volume, headphone, etc).

Tenors usually don't have a wound string, though you may choose to use one for low-G.
They come with high-G by default (no wound).

The sound difference won't be very big through an amplifier between concert and tenor. It would mostly be a preference on what size and string feel you prefer.

Kissing...

Thanks so much. Kind of a novice at all of this still.. even after 2.5 years. BUT... love these little music boxes and always anxious to learn more. So, again, thanks for taking time to share your expertise... very much appreciated... and very helpful.

Music City Uker

I find the eleuke sizing to be very odd indeed - put it this way, I had a supposed soprano eleuke, but it was larger and had more frets than any concert acoustic uke I've played. Gawd knows how big the tenors are!

I found the soprano was, to me, a concert.

I would say tenor, but I'm bias to tenors, there is less restriction for my hands... I feel comfortable using it. I can't use a soprano.... I almost have an anxiety attack using them... hahahah, no joke.

i have a couple tenor ukes and a concert eleuke. the concert is noticeably shorter in scale than my tenors, but my concert eleuke has 2 more frets than either of my acoustic tenors. as far as i know, the tenor and concert eleukes have the same amount of frets (20) and the sopranos generally have 12. sound wise, when i played a tenor eleuke and my concert back to back plugged into an amp, i didn't notice any difference of sound. so, basically, the choice comes down to what scale size you want.

With a good amp and a effects pedal you can make your eleuke sound anyway you want!!!

Top Bottom