Are there any Mahalo Les Paul or Telecaster styles that are Concert size?

The Kiwaya K-Wave ukes are concert scale. There were both Les Paul (V2) and Tele (V1) styles, but I'm not sure if they are still in production. I have a K-Wave Tele, which I bought used on eBay....I love it!

Both are hollow bodied acoustic/electrics made of mahogany, and both include pick-ups. Both (I believe) have maple necks and fretboards.

Check with Elderly, as I know they once carried them. I wish I could post a photo for you, but I can never figure out how to do it....

They look nice, but are a bit too pricey. I was just looking at the Mahalo ones to use as my first uke. Figured for something that cheap I could learn how to handle it and such, plus it looked cool. Thanks for the info, though!

As cheap as Mahalo are, they are not the best to use as a first uke.

That being said, I have a Mahalo soprano Les Paul, and love it.
However, I made some changes to the uke myself. I sanded down the saddle to get the strings down to a more comfortable height ("action").
Changing the strings to a new set of Aquilas also improves the tone. They appear to come with Aquila strings (well, they're white), but they sound pretty dead out of the box. Possibly because they've been set up with those strings for a long time in the shop.

Still, you could do far better for a first ukulele if you get a Makala soprano or concert. Perhaps even an Oscar Schmidt. They're around the same prices as the Mahalos, but are generally more reliable as instruments. But then again... it does look like a Les Paul... *can't resist*.

If you do get the Mahalo, don't expect it to be uberly good quality. You'll notice problems such as uncomfortable high string height, and intonation being a bit iffy.
If you sand down the saddle, you could probably get it to feel somewhat comfortable play, and changing the strings to new Aquilas may make it sound decent.
The electronics aren't fantastic, but they're not completely garbage either. I have one of the newer models that take the 9 volt batteries instead of the old models that took watch batteries.
The output is not very loud, and with mine you have to keep the volume and tone knob fixed at the 2 'o clock position for it to sound balanced. Otherwise, some strings sound a bit louder than the others through the amplifier. I found this to be the case on 2 Mahalo Les Pauls - dunno if it applies to all of them.

Last edited:
Wow, I was just looking for what someone referred to me as a "beater". I don't want to have to do work on it. hahaa I need to learn to play, change strings, tune, etc., so I figured I'd do it on something that was cheaper and had a cool look to it(just for fun). I am considering a Kala or Mainland for my "first" uke, and I would rather have handled and played a little bit before I start playing with one that I am going to hug and squeeze and love and call him George. haha

well the Mahalo *is* a beater uke.. a beater uke being a relatively cheap uke which isn't the best to play, but still works.

You could probably happily strum along with a Mahalo straight from the shop. Personally, I found the action to be a bit high for comfort, and couldn't resist sanding the saddle down.
Even now, it feels a tad high for my liking, but I think if I go any lower, I risk going too far...

So while I still love my Mahalo Les Paul because it's grown on me and I've made some custom changes to it... I wouldn't recommend them very highly as someone looking for a good quality starter uke. They come with some problems which a beginner may find a bit frustrating. For the same price or less, you can get a ukulele with a more playable setup and reliable intonation. The reason why I like my Mahalo is not because it's a great uke. I just find it a good fun and cheap instrument which I can easily replace if it gets broken or lost. My other ukes are considerably higher quality (and expensive x_X) and are the ones I would use for a live performance or recording. They're the instruments I would do my 'learning' on.
However, for some casual, carefree strumming away at a park or the lounge, the Mahalo is easier to reach.

Kala and Mainland are fantastic choices for first uke.
Mainland - no explanation needed - they're one of the most popular makers here, and everyone seems happy with their ukes.

Kala is especially good if you order from Musicguymic, who does all that adjustment stuff + string changes to the ukes he sells. Even his cheapest ukes (Makala "dolphin" ukes) have a good reputation.
Though Musicguymic's setup has a lot to do with it. I tried my friend's Makala dolphin the other day (from non-Musicguymic store), and boy the action is high x_X nothing like how Musicguymic sets it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom