String tension?

roxhum

Reaction score
I noticed in a post regarding what do you look for when purchasing a ukulele that someone wrote that they wanted tension on the strings, not too soft. I returned a really nice uku because I did not like the tension and bought one that is soft and for me easier to play. So my question; is more string tension this something you grow into as you become more proficient on the uku or is it just a personal thing at all levels? What are the pros and cons regarding string tension.

Thank you all in advance.

Roxhum

Aloha Roxhum,
You've got the right idea, Personal perference...but it effects tone, comfort and playability too. It's a trade off,
sometimes one will trade a little for another...changeing you strings help you accomadate that, thinner for more
playability...makes them brighter and thicker for a richer sound but stiffer tension...I hope it helps!!!Good Luck
and Have Fun..."Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

String tension depends on three things: scale (a soprano has less tension than a concert and it has less than a tenor). Then string type - some strings like Aquilas aer tougher, so feel more tense. I find black strings feel lighter and looser to me. And then there's tuning. D tuning has more tension than C tuning.

Then string type - some strings like Aquilas aer tougher, so feel more tense...

I've always thought Aquilas were quite a light tension - at least on my soprano. They're certainly more comparable to the Worth lights than the Worth mediums (to my fingertips, at least)...

Top Bottom