Changed Strings... Wacko Intonation

70sSanO

Reaction score
In the past I have changed strings without any intonation issues.

So this past weekend I decided to swap out my current Aquilas on my tenor for a new set. Everything went well except the high G. The intonation was sharp by 20+ cents.

Put the old one on, fine... new one back on, intonation off. Bad string... probabaly.

I didn't really want to put the old string back on, so I decided to put some new Worth Brown Strong strings I had laying around and the High G is right on... but the C string with the Worths is now sharp by 20+ cents.

Is it possible that both sets have one bad string?

Is this very common?

I have never encountered this before.

John

I had an aquila set with one bad string. It was very weird--I thought I had bent the ukulele, because just one string was off. A new set made everything good again. The bad string probably wasn't of uniform thickness.

Try swapping the problem string end-for-end. I've not tried it, but I've read that it sometimes helps....

Gosh... all the more reason not to change strings... just buy a new uke! :p

just joking.... :D

I'd let the strings settle and stretch for a day or so and see if the problem resolves itself.
The Aquilas really stretch the Worths not so much.

Gosh... all the more reason not to change strings... just buy a new uke! :p

just joking.... :D

Get one of those "factory tuned Ukes" and never have to tune it again. ;-)

Aloha John,
Be patient as SailingUke suggested and let the strings break in....and have three revolutions of string around your tuner posts...
Good Luck...MM Stan...

Top Bottom