Individual String Saddles

70sSanO

Reaction score
I had some really strange intonation problems with a set of Aquila and Worth, I posted in Uke Talk.

In a nutshell, each set had a bad string, or I think a bad string, where either a G or C string ended up 20+ cents sharp while all the others are fine.

This has gotten me thinking about using 4 individual saddles rather than a single saddle.

With an 18" scale and if the saddle pieces are snug, it would seem there is enough string tension to keep them in place, provided someone is not going to windmill a uke. And it would make it pretty simple changing to different types of strings with differnet diameters, or low/high G, etc. by just replacing a saddle. Not to make saddle material too important, but it would be possible to mix-n-match to accentuate highs or lows on particular strings.

Other than the pieces sliding, are there any other issues?

Any improvement in tone?

Then again, I may just have too much time on my hands.

John

Definitely too much time on your hands
Some guitars use pin bridges where each string is on a different saddle post. Electric guitars usualy have adjustable saddles too...but that machinery is too heavy for accoustics. Its certainly possible to make 4 separate saddles. Just alot of work without much reward

You are talking about the fretted intonation, right? Well, you could try adjusting the saddle crown for the strings that are off by slanting away from the nut a bit, but I really would only do that if the particular string was consistently off. You might want to just try some other strings first....

Top Bottom