Amplifying a Cigar Box

Michael Gregan

Reaction score
Hello, I want to build a cigar box ukulele and am looking for a humbucking or fatter sounding pickup, however I want to use nylon strings. Can anyone recommend a screamer?

Thanks

Sorry, but you can't use a steel-string pickup like a humbucker with nylon strings. The pickup works with magnets, so nylon strings won't work. There is a way for guitars, but it's really too expensive....

For a ukulele with nylon strings you can use a piezo transducer (which is attach to the soundboard or under the saddle and picks up the actual vibrations directly) or just get yourself a good mic.

Saw the title and thought, "Cigar boxes don't make much sound. I wonder how you amplify one? Now a cigar box uke, that's a different story. Maybe he should convert his cigar box into one.";)

Look up "cigar box amplifiers" to match. They're fun - though limited tonally. I mean, you just can't fit a 10 or 12 inch driver into an 8 inch box -- not to mention the depth and the total volume for whatever else you want to put in there....... But a cbu with a cba is a perfection combination, I think.

Top Bottom