First day with the new ukulele

UkeRyder

Reaction score
I got my Makala in the mail this morning, pulled it out, tuned it and started to practice. I have to say my first reaction is how can anyone play this instrument? My fingers are so sore they feel like they are going to bleed, I have tried to manipulate my fingers into positions that seem physically impossible, and the sounds that come from this uke are anything but music.

I plan to try to practice at least everyday, but right now I feel so awkward just trying to get my fingers into place, then when I do, they throb like crazy. I thought at first I was pressing to hard, but if I let up the tone goes south, and sounds horrible. I have several beginners books that I am reading, but I am having a hard time keeping up with how quickly they progress into the next phase during the lesson. I am wondering if my fingers just are not physically built for this.

Is it normal for your forearms, wrist and fingers too feel so bad while practicing? I am a total newcomer to a stringed instrument, so I apologize if these have been asked a million times already.

I am done for today, my fingers have no more feeling in them and i have to take my daughter to soccer practice.

Welcome to UU! Don't get discouraged! Like any new endeavor, playing the uke involves a learning curve. Luckily for new players, the curve is not very steep.

In the beginning your fingers will get a bit sore. Soon, though, those fingertips will begin to toughen up and you'll not even notice discomfort. Practice regularly, but avoid marathon sessions. Don't practice to the point of frustration or you'll stop practicing all together. Start with 3 or 4 basic chords, practicing switching from one to another until you become proficient. Then find some simple songs that use those chords and play some actual music.

Once you find that you can actually play a few simple songs, you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Consider attending a local uke group. Most are very welcoming of beginners, and it's an excellent way to learn. Most importantly....Have fun!

Just wait for your first peel.....it's a proud, proud day for all new ukers.

Sally speaks the truth.

Happy New Uke Day!!!

Yes, I guess just like everything else it takes, effort, time and practice. I think my expectations were a bit elevated, I thought i would get the Uke start with the chords I had studied, and go from there. I did not take into account that I would have such difficulty just getting my fingers into the right place. Back up a few steps, start from the very beginning, and get the fingering down first, that is my new plan. I will take some time this evening after the family goes to bed and start working on getting the fingering down on some basic chords. I just hope this callousing that happens comes quick, man are my fingers sore!

I just hope this callousing that happens comes quick, man are my fingers sore!
It takes some time. Be patient. Sounds like you overdid it for your first day. If you think your fingers are sore now, just wait til you try again tomorrow. But try again you must. Even 15-20 minutes a day - every day - for a few weeks will build them up.

If you think uke strings are hard on your fingers... well, you could be playing a steel string guitar or a mandolin where the steel strings are doubled. :eek:

Aloha UkeRyder,
Yup, I think you may have over did it for the first day...can't blame you, the uke is so fun....
Anyways in time your finger tips will develop callouses..it's a good thing, sorta like a badge of honor
kinda thing and to protect the soft tissue of your finger tips.
As for your finger positioning and chord progression, it'll take some to get accustomed to it...find ways best for you.
Just remember...Practice, Patience, and Perserverence is the keys to ukulele success...
I'd start with kids songs first as it teaches the basic foundation of rhythm and timing...sing along.
When starting off, pick songs with easy one or two chords first(google Dr. Uke) and take it slow..
Jumping too far ahead may cause fustration, take it in slow steps...Don't rush things..
And stick to easy songs for awhile, I'd rather play easy songs good first and enjoy it, than play harder
songs badly and get fustrated..you'll know when you're ready for the next step...
Have fun and "Keep Strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Last edited:
Just wait for your first peel.....it's a proud, proud day for all new ukers.

Peel??? I re-finished my deck this weekend and my index finger on my left hand feels funny and is kind of peeling. I pondered how I got stain on my finger, except no staining. Is this my first peel? A right of passage? Am I truly a ukulele player now? WhoaWho!

P.S.

Hang in there. I am a newbie too. I am frustrated because I can't play When My guitar Gently weeps after one month. First time ever that I have played a string instrument. However I can play the chords while singing off key Clementine and Buffalo Gals.

Also I wonder how much tension is on your strings. I have a uku with real soft tension. Much easier on your fingers.
Roxhum

2 months ago, I had the same problems.

Now, 2 months in and its still fun.

Set the goals and objectives a little lower each day and do the "boot camp".

Also I wonder how much tension is on your strings. I have a uku with real soft tension. Much easier on your fingers.
Roxhum

Seems very stiff, I got the Aquila (Sp.) I read that they are very good. I'll keep at it for a coupleof more weeks, if I am still having problems, I'll consider different strings.

Seems very stiff, I got the Aquila (Sp.) I read that they are very good. I'll keep at it for a coupleof more weeks, if I am still having problems, I'll consider different strings.
I know a lot of people really like the Aquila nylgut strings, but I found them to be hard and harsh on my fingers. I much prefer the Worth fluorocarbons. And I like the browns over the clears. YMMV.

@ukeryder
i think the aquilas are way softer than for example the worth strings, maybe the action on your uke is too high. where did you order it?

I "played" until my fingers were numb after a few days and they were numb on the tips for weeks! I actually did get some callouses going. I found I had less soreness with Worths over Aquilas as noted, but at this point they will all make your fingers sore. I also had trouble getting stubborn fingers to bend and still do, but they are much more flexible now. Everyone will tell you to practice. It gets easier before it gets harder.

@ukeryder
i think the aquilas are way softer than for example the worth strings, maybe the action on your uke is too high. where did you order it?

I got it from ebay from musicguymic, I did a lot of research and he had a great reputation, as did the Makala MK-S I ordered. What could be done if the action is too high?

If it came from MGM I would be surprised if the action was too high, he has a tremendous reputation for good set up.It might be worth posting a couple of pics of the action though. Aches and pains really do happen to everyone when they start. I played guitar for years before finding the Uke. I play the Uke far more than the guitar and my fingers ached, the tips peeled and toughened. I objected to resting because I was enjoying it so much. But took a couple of days where I rested my chording hand and concentrated solely on strumming patterns by muting all the strings with my left hand. Stick with it believe me you will have that eureka moment when the hard work suddenly falls into place and the aches and pains subside. It is worth it.

Boot Camp??

Go to the introduction section and click on the thread:; Hello from Washington and go to the 6th posting..
It's Uncle Rod Higuchi's posting ...on the bottom left by his signature is his teaching links that he generously
shares with all members...click on those...one is boot camp!!! Thanks Again, Uncle Rod...Much Appriciated...

Keep it up

Hey , I know how you feel buddy .

I just started a week ago. I went so hard my strum finger got sore and was pussing out. I know its an over the top description but it was sore.
I tend not to read a lot of books. Cajse I take him so much and spit out nothing lol

I first went to this site. http://www.ukeschool.com/ukulele/lessons/beginner.html is a good starter for noobs like me, and perhaps you?

Now I can play Happy Birthday to you and can pick "My Girl" but not strum that good yet.

This is with a $20 dollar ukulele and it sounds beautiful and I'll upgrade when I can afford it.

Keep it up. You need to crawl before you can walk ;)

You are going to feel it in your left forearm and elbow too if you play too long due to the way in which you have to twist your left arm below the elbow in order to form chords and hold down strings. Add the pressure required of your left hand fingers and you are putting a lot of strain on the fingers, forearm and elbow at the same time. Give that left arm a break once in a while and straighten it out. You may get tendonitis in that elbow if you play too long without a break. Like anything else in life, too much, too often is not always a good thing!

Top Bottom