Okay, this is driving me BATTY! What do I do?

Clobbersaurus

Reaction score
For months, and you can look back and my posts and see it has been months, I have been trying to buy my first uke, but I have been so torn on so many things. So I bring this to all of you now. I have the itch to start learning so badly, and thought you all could help me narrow it down. Here's my first dilemna:

Do I buy a (as it was referred to me as)"beater" to learn on, or do I just jump in and buy something I decently nice(in the $300) range. Not looking for recommendations on models here, that will be in my next inquiry. My question is if I should buy something cheaper to learn to star playing on, to learn how to tune and change strings on, not worry so much about taking care of it like it was my child, etc., or do I just jump right with something that I will have to take a lot of care of, not knowing how to play even a chord yet on it, nor knowing how to tune it, etc.?

I've been lurking around for months and see how passionate you all are, so I am asking for your help in getting me on my path.

Thanks for any responses!

I started on a cheapie Ohana (which I still use as my beach uke) but within a matter of weeks was frustrated with the tone as well as what I thought to be my own slow progress. When I bought my next uke, a Koaloha, I swear that having a better instrument made me play at least 25% better. Honestly I can't say whether it was just more of a pleasure to play, or if the beautiful tone of a quality instrument can make even a newbie sound halfway decent! Regardless - my thinking was that if I bought a "K" brand and didn't stick with it, I could always re-sell it at not much of a loss.

That's my longwinded way of saying that I would recommend starting with the best you can afford.

Personally, I would go the "beater" route. That way you learn what you would want in a better 'ukulele. A nicer one is going to sound better off the get go, but I still think you should work your way up the ladder to make sure you are spending the money where you've had experience. Even if the beater sucks, you will know exactly what you DON'T want in your next 'ukulele. Most beaters nowadays are better then they were when I started, so go cheap. Just my 2 cents.

In my experience, the better an instrument sounds, the more you'll end up playing it. Just my two cents.

I have only had my Uke for a month. I had been wanting to learn for a few years (maybe more) never could justify it because, the kids need this or that, lessons, fees, clothes etc...Finally I bought one! I paid $70 but for it. Like I said, I have only been playing for a month. However, I have changed the strings (it sounds better, and I am sure it would sound even better if I knew how to play) However, two weeks in, I realized that I HAD TO HAVE, a better nice uke.... I saw it and I am going to have it.. ummm.. holidays are coming.
I do not regret my decision, I will have a better ukulele soon enough, this one is adequate for me, and beyond because I am only finger picking songs and learning chords (uncle rods boot camp)
I love it... I have played virtually everyday since bringing it home and longed to play the few I was away from home or unable... dealing with a bit of finger numbness so I am trying to take it easy.. Either way just get a uke and start playing!

I might not suggest you get a "beater" but a good, mid level instrument, that is set up well. A Mainland, Kala, or Ohana, and not the cheapest in their range but something nice. Get one that has been set up well and you will always be able to enjoy that instrument. When you want to move up, you will have your first uke as something you can feel free to teach others with.

I think if you get a cheap uke, you will get frustrated quickly and it won't inspire you. When I play my high end ukes they just make my heart sing as they are beautiful and sound great. Then again, if you have been waiting around for months, stuck in indecision, you have lost months of great playing time.....get a uke and the journey begins!

I think it would be a good idea to search for a lower priced ukulele, but at the same time have it sound pretty decent. Kala offers some low price ukuleles and they sound pretty decent for the how much you pay for them. I first learned how to play on a Mahalo U-30, but bought a Kala KA-S for about 80 USD, and I'm enjoying it. In a nut shell, go for a beater with pretty good reviews. Hope this helps!

Do you already play a fretted string instrument? If the answer is no then get a cheap and cheerful. If you enjoy it and when you get better give it to another "learner" and buy a better one. Simples. It aint that big an issue.

I laugh because I too torture myself as to should I do this or should I do that. Seems you are getting 50% for this and 50% for that. Get off the fence and go for it. Those entry level Lani.... can't spell are really great! Just do it. You are going to want to buy another one anyway.

I laugh because I too torture myself as to should I do this or should I do that. Seems you are getting 50% for this and 50% for that. Get off the fence and go for it. Those entry level Lani.... can't spell are really great! Just do it. You are going to want to buy another one anyway.

Couldn't agree more. Most of the kids in our school uke orchestra play budget dinky doos. I've lowered the action on most and with a decent set of strings they are more than adequate.

I definetly agree with Ahnko Honu and Roxhum, I bought a Makai solid spruce top tenor from MGM a while back and it's the best $129 I ever spent. I also have a Lanikai LU-21C and a Makala (Kala) MK-T, and am happy with all of them. I don't think you can go wrong with Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, or Makai they are all well made nice playing ukes.

Thank you so much for all of these replies!

I see the point about buying a mid-level solid top, but personally, since I can spend around $300 right now, I would rather do that than not spend it and not know when I'll have enough money put aside to upgrade. If I don't spend it, the wife will want me to use the remaining money for something else even though she knows I put this money aside just for a uke.

So let's narrow it down a little more: should I spend around $150 on a mid-level, or spend around $300 on something nicer?

So let's narrow it down a little more: should I spend around $150 on a mid-level, or spend around $300 on something nicer?

Okay -- Here's what I did and I recommend it to anyone here who is "on the fence": Call MGM and tell him what you are looking for. Wood, sound, size, blah, blah, blah... Tell him your price range and ask for his opinion. he will NOT steer you wrong.

Like I said -- I did this and he sold me THE perfect ukulele for me. And I love it. Just a suggestion.

It doesn't matter, as you will need both, sooner or later. If you start with a cheap one, you will upgrade after some time; if you start with something fancy, you will need a beater to use at the beach, by the campfire etc. So don't think so much, go buy an uke :)

I think the point is. Every minute you don't have a uke, you are torturing yourself and not "playing".

YOu have conflicting data here. I say, go to a good store, ask them if somebody plays uke in their store, spend at least 30 minutes trying 2 or 3 you can afford and then set a time to walk out the store with a uke.

If you don't know how to tune or set your action, ask the person. Make sure you have a tuner. It will be your daily friend.

Tonight. get started "playing"

It pretty much doesn't matter what uke you get. It only matters that you get a uke, period.

Your agonizing over this decision is only delaying the day on which you hold your new uke in your hands. It's not worth it! Just pick one, throw a dart, call MGM, whatever.

As long as you get something better than an airport giftshop uke, you honestly can not go wrong.

But don't take my word for it. Consult this scientific chart:

Code:
		You get               You just chug           You hate the
		really good,          along at a nice,        uke and you
		really fast           steady pace             suck at it
           _______________________________________________________________________
           |                        |                      |                     |
You buy a  |  Give it away to       | This will last for   | Well, you're not    |
"beater"   |  a friend and spread   | a while, and later   | out much money.     |
ukulele    |  the ukulele love!     | it will become your  | Why not give it     |
           |                        | backup/beach/car uke | to a friend?        |
           |----------------------------------------------------------------------
You get a  |  This will be your     | This could be your   | Sell it and get     |
mid-level  |  backup/beach/car uke, | main uke for a good, | some of your money  |
ukulele    |  which you will        | long time. Yay!      | back. Or give it    |
           |  definitely need       |                      | to a friend. Yay!   |
           |----------------------------------------------------------------------
You shell  |                        |                      |                     |
out the    |                        |                      | Sell it and get     |
big bucks  |                        |                      | a hefty chunk of    |
for an     |      Woo-hoo!          |     Woo-hoo!         | your money back.    |
awesome    |                        |                      | Woo-hoo!            |
ukulele!   |                        |                      |                     |
           -----------------------------------------------------------------------

JJ

Top Bottom