Why get upset?

Valerie

Reaction score
Why is it that some uke players seem a bit peeved when people say ukes are small guitars?

It is part of the guitar family, and weren't the original ukes a variation on portuguese guitars?

I understand that ukes are a different instrument from guitars. I think 97% of people understand that- even when they say that a uke is a small guitar.

So why all the pain and missery when people say so?

Hmmmmm.......maybe it's because a lot of people see the ukulele as an inferior instrument to the guitar. When I tell people I play the uke they instantly think of it as fun and non serious instrument. They're reminded of Tiny Tim, and Kermit the frog :).

You should see how mad guitar players get when you call their guitar a "big ukulele."

You should see how mad guitar players get when you call their guitar a "big ukulele."

Dude, as a non-guitar-player-- and I think that places me in the minority around here-- I have to say, since I started playing ukulele, whenever I see people playing acoustic guitars, on tv or in bars or whatever, I kind of snicker at how GIGUNDOUS their instruments are. I'm like, "his ukulele is HUUUUUGE!"

Dude, as a non-guitar-player-- and I think that places me in the minority around here-- I have to say, since I started playing ukulele, whenever I see people playing acoustic guitars, on tv or in bars or whatever, I kind of snicker at how GIGUNDOUS their instruments are. I'm like, "his ukulele is HUUUUUGE!"

It's amazing, after focusing on the Uke for the last 6 mos., when I pick up my SG, I can't believe how giant it is.
Do bass players get mad that their instrument is just another kind of guitar?
I say embrace it. Just as I embraced fully my role as an American Uke player and learned a kicking version of "Tiptoe". Now when people ask, I just say "Dig this" and blow them away.

Why is it that some uke players seem a bit peeved when people say ukes are small guitars?
Instruments are very personal extensions of ourselves and we are loyal to them. The uke isn't anything except a uke and to say they are simply smaller versions of another instrument somehow diminishes them.

It's amazing, after focusing on the Uke for the last 6 mos., when I pick up my SG, I can't believe how giant it is.
I say embrace it. Just as I embraced fully my role as an American Uke player and learned a kicking version of "Tiptoe". Now when people ask, I just say "Dig this" and blow them away.

Hell, after focusing on the uke for the last 2 weeks, the guitar looks huge to me now. I'll never go back to playing guitar, unless I grow to be 25 feet tall.

Snakeoiler, when you say " kicking version" of Tiptoe do you mean like a Ramones sort of Tiptoe? Or more of a Burt Bacharach jazzy thing? I'm likin' this!:rock:

It is part of the guitar family, and weren't the original ukes a variation on portuguese guitars?

I understand that ukes are a different instrument from guitars. I think 97% of people understand that- even when they say that a uke is a small guitar.

So why all the pain and missery when people say so?

i've noticed that a lot of ukulele players don't like it when its referred to as a small guitar.. I dont get to annoyed but sometimes because its not a guitar, regardless of "guitar famz"...

Its the same as white people in Australia saying we are English or from England... yeah i guess you are, but you are called Australian because your family has lived here for 1000 years... My point being that it is what it is and ukulele is easier to say than a small guitar.

My example was just an example, please don't point it out and abuse me about it hahaha Im not to bright! -.-

I know! When I finally took my old broke acoustic guitar off the wall, it just seemed ridiculously big. Like what's the point? It's not comfortable to play, the shape isn't sexy... why would anyone want one? :rolleyes:

What about us white people who pronounce ukulele wrongly? ;)

Last edited:
i vote from now on, every member who does a uke vid, at the end of the vid says "im part of ukulele underground and it is pronounced ookoolaylay"

Really? who is getting peeved? people need to lighten up I think. ;)

When I hear 'small guitar' I just realize that they never have been exposed to the ukulele yet and I take that opportunity to introduce it to them. Obviously thing they do is command you to play a song for them and I just play whatever comes to mind. They usually love it and are VEERY interested in the ukulele after finding out it was more than just a 'small guitar'. :music:

IMO I really doubt bass players get the kind of comments that uke players get. I don't even know what someone might say to them.

Also I think the guitar is one of the most well know instruments, probably almost every one has had some sort of experience with a guitar, wether it is playing, hearing, or watching. So people try and relate things to what they know.

Hmmmmm.......maybe it's because a lot of people see the ukulele as an inferior instrument to the guitar. When I tell people I play the uke they instantly think of it as fun and non serious instrument. They're reminded of Tiny Tim, and Kermit the frog :).

Northern Uke said:
Snakeoiler, when you say " kicking version" of Tiptoe do you mean like a Ramones sort of Tiptoe? Or more of a Burt Bacharach jazzy thing?

Until a couple of years ago I fell into the camp that wasn’t a huge fan of the impression Tiny Tim left on most of the listening public and always swore that I’d never, ever, play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. This all changed when, on another ukulele forum, it was suggested that everyone do a version of TTTT and post them so we could all see the different approaches to the song. After hearing some of the versions folks put together (Such as this one by Yalego http://yalego.jexiste.fr/YalegoTipToe.mp3) it became very clear that the actual melody and chord voicings to the song were really great. I don’t sing much but decided to participate in the project and recorded this version. Mine is definitely more Burt Bacharach(ish) rather than a "kicking version".

My Version

It was pretty cool to hear all the different versions which did include some rocked up and punk versions if memory serves me correctly.

Top Bottom