PDA

View Full Version : Why get upset?

Valerie
06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Why is it that some uke players seem a bit peeved when people say ukes are small guitars?

It is part of the guitar family, and weren't the original ukes a variation on portuguese guitars?

I understand that ukes are a different instrument from guitars. I think 97% of people understand that- even when they say that a uke is a small guitar.

So why all the pain and missery when people say so?

Ukesista
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Hmmmmm.......maybe it's because a lot of people see the ukulele as an inferior instrument to the guitar. When I tell people I play the uke they instantly think of it as fun and non serious instrument. They're reminded of Tiny Tim, and Kermit the frog :).

russ_buss
06-17-2008, 02:33 PM
i would be proud to be a member of Small Guitar Underground.:music:

laietildaend
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
i would be proud to be a member of Small Guitar Underground.:music:
lolz me 2:music::music::music:

raindog
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
You should see how mad guitar players get when you call their guitar a "big ukulele."

tad
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM
You should see how mad guitar players get when you call their guitar a "big ukulele."

Dude, as a non-guitar-player-- and I think that places me in the minority around here-- I have to say, since I started playing ukulele, whenever I see people playing acoustic guitars, on tv or in bars or whatever, I kind of snicker at how GIGUNDOUS their instruments are. I'm like, "his ukulele is HUUUUUGE!"

SnakeOiler
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Dude, as a non-guitar-player-- and I think that places me in the minority around here-- I have to say, since I started playing ukulele, whenever I see people playing acoustic guitars, on tv or in bars or whatever, I kind of snicker at how GIGUNDOUS their instruments are. I'm like, "his ukulele is HUUUUUGE!"

It's amazing, after focusing on the Uke for the last 6 mos., when I pick up my SG, I can't believe how giant it is.
Do bass players get mad that their instrument is just another kind of guitar?
I say embrace it. Just as I embraced fully my role as an American Uke player and learned a kicking version of "Tiptoe". Now when people ask, I just say "Dig this" and blow them away.

brokenwing
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Why is it that some uke players seem a bit peeved when people say ukes are small guitars?
Instruments are very personal extensions of ourselves and we are loyal to them. The uke isn't anything except a uke and to say they are simply smaller versions of another instrument somehow diminishes them.

raindog
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
It's amazing, after focusing on the Uke for the last 6 mos., when I pick up my SG, I can't believe how giant it is.
I say embrace it. Just as I embraced fully my role as an American Uke player and learned a kicking version of "Tiptoe". Now when people ask, I just say "Dig this" and blow them away.

Hell, after focusing on the uke for the last 2 weeks, the guitar looks huge to me now. I'll never go back to playing guitar, unless I grow to be 25 feet tall.

northern uke
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Snakeoiler, when you say " kicking version" of Tiptoe do you mean like a Ramones sort of Tiptoe? Or more of a Burt Bacharach jazzy thing? I'm likin' this!:rock:

SnakeOiler
06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Snakeoiler, when you say " kicking version" of Tiptoe do you mean like a Ramones sort of Tiptoe? Or more of a Burt Bacharach jazzy thing? I'm likin' this!:rock:

Somewhere between the two. Definitely upbeat and funky. Stay tuned here for more details.

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-17-2008, 08:37 PM

It is part of the guitar family, and weren't the original ukes a variation on portuguese guitars?

I understand that ukes are a different instrument from guitars. I think 97% of people understand that- even when they say that a uke is a small guitar.

So why all the pain and missery when people say so?

i've noticed that a lot of ukulele players don't like it when its referred to as a small guitar.. I dont get to annoyed but sometimes because its not a guitar, regardless of "guitar famz"...

Its the same as white people in Australia saying we are English or from England... yeah i guess you are, but you are called Australian because your family has lived here for 1000 years... My point being that it is what it is and ukulele is easier to say than a small guitar.

My example was just an example, please don't point it out and abuse me about it hahaha Im not to bright! -.-

Plainsong
06-17-2008, 11:20 PM

I know! When I finally took my old broke acoustic guitar off the wall, it just seemed ridiculously big. Like what's the point? It's not comfortable to play, the shape isn't sexy... why would anyone want one? :rolleyes:

What about us white people who pronounce ukulele wrongly? ;)

Kaneohe til the end
06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
i vote from now on, every member who does a uke vid, at the end of the vid says "im part of ukulele underground and it is pronounced ookoolaylay"

davoomac
06-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Really? who is getting peeved? people need to lighten up I think. ;)

When I hear 'small guitar' I just realize that they never have been exposed to the ukulele yet and I take that opportunity to introduce it to them. Obviously thing they do is command you to play a song for them and I just play whatever comes to mind. They usually love it and are VEERY interested in the ukulele after finding out it was more than just a 'small guitar'. :music:

dnewton2
06-18-2008, 01:21 AM

IMO I really doubt bass players get the kind of comments that uke players get. I don't even know what someone might say to them.

Also I think the guitar is one of the most well know instruments, probably almost every one has had some sort of experience with a guitar, wether it is playing, hearing, or watching. So people try and relate things to what they know.

Howlin Hobbit
06-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Heck, that's the secondary reason I love my sopranino. Now when someone says, "That sure is a little guitar" I can say, "Oh yeah? I'll show you little!"

brokenwing
06-18-2008, 02:21 AM
Heck, that's the secondary reason I love my sopranino.
So the honeymoon's still on with the Sopranino, HH? That's good to hear.

Dominator
06-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Hmmmmm.......maybe it's because a lot of people see the ukulele as an inferior instrument to the guitar. When I tell people I play the uke they instantly think of it as fun and non serious instrument. They're reminded of Tiny Tim, and Kermit the frog :).

Snakeoiler, when you say " kicking version" of Tiptoe do you mean like a Ramones sort of Tiptoe? Or more of a Burt Bacharach jazzy thing?

Until a couple of years ago I fell into the camp that wasnít a huge fan of the impression Tiny Tim left on most of the listening public and always swore that Iíd never, ever, play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. This all changed when, on another ukulele forum, it was suggested that everyone do a version of TTTT and post them so we could all see the different approaches to the song. After hearing some of the versions folks put together (Such as this one by Yalego http://yalego.jexiste.fr/YalegoTipToe.mp3) it became very clear that the actual melody and chord voicings to the song were really great. I donít sing much but decided to participate in the project and recorded this version. Mine is definitely more Burt Bacharach(ish) rather than a "kicking version".

My Version (http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/tiptoe_dp.mp3)

It was pretty cool to hear all the different versions which did include some rocked up and punk versions if memory serves me correctly.

deach
06-18-2008, 06:09 AM

It was pretty cool to hear all the different versions which did include some rocked up and punk versions if memory serves me correctly.

Is that you singing??!?! WOW! That's awesome!

Dominator
06-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Is that you singing??!?! WOW! That's awesome!

Thanks Deach. Yep, that's me. My biggest problem vocally is that I have a very, very limited range.

SailQwest
06-18-2008, 07:33 AM

Great version of Tiptoe! Your playing is wonderful and your voice is really rich!

sukie
06-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Dominator -- you should sing more often. Nice!

russ_buss
06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Dominator -- you should sing more often. Nice!

i concur. that was a very pleasant performance Dom!

brokenwing
06-18-2008, 08:27 AM
really enjoyed that, Dom. Now I have to learn it. :)

Also the version by Yalego just oozed cool. Some nice jazz inflection in there.

SnakeOiler
06-18-2008, 08:42 AM
really enjoyed that, Dom. Now I have to learn it. :)

There's a couple of good charts for it on the web in different keys. I used the one at Ukulele Booaloo and tweaked it a bit.

On topic, I went in to play for my son's 5th grade class today, and of course the first question was "Is that a guitar?".

remy
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
As a beginner, it is really frustrating to walk through the music store and see hoards of books for guitar, and all the guitarists there getting advice from the staff about instruments and such. Although some guitar stuff is transferable to the ukulele, a lot isn't... and taking lessons is also not an option for a lot of ukulele beginners. So IMHO it is a slightly harder instrument to learn, just insofar as information and uke materials are harder to come by. Maybe that is why people don't like it being called a little guitar. It kind of discounts the unique experience and the unique obstacles to learning the ukulele that we go through.

SnakeOiler
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Here ya' go.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNZd7eg2g8

Woodstocksp3
06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Until a couple of years ago I fell into the camp that wasnít a huge fan of the impression Tiny Tim left on most of the listening public and always swore that Iíd never, ever, play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. This all changed when, on another ukulele forum, it was suggested that everyone do a version of TTTT and post them so we could all see the different approaches to the song. After hearing some of the versions folks put together (Such as this one by Yalego http://yalego.jexiste.fr/YalegoTipToe.mp3) it became very clear that the actual melody and chord voicings to the song were really great. I donít sing much but decided to participate in the project and recorded this version. Mine is definitely more Burt Bacharach(ish) rather than a "kicking version".

Your version is awesome and your voice is great! You should definitely sing more often :rock:

nikolo727
06-18-2008, 03:24 PM

I have to agree with ukesista

But I expecially agree with broken wing. i loved how he worded it.

I just hate it when people look at me playing my ukulele and just think wow that is just a stupid kid strumming away on this little piece of wood.

they think its just a toy, when in fact its NOT!

i just hate that.

lol

nikolo727
06-18-2008, 03:26 PM
By the way Dom, you have a very nice voice!

SnakeOiler
06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I have to agree with ukesista
I just hate it when people look at me playing my ukulele and just think wow that is just a stupid kid strumming away on this little piece of wood.

they think its just a toy, when in fact its NOT!

lol

They only think that until they see me play. Play it like a real instrument and folks will respect that.

Poi Dog
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
OMG Dom - that was EXCELLENT! I've now got a new appreciation for that song... all because of you!

Tiny Tim definitely gave me a bitter taste in my mouth regarding his performance of T5! Growing up in Hawaii and hearing ukulele all the time - I had grown (not quite a hatred) but a dislike of Tiny Tim's song and the "comical" element he and his ilk had brought to an instrument so closely associated with the culture that I had been a part of most of my life.

I don't care about anyone thinking of the ukulele as a "little guitar" - since to me that just shows their ignorance or lack of music appreciation. But when the ukulele itself is cast in shadow because of a famous "comedian" or disturbing performance that tarnishes its image as well as uke players.. well, I just can't stand that.

That's just my $0.02. Take it with a grain of salt. :D

Valerie
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Hmm... That makes a lot of sense- So the commic association is what gets some people? Kind of like how I can't help but smile every time I see this guy on campus riding his unicycle?

Unicyclists aside- isn't that still kind of the magic of the uke? People look at it like a unicycle- as some exotic toy/ trick- and then when you make music on it that is awesome it just shocks people half to death- as can be seen in alot of the comments on uke videos on youtube (like I would be, say, if a unicyclist could actually cycle faster than I can walk- seriously- people are always passing that guy.)

As far as calling ukes a toy-- One time I was playing outside and someone asked where I got that neat toy guitar. It didn't bother me at all to tell them where I got it- "Ebay, just type in ukulele." Another time I was at work and a coworker was amazed- "You can actually play that thing?" Another coworker jumped in before I could answer, "Yup, Val's the real deal- she can play anything."

Both instances made me laugh. And I wasn't upset that the implication in both instances was that I was playing around with a toy. But maybe that's because for me, instruments are toys- just like my telescope is a fun toy. It's something I play with for fun.

I don't know... Just when I see people getting upset about ukes being blahed about- it just comes across as a bit of a chip on the shoulder. And- maybe I'm just not serious enough- but I always wondered- why get so upset?

Ukesista
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I have to add that I'm not at all offended about people thinking the uke is a non serious instrument. I just offered what I thought might be an understanding of why people do.

deach
06-19-2008, 01:30 AM
When I hear people say it's a toy or a mini-guitar, it's like saying 'oh, you have massive X-Box skills'. They don't realize how many hours goes into playing a ukulele well.

Disclaimer: I'm not offended when people call it a mini-guitar or a toy and I have respect for people with mad X-Box skills.

14twelve
06-19-2008, 03:03 AM
I donít sing much but decided to participate in the project and recorded this version. Mine is definitely more Burt Bacharach(ish) rather than a "kicking version".

Dominator, that's fantastic!! And I never thought I'd ever say that about that song :)
You've got a great voice - you should sing more! And your version actually made me like the song.

14twelve
06-19-2008, 03:16 AM

I think a lot of people grew up having a ukulele as a "toy" when they were kids, and have never heard it played well, so still associate it with being a toy. I had one as a child, but was just given the ukulele with no instructions on how to play it or how to tune it (way before the internet was around), so it always sounded pretty crappy and I gave up really quickly - don't think I even learnt to play a song.

Didn't even think of the ukulele again until I heard Jake in March this year. Now when I tell anyone that I'm learning the ukulele, they usually laugh, but then I'll show them one of Jake's or Aldrine's videos, and it blows them away. It's kind of fun to see their faces as they watch it :)

tad
06-19-2008, 07:13 AM
I have no problem with calling ukuleles toys-- I don't really understand the concept of a "serious" instrument.

I mean-- really-- what's a serious instrument? One that's absolutely no fun? One that you play for utilitarian reasons? A violin that, if you put it down, explodes and decapitates you? (You know, like "Speed 3: Violin of Death")

What's the point of making music if you've gotta be so gorram serious about it?

seeso
06-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Ooh, the first Firefly reference.

seeso
06-19-2008, 07:29 AM
You've posted that before, haven't you Dom? I like it so much. You really need to sing more. I'd love to hear you sing some Sinatra.

h-drix
06-19-2008, 08:01 AM
to me its more of a respect thing, how would yoyo ma feel if a person came up to him and his cello and was like "i didnt know people could play that toy so well". i think he would be pressed annoyed. its all about respect and someone coming up to me to and calling a 200$ instrament a toy just ruffles my feathers.

Dominator
06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
You've posted that before, haven't you Dom? I like it so much. You really need to sing more. I'd love to hear you sing some Sinatra.

Hmm, not sure. I don't think I posted it here on UU before.

seeso
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM

Must be my deja vu kicking in again.

Anyway, I myself call my ukuleles "toys." Just like I call all my gear. "Got a new toy today!"

What bothers me is the tone that the word "toy" is delivered in. If used derisively, then yes, I'll take offense.

Boozelele
06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I had my uke at work the other day and was about to pull it out of the gig-bag. A co-worker asked me what it was and I said "an ukulele", he immediately broke into his best Tiny Tim impression and walked away laughing. I have to admit, I was more than a tad annoyed.

tad
06-19-2008, 09:35 AM

You did. I remember. In fact, I'm pretty sure I downloaded it and it's on my itunes.

tad
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM
to me its more of a respect thing, how would yoyo ma feel if a person came up to him and his cello and was like "i didnt know people could play that toy so well". i think he would be pressed annoyed. its all about respect and someone coming up to me to and calling a 200$ instrament a toy just ruffles my feathers.

I don't know. I just don't mind the word, I guess.

Would you be bothered if you bought a $400 PS3 and someone called it a toy? 'Cause it is, as far as I'm concerned.

Toys are unnecessary things that give pleasure via interactive use.

In other words, it's something that you don't need, but you enjoy, because you play with it.

To me, any instrument falls in that category.

seeso
06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Instruments are not unnecessary if you depend on them for your livelihood.

I don't totally disagree with you, I'm just saying.

tad
06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Instruments are not unnecessary if you depend on them for your livelihood.

I don't totally disagree with you, I'm just saying.

I dunno. I guess that's true if it's the only thing you CAN do...

I mean, I depend on my computer for my livelihood, but it's still a fun toy. I know I could be out there digging ditches of flipping burgers.

You don't NEED a specific job, you just need to have *A* job. If you're lucky, you'll get a job where you get to play with toys, whether they be computers, ukuleles, particle accelerators, what have you...

laietildaend
06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't know. I just don't mind the word, I guess.

Would you be bothered if you bought a $400 PS3 and someone called it a toy? 'Cause it is, as far as I'm concerned.

In other words, it's something that you don't need, but you enjoy, because you play with it.

To me, any instrument falls in that category.

i agree
my wii is totallee a toy
and so is my colored ukes:o:o:o:o

laietildaend
06-19-2008, 09:55 AM
id like to get a moosical job like mebee uh radio station dj guy

h-drix
06-19-2008, 10:10 AM

TBQH after thinking about it, i really just hate the word toy. It has so many negative vibes that it just bothers me.

LonnaB
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
A lot of the people I know play the guitar and trying to get ANY of them to take the ukulele seriously, as in- 'yeah, let me play that', has proven impossible.

I went to an Uncle Earl concert a few months ago and one of the girls pulled out a nice vintage banjolele for one of the songs. Another band member teased her while looking out into the crowd and saying, "and I know there's at least one ukulele freak in the audience who will come up to me after the show and let me hear it."

After the show, I approached the ukulele player and asked her about her ukulele and she let me play it. I avoided the guitar player.

Boozelele
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
If it's only a toy, does that mean that playing "UKE HERO" on your PS2 (excuse me for my video game ignorance-i know nothing about them) is just as constructive as actually learning to play the uke? I have been thinking about this and I am honestly curious what others think.

tad
06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
TBQH after thinking about it, i really just hate the word toy. It has so many negative vibes that it just bothers me.

See, I think "toy" has a lot of positive associations.

Think back to when you were a kid on your birthday or Christmas or whatever. Think about the presents you got. The good ones were toys. The lame ones were practical things like socks.

To me, anything that's not a toy is socks. Ukuleles aren't socks.

If it's only a toy, does that mean that playing "UKE HERO" on your PS2 (excuse me for my video game ignorance-i know nothing about them) is just as constructive as actually learning to play the uke? I have been thinking about this and I am honestly curious what others think.

Personally I hate Guitar Hero-- mostly 'cause I'm no good at it. My roommates love it. They got it around the same time I got my first uke. By the time they were getting decent scores on Medium, I was able to play four or five songs passably on my ukulele.

Does it have the same "worth"? Is it more "constructive"? That depends on how you look at it.

If one is more fun for you than the other, that one has more worth, it's more constructive, because it brings you the most happiness, which-- really, in my mind-- is the main point of either.

Personally, though, I think the uke is a far superior toy.

Guitar Hero is an inherently limited platform. You can only play the songs that they get license rights to, you have to purchase additional songs, you can only play it when you're around a compatible game system with a disc and a controller.

The ukulele is much more versatile: it's capable of playing an almost unlimited number of songs, it's highly portable, doesn't need electricity. The platform has existed for over 120 years, and some of the earliest models still play well.

-------------------

I don't know, though. I guess, in the end, it just comes down to your personality. Some people want things to be SERIOUS BUSINESS. Others don't.

I'm spending around ten years going into debt and making a pittance just in the hopes of getting a job that I think will be fun. I think fun is very important. I'd rather have fun than be rich, rather have fun than be "important."

To me, play is something I value, and "toy" sounds like something wonderful.

But that's just me.

LonnaB
06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
The ukulele is much more versatile: it's capable of playing an almost unlimited number of songs, it's highly portable, doesn't need electricity. The platform has existed for over 120 years, and some of the earliest models still play well.

Nice post, Tad. Play is essential and unfortunately it isn't given the importance it deserves in preschool anymore, much less in the adult world.

When we lost electricity a couple of weeks ago due to strong storms, my other family members were concerned about what they would do to entertain themselves. I smiled and walked off with my uke.

We can say that our ukuleles are environmentally friendly.:D

h-drix
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
to tad: must spread rep

To booze: lets look at the payment that comes out of both uke and GH.

monies: If i practice hard at both and become master i can make a decent living, either off of playing shows and selling cds(uke) or i can become a master and winning tournament(GH). both of which can pay anywhere from $50 to thousands.

or we can look at it as happiness: with GH at one point or another someone will master every song and get bored. with a uke its very hard to get bored. one could get to a creative block and not know where to turn, but thats when forums and the internets come in to play.

deach
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM

You can draw similarities between the two. I don't think one is more important or more constructive as the other. It's like the band geeks arguing with the computer geeks. At the end, everyone is still a geek.

ant on son
06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
So many think it's just a toy. But in a way, I like correcting them. Usually all I have to do is to say that the Beatles loved it. (You may insert an emoticon here).
It's a beautiful instrument.

I also play bass and I've often heard people talking about it as a guitar ("why does your guitar only have 4 strings?").

By the way, I really liked your version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips, Dominator (and your site is excellent).

Boozelele
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
At the end, everyone is still a geek.

touche', deach, touche'.

I played guitar-hero once at a friends house. And after about an hour I thought to myself "That was fun, but what a HUGE waste of time. That's an hour that I'll never get back". I guess now that I'm really old i've started to appreciate each remaining hour more and more.

deach
06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
touche', deach, touche'.

I played guitar-hero once at a friends house. And after about an hour I thought to myself "That was fun, but what a HUGE waste of time. That's an hour that I'll never get back". I guess now that I'm really old i've started to appreciate each remaining hour more and more.

One of my brothers is the exact opposite. He tried to play the bass for an hour or so. He seemed to be enjoying it but when he stopped, he said he could have been playing one of his games. For him, gaming is his relaxation. He takes it as seriously as many amateur musicians take their music. He gets the pleasures and relaxation and experiences frustration and satisfaction, just like musicians do. He doesn't do it for a living and he doesn't do it for anyone else, and neither do most of us.

nikolo727
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
if a unicyclist could actually cycle faster than I can walk- seriously- people are always passing that guy.)

I dunno ive seen people on youtube book it on unicycles lol.

LonnaB
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
One of my brothers is the exact opposite. He tried to play the bass for an hour or so. He seemed to be enjoying it but when he stopped, he said he could have been playing one of his games. For him, gaming is his relaxation. He takes it as seriously as many amateur musicians take their music. He gets the pleasures and relaxation and experiences frustration and satisfaction, just like musicians do. He doesn't do it for a living and he doesn't do it for anyone else, and neither do most of us.

Right on, deach. Sometimes we play no particular way but our own.

Howlin Hobbit
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
If ukes (and other instruments) aren't toys, why do we call it "playing music?"

ricdoug
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Maybe we should call them little Vihuela's and call guitars wannabe Vihuelas. Ric

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vihuela

deach
06-20-2008, 12:26 AM
If ukes (and other instruments) aren't toys, why do we call it "playing music?"

Maybe it's a sport. ;)

davoomac
06-20-2008, 01:42 AM

omg a uke-hero game sounds fantastic.:nana:

SnakeOiler
06-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Next time, tell them to go here...

What is it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqIL-tirkvs&feature=related)

NotoriousMOK
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
omg a uke-hero game sounds fantastic.:nana:

would you have to play that on a PSP type platform?? ;)

Plainsong
06-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I was thinking more about this, and taking alto clarinet as an example - I'd dearly love to have one, that's why - I wouldn't get upset if someone said "Oh, that's a weird looking and sounding sax you have there" simply because, how would they know?

I'd also like to have a flugelhorn, and I've heard those called big trumpets. How many people here can name every wind instrument on sight alone? Not me.

I think what gets us isn't that they don't know what a uke is, it's that assumption of small=stupid. 4 strings sound lesser than 6. They don't know what it is, therefore, it is a toy. Now that is willful ignorance and that would ruffle any musician's feathers. Is a violin a toy? Why not? It's small and has four strings.

It's worse when it comes from family, who are well used to you playing various other things! And you love this little instrument, and they see it as lesser because... a tall long-haired dude sang falsetto with one.

So I don't think it's that they don't know what a uke is, it's all about attitude.

Ukesista
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I had a very interesting experience last weekend, when some friends came to visit. They picked up my uke and were strumming madly away. So they asked me to play for them. I asked them had they ever heard any complex pieces of music played on the uke, like classical music, like the way a classical guitar is played. They said...." oh sure we know that it can be played like that..."

So, I played the Europa intro for them, and they said " ...wow! I didn't know you could play like that on the ukulele and that it could sound like that..."

Then one of them said, I don't understand how only four strings can make that kind of sound?

Go figure :confused:

SnakeOiler
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
At this year's NY UkeFest, the dude form the StringBusters palyed the most amazing version of Beetoven's 5th. I was speechless.

h-drix
06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
It's worse when it comes from family, who are well used to you playing various other things! And you love this little instrument, and they see it as lesser because... a tall long-haired dude sang falsetto with one.

i play so many other instruments and i get a lot of crap because i like the uke the best.