New Uke Player Here

KJGJ

Reaction score
Hey guys I've been looking for a new hobby to start up in college and I seem to have my eyes set on learning the ukulele. I've got some musical experience with a few years of saxophone and a little bit of dabbling harmonica but hopefully I'll be able to follow along alright. My biggest thing now is picking my first uke. I've done a fair amount of research and so far have come up with either the LU-21 or LU-21C. I'm leaning towards the LU-21C but the $89 price tag is kind of scaring me. Any insight you guys could provide between the two, or even any other recommendations for a first uke, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, KJGJ, and welcome to UU! You'll find a wealth of knowledge here pertaining to all things uke-related. There have been many, many threads about picking a first uke. If you search "first uke" I'm sure you'll get a start.

Much of the decision will be based on your budget. Most folks here recommend buying the best uke you can afford. Most folks here also end up owning many ukes, due to the common malady known as UAS (ukulele aquisition syndrome). Good starter ukes can be had for as little as $30-$40, such as the Makala Dolphin. From there the sky's the limit.

Some of your decision will be based on size. The small, traditional uke is the soprano. Next up in size is the concert, followed by the tenor and then the baritone. As the size increases it approaches that of a guitar, and so does the sound. The baritone sounds much more guitar-like than a soprano. The soprano, concert and tenor share the same tuning (usually), but the tuning of the baritone is different.

A portion of your decision will be based on appearance. This is totally subjective, and only you know what you will like.

I opted to start with a lower mid-range priced uke in concert size. I bought a Kala KA-SC from Musicguymic on eBay. Mike has a stellar reputation here, and is highly recommended as a source for ukes in any price range.

Do some reading about first ukes and pick one you like. Let us know what you decide!

I recently bought a used LU21-C and initialy wasn't to impressed until I realized the old strings on it were worn out, I put a new set of Aguila's on it and now it's my favorite take anywhere uke. It's well made, nice looking and plays well. The recommendation to call or email Mike at musicguymic is an excellent one. I bought my first (a Makala MK-T) on his recommendation and it's still one of my favorite players.

MIM has some great beginner ukes. Give her a call and she can help you as well.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm putting some more research into it but I think I'm leaning towards the Kala KA-C from MGM now.

Aloha KJGJ,
Welcome to the UU and Our Humble Forums...and the Ukulele...I see Mailman, Kenilas and Skizic gave you some good advice..
The Lanikai is a good entry level ukulele and believe 89.00 is not too bad, but just right..as your first uke should be not too
expensive until you know for sure that you're going to stick with the program. Mine was a $25.00 Rogue I bought from Musician's
Friend..and it's one of the first I pick up today and still enjoy.. As for size, between the soprano or the concert....If you're into the
traditional sound and you have small hands....it's the one for you. The concert offers you a larger fretboard and louder but mellower
sound...It's boils down to personal perference...what you prefer...and ask what type strings are on yours...I think they come with either
Aquilla's or GHS...Just a last advice, get yourself a digital chromatic clip on tuner...it will be the smartest and best investment you'll
ever make...Not only it will make tuning and fast and accurate, it will save you the fustration before playing...Good Luck!! MM Stan...

Well, I ended up buying the Kala KA-C from MGM. Now I just have to wait for it to get here, damn you patience... Also, I'm thinking of setting up a blog or youtube channel chronicling my ukulele learning experience. At the very least it will give me some motivation to keep practicing.

I am playing a LU-21 right now as I browse the internet. I am a beginner too and it is great for me

Top Bottom