PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought anything from Antoniotsai?

jtafaro
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I have seen a number of nicely inlaid ukes on his ebay store and would like to kn0ow how good or bad these ukes are?

mailman
09-09-2010, 08:52 AM
The reviews on his stuff here on UU are mixed, at best. The general consensus is that they make pretty wall-hangers for a while....and then they fall apart.

Type "Antoniotsai" into the UU search function, and read them for yourself.

Personally, I'd pass....

jtafaro
09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I found a blog about him. I then deleted his junk from my watch list.

allanr
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I own one of his solid-body electrics, and know of others who do too. It is an awesome little instrument and sounds great through an amp. Also handy for "silent" practice late at night (unplugged of course). Every now and then he puts one on Ebay with no minimum and no reserve, I paid $10.40 for mine! Ok.. plus $80 to ship it, but still, a sweet deal.

On the other hand, the interweb is chalk-full of people with sad tales of woe from people (including dealers) who have watched their beautiful exotic wood ukuleles crack, delaminate, and/or the MOP inlay fall out.

LoMa
09-15-2010, 07:21 AM
I did buy one for my niece because she thought it was so beautiful. Well, it was rather a stinker of an instrument, but the inlay was very pretty (if you like that sort of thing - I'm more restrained in my tastes) which made the young girl happy and wanting to play it all the time. I replaced the tuners with some different ones, and reslotted the nut to accept other strings besides the super super thin fishing line strings (think of Worth Brown's with anorexia...), and replaced those unlively strings with Aquila nylguts which livened up the instrument considerably. I also had to adjust the action at both the nut and saddle because fretting a string would pull it out of intonation. Intonation, by the way, was only okay - not good bit truly terrible either - about on par wth a vintage Martin. It also sounded better with a low G. I believe this was the heaviest uke I have ever hefted and has the thickest finihs I've ever seen but at least it is sturdy, and no cracks or anything have developed over the years. So all in all, you get what you pay for and for what you desire...

It was and still is the perfect uke for my niece who loves princesses and such, so the beautiful flower inlays and vine of life on the fretboard are a dream come true. Nicely flamed maple back and sides too which also makes her happy. She is sure I envy her deeply because my ukes are very very very plain next to hers.

the52blues
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I have bought from two of the Vietnamese dealers on Ebay. My highest praise goes to Taisamlu instruments. His workmanship is intricate and beautiful. His choice of woods are all solid body and top such as koa, acacia, spruce and maple. He uses Aquila strings and I only needed a very minor intonation adjustment on 1 of the 3 tenor ukes I've bought from him. They feel and sound great and easily compare to Hawaiian uke in the $800-1000 range. I bought each one of mine in the auction from $71 to $85 plus $60 shipping. This included a very nice hard shell case with each one too. I am very satisfied with them.
Now Antoniosai.....I have read so much bad press about him and his "shoddy" ukes but couldn't resist winning a soprano with a gig bag for $10. However he charges $80 shipping. A lot more than Taisamlu (and I bought tenors from him in hard shell cases). When I received it I thought the inlay work looked very nice but when I tuned it up to play it - it was very dull sounding. The strings are black and seem to be just fishing line or something. I decided to sell it and advertised it. A guy met me and bought it for his girlfriend. I got an email from them about how she just can't put it down. So go figure....I have to say because of the bad press and the high shipping charge I will not likely buy another uke from him....but I have my eye on another one from Taisamlu....he's my hero LOL