Pono Tenor?

waynetl

Reaction score
I have a Lanikai LU21 soprano. I love playing it and I'm learning more each day. I was thinking since I now know I've falling in love with the ukulele it would be nice to purchase a quality tenor. One that won't need to be upgraded for some time. I hope it may be more comfortable to play as I am an adult male with average man sized hands. I have been looking at a Pono tenor at hawaii music supply. Would a mid ranged Pono be a good choice? I've considered others such as the slightly cheaper Lanikai LSM-T at guitar center. Any suggestions on these or other brands would be appreciated. I'm especially interested in the trust rod that the pono has. yes, no? Best tenor ukes $200-$500 for my second uke?

Welcome to UU! If you're considering HMS, you may also wanna check with MGM. Tell him what you're looking for and provide the necessary info (budget, size, etc). He'll offer a few recommendations based on your criteria. You might also wanna check this thread.

BTW, I know you're quite new to the site - but it's not necessary to post the same question in different forums. A lot of the members will jump in with advice on a 2nd instrument. I'm gonna delete the one posted in Buying Tips. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or one of the Mods.

Last edited:
Thanks, the thread was helpful but I'm still in question as to the importance of the trust rod on pono tenors and if they r common on other quality ukes.

Not all builders use truss rods. To my understanding, they are used for stability and keeping the neck straight and mainly used on instruments with steel strings. Whether or not they are needed depends on the builder's discretion. My ukes are made in Hawai'i and don't have em. I hope, some of the builders/luthiers can offer a better explanation.

Aloha Wayneti,
Welcome to the UU and our humble forums..and the ukulele....You're a pretty sharp cookie for a beginner...Yes an
entry level is best for your first uke to see if you're going to stick it out...however a second uke should be the best
you can comfortablely afford. In the long run it'll save you in all the upgrades in the future and you won't have alot
of cheaper ukes around the house you've come accustomed to and can't get rid of....besides it hard to sell them
cheap one or get much out of them...
As for your question, it's good insurance to get a truss rod but in my opinion it's not necessary unless your
putting high tension strings on your uke....even the bit "K' mostly don't have them...the problem it top heavy
and weight...and most uke don't have that much string tension....You see them mostly in custom jobs that
last lifetimes....it's just an added expense, like getting a sway bar on your car if it's a bug...where do you live?
makes a difference too, and if possible try them out before buying....for size and sound...Good Luck!! MM Stan...

Howzit mm stan
Thanks for the info. I do see your point as for the truss rod. Unfortunately I live in dare I say it NJ but my heart belongs to the sea. So I'm at least grateful to be close to the coast. Winters can be brutal and summers can be humid but not so much as to worry about warping or drying of the instrument itself. From what I understand now is that the truss rod may help when travelling to different climates. I wish! I so respect hawaiians and there love for nature. Well now that the vacationers are thru the beaches here become the tranquil place I know them to be. Albeit the water's a bit colder, the waves get alittle better, and you can actually smell the sea again instead of tanning lotions and stale beer. Anyway sorry to ramble, thanks for your reply. I'm just a Uke Kook I guess dropping in.

Top Bottom