PDA

View Full Version : Mele Pineapple Mohagany Concert

Gmoney
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Whoo Hoo! Just took delivery on a new Mele Pineapple! My first pineapple & Mele. This is just a quick post while I change the strings (it came w/a wound G tuned low). All the spares I have are a set of Fremonts, so that is what is going on. A few photos before the new strings go on.... I am definitely going to like this little beauty! Full review will follow...

Any good suggestions on strings for this one - especially those of you who have one? I'm probably going to try out the Fremonts for a few days & may order one of the "string assortments" to try several others.

Lexxy
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Can't wait for the full review :)

Ahnko Honu
09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I've had my concert Koa version for almost two years and very happy with it. I've had Aquilas on it for about a year now, and I'm happy with them but when I do change I'm going to try Worth medium clears, they sound great on a couple of my other 'ukuleles, and I already have a set (USAS 'Ukulele String Acquisition Syndrome). ;)

mm stan
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Aloha Gmoney,
Mele's sound awesome, I had a 4 string tenor....before....they're great sounding...and they're a great price too!!
MM Stan

Gmoney
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I've had my concert Koa version for almost two years and very happy with it.

I thought that you must have one of these or its Koa cousin. I've got Fremont "Black Line" Fourocarbon strings on it now & after stre-e-e-e-ching for a bit, they sound much better. I really didn't want to bother w/a wound G & low tuned to boot - it already sounds brighter!

I think that I am a real Aquila fan though. With these fluorocarbon strings (Fremont on this one & Orca's on my Kala Travel), my fingers seem to "stick" when I strum. They just seem to grab my finger rather than let it slide like the Aquila's seem to do.

But, hey, new uke... a night of playing & tuning, playing & tuning. But I always end the night w/my beloved KoAloha.

Ahnko Honu
09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Mine came with wound low g GHS strings which I wasn't really happy with and had a set of Aquilas on hand so switcharoo and have been happy with the sound ever since. Not in any rush to change them after a year, I'll wait until they need a change.

molokinirum
09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Beautiful!!!! I think that this might be my next one!!!!! How do you like the way it plays?

Gmoney
09-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Beautiful!!!! I think that this might be my next one!!!!! How do you like the way it plays?

It sounds great. I have a set of Fremont blackline's on it now rather than the GHS' & it certainly is better sounding now that the strings are getting "set". One thing that I can't quite get used to yet is that this Mele has a really narrow neck! Its slightly narrower than my Makala Dolphin - narrower than my Kala Concerts and decidedly narrower than my KoAloaha Soprano. Noticeable enough that my fingers occasionally cause the 1 & 4 strings off the side of the neck.

I like the shape, love the tone w/these Fremonts - its just a smaller neck - the general neck profile is thinner as well than my other instruments.

Its a keeper, for now anyway... though I still have my eye on either a Concert or Tenor KoAloha!