D 7th I don't understand

roxhum

Reaction score
IN JIm Belogg's book Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Tips N Tunes D 7th is holding done all four strings of the 2nd fret and the 1st string of the 3rd fret. However in the book Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps co-wrote by Jim Beloff D7th is either the 4,3,2 string of the second fret and the 1st string of the 3rd fret OR the 4th & 3rd string of the 2nd fret. Clearly the last variation is way easier but does not sound like the other two variations. How can this be and why in the world would anyone use the first two variations when the 3rd one is so much easier. This is just too confusing. It is like calling an apple and orange.

RoxHum Confused behind the redwood curtain of Northern CA

However in the book Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps co-wrote by Jim Beloff D7th is either the 4,3,2 string of the second fret and the 1st string of the 3rd fret OR the 4th & 3rd string of the 2nd fret.

Maybe that's just a typo? The usual "alternate" D7 is 4th and 2nd string on the 2nd fret (2020).

That version, incidentally, is sometimes called a Hawaiian D7. It actually leaves out one of the notes of the chord, compared to the 2223 version, but it turns out to sound close enough in many (most) cases.

JJ

If it is a typo it is a consistent typo because all of the variations are used consistently throughout the books. What get's me is the the two books give different information and are by the same author.

If it is a typo it is a consistent typo because all of the variations are used consistently throughout the books. What get's me is the the two books give different information and are by the same author.

It should of course be consistent throughout. But there is no spell checker for ukulele chords.

Lil' Rev once told me that the hardest thing for him to do when making a book is to play on the CD exactly like it is written on the page.

Hard to comment, I didn't see that book yet.....Sorry..
Maybe other members with the book may wish to comment.

why in the world would anyone use the first two variations when the 3rd one is so much easier.

Hi Roxhum

The "easiest" shape depends on the chord before and the chord after the D7, and also the "easiest" may not the best "voicing" in musical context. Yes, the context is the key word here, and you express yourself using different tools (ie., chord shapes/voicings).

I tend to prefer a barre chord to open chords since it enables me to move up or down easily.

Cheers
Chief

Hmmm... I have Fretboard Roadmaps right here in front of me (copyright 2006 edition), and it looks okay to me so far.

On page 6, for example, it gives two version of D7. The first is the Hawaiian version (2020) and the other is the barre chord version (2223).

JJ

You realize that the first 2 variations is the exact same shape right? It's just easier to play a D7 barring the 2nd fret rather than trying to use 4 fingers to hit that chord.

There is no way a D7 can be the 2nd fret of strings 3 and 4. That would make the notes A, D, E, A, which would make it a Dsus2 I think?

I'm with UkuleleJJ. That must be a typo. The editor may have made a mistake and corrected all instances of 2020 to 2200.

Maybe it's because I grew up in Hawaii, but I prefer 2020 at least 90% of the time. 2223 sounds funny to me. :)

D7 as 2200 is definitely a typo.

I sometimes like to use both versions (2223 and 2020) to spice things up a bit. In my latest youtube upload, you can see me do this in the instrumental break. If you're interested, go to the "Videos and Links" forum and look for "I'm just me - bringthesong.org contest". Last I looked it was still on page two.

Alright, thank you everybody. That is making sense to me and I can see how it could be typed incorrectly since they are so close.

Rox

Rox, try this for a sexy little D7 5 6 5 5 mmmmm. You can slide the shape up and down the neck for any seventh you want. Give it a go. If you would like some chord charts that I've compiled then send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you them. No probs. Oh and if you want them let me know if you're right or left handed.

I'm sure most of you know that it is the "7th" note (in this case "C") that gives the chord that "dominant V (five)" sound so where the 7th is in the chord will make it sound differently. In the 2223 chord the C is on top and stands out more if you want to emphasize it. In the 2020 the C is buried more on the 3rd string. It's still there but does not stand out as much. I tend to use this version more but if I need that 7th to stand out I will use the 2223 form. If you play melody/chord solos you need to be able to use both depending on the melody.

I'm sure most of you know that it is the "7th" note (in this case "C") that gives the chord that "dominant V (five)" sound so where the 7th is in the chord will make it sound differently. In the 2223 chord the C is on top and stands out more if you want to emphasize it. In the 2020 the C is buried more on the 3rd string. It's still there but does not stand out as much. I tend to use this version more but if I need that 7th to stand out I will use the 2223 form. If you play melody/chord solos you need to be able to use both depending on the melody.

That there explains alot.

Let me ask the question. Is it the last note that is played that stands out? If so, couldn't 2020 be fingerpicked arpegiated so the C on string C stands out or is it the "highest" note that always stands out vs. the last picked note?

That there explains alot.

Let me ask the question. Is it the last note that is played that stands out? If so, couldn't 2020 be fingerpicked arpegiated so the C on string C stands out or is it the "highest" note that always stands out vs. the last picked note?

The C on the 1st string is not necessarily the loudest but it is the highest in pitch and in the position where the melody usually is so it stands out. The C on the 3rd string is an octave lower in pitch and hides in the body of the chord more. If you arpegiate you are able to accent each note differently so I suppose you could accent it more but it would still be an octave lower.

Top Bottom