Has anyone bought from Elderly Instruments.

deepeepee

Reaction score
I have been looking for a decent soprano and found the Elderly Instruments site. They seem to have a reasonable selection of used Ukes. I like the Look of the lanikai LK-1s has anyone had any experience with this site.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/cats/180U.html

Elderly is a great shop. I always order stuff from them, and if I'm every up in Lansing, I go visit the store. They process and ship the orders fairly quickly. A lot of people on here have done business with Elderly. You can't go wrong with them.

I've ordered strings from them...no complaints! In fact, they called me the same day to confirm some details of the order. I certainly would recommend them.

~Michael

You'll do fine with just LK-1s. It's one of the ones that Kanile'a made for Lanikai. It'll be a very nice uke and at not a bad price for what it actually is.

I've only bought strings from Elderly like lots of folks (I'll buy a year's worth at a time) and they've been really good to deal with. I've also never seen anybody say anything bad about them either.

I have bought strings and books from them. A-1 service each time.

Back in '99, I bought my '77 Fender Jazz bass from them, and earlier this year I got my Martin Style 2 from them as well. When I ordered the Martin, they actually had 3 Martins that I was interested in. I spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with someone there, who was VERY helpful and patient while I narrowed it down to one uke. He played each of them for me over the phone, gave me his assessment of sound, condition and playability, and then actually recommended NOT THE MOST EXPENSIVE of the three (!). The shipping (both on the bass way back when and the uke this year) was flawless and really fast. I was totally satisfied.
Also, about 12 years ago, my neighbors up the street (who are excellent Bluegrass musicians) were in the market for a Martin acoustic, and were passing near East Lansing. So they stopped in, told the staff they were looking for a Martin, and were basically allowed free rein of the entire guitar room for as long as they needed. No one pressured them... they could play EVERYTHING (including D-28s from the '30s and '40s). They played all morning, went to lunch, came back and played some more, and walked out in the mid-afternoon with a brand new HD-28. They RAVED about the store, which is partly why I bought my Fender from Elderly the following year.
I've never heard a bad thing about them!

I have purchased from them for probably close to 20 years. I have never had any type of complaint with their products or service. In fact, they are always my backup resource. They stock a lot of merchandise at good prices. They also carry a decent used inventory. I highly recommend them.

Great people to do business with, excellent tracking and follow-through. Just the way businesses used to be (sigh)

I bought my Kanilea from them and they offered a free hardshell case without my asking, and free shipping. Later I bought a case for another uke since they took the time to check the fit for me (with one of their ukes). Since then I've been getting my strings there, as they have great sales from time to time. Not to mention the best selection. Before placing my latest order, I asked a question about an 80 cent single string and they actually responded - not many stores would have done that.

This thread made me go there and check out the website. 3 ukes in and they have a uke I wanted so I ordered it. I thought "WTF am I doing?" so after I buy it, I then go check on pricing. uh. I couldn't be happier with the price on it. We'll see what shape its in when it arrives but, thanks to this thread and Elderly, I got something I didn't think I'd get.

Anybody want to know what it is? ....

ok, I see the suspense is killing everybody.

I'lll tell you in my next post.

Hint: its not expensive. it was used too. and it is in a color of a Speedo. Now I've got you all thinking I bought a used lime green Speedo that has a ukulele embroidery patch on the front.

This thread made me go there and check out the website. 3 ukes in and they have a uke I wanted so I ordered it. I thought "WTF am I doing?" so after I buy it, I then go check on pricing. uh. I couldn't be happier with the price on it. We'll see what shape its in when it arrives but, thanks to this thread and Elderly, I got something I didn't think I'd get.

Anybody want to know what it is? ....

ok, I see the suspense is killing everybody.

I'lll tell you in my next post.

Hint: its not expensive. it was used too. and it is in a color of a Speedo. Now I've got you all thinking I bought a used lime green Speedo that has a ukulele embroidery patch on the front.

Okay, I'll (not the speedo)... what did you buy?

Dan Zane's DZ Flea. Dan Zane was the lead singer of the band called The Del Fuegos. I listened to one of their records over and over when I was in college. He now makes kid songs and commissioned some Fleas to sell.

Here's The Del Fuegos

Here's the promo on it.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1288.htm

I wonder if they'll still keep the promo up. Last time I checked it was "on hold"

Last edited:
If you're not in the USA, their shipping is very high. They quoted me $70 to ship a uke without a case to Canada, where MGM charged me $35 for a uke AND a case from Hawaii.

hi deepeepee

Yep, ditto to everyone else. They're great. I'm actually in Australia and have bought from them several times...hard to beat their range, knowledge and prices. Gave me discounts evrytime I bought from them. Only slight drawback as an overseas buyer is the very steep shipping costs...but hey, I keep going back for more. Highly recommended!!!

Elderly is great. The Tiki Flea my husband bought me for Christmas last year came from Elderly and somehow it was more playable than the ones I'd experienced at the local Sam Ash. So I think they do look over the instruments before they send them out.
I got my Makai mango from them last month because it was costing a scootch less than anyone else had it. Their free shipping starts at $89, which is good. Great source of strings and you get emails telling you when there's a string sale. Their t-shirts are interesting. They have cds that are divided into catagories of genre or instrument. Plenty of music books. Usually something interesting in the way of tuners. Their a great, and dangerous, resource. Viva Elderly!

Top Bottom