Is there such a chord as...

joeybug

Reaction score
D/F#?

It's in one of the songs I'm trying to master - Amazing Grace - and I don't know whether it's actually a chord or if it's just a "use either of these" suggestions. If it is a chord what's the fingering for it?

I reckon 11 9 10 0 should cover it. Or even 11 9 10 9

It's a regular D chord. The "/F#" part means that, if you can swing it, voice the chord so that an F# note (which is one of the three notes that make up a D major chord) is the lowest note.

Or, if you're playing with a bass player or piano player, have them play an F# in the bass rather than the normal D note they would otherwise play.

As spookefoote pointed out, it's possible to play a D that way on the uke. But it's not always practical, given the other chords you have to play. The uke doesn't have much low-end range, so you sometimes have to shift the chord up pretty high. It might sound "out of place" sometimes.

So... ukulele convention is usually to just ignore the "/F#" and play a normal D chord. :)

JJ

With log G tuning, you could do x655, where x means don't play that string, i.e., a 3 string chord. Or with high G, 7655 would work.

So... ukulele convention is usually to just ignore the "/F#" and play a normal D chord. :)

Thanks, I had been playing it as a D chord, but I'm totally new and you're the only one who's answer I understood....I fail :(

Top Bottom