Sore fingers

Smudger

Reaction score
Hi,
Might be a stupid question, but are my finger tips supposed to be both dead and painful at the same time?

My problem is that playing any chord on the top fret is killing my fingertips. I'm not sure if its because its a cheap uke (and presumably cheap strings), I'm squeezing too hard or practising for too long (2 hrs doesn't feel too long?).

I've only had the uke 2 days. My son, a guitar player, says I'm just being a wimp!

I feel a bit stupid asking, but any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Smudge

This is really common when you start out - your fingertips may be both kind of numb, and kind of sore at the same time. Eventually you'll build up calluses and the pain will go away.

If your cheap strings are what I suspect - probably GHS - you might want to switch to something better, both because it will be easier on the fingers and it will sound better too! I find Aquila strings to be the gentlest, but I've heard others say Worth strings are easier on the fingers.

I think it could be a combination of all of those things. A cheap uke may be set up poorly, and thus difficult to play. If the strings are too high off the fretboard at the first fret it will be painful to properly fret there, requiring too much pressure on the fingertips. Often new uke players apply too much pressure while fretting, even on a good, properly set-up instrument. It's easy to get carried away and practice for too long, especially in the beginning. You'll make better progress practicing more frequently for shorter sessions. Try two or three half-hour sessions rather than a continuous two hours. And, finally, you are probably, indeed, a wimp! =)

Keep practicing, and let us know how you make out.

Sorry mate but it's perfectly normal. Your finger tips will harden

Thanks
That makes sense. I did consider sticking plasters on my fingertips, but I could only find Mr. Bump plasters, and didn't want to look stupid!!

Smudge

They're supposed to hurt. Isn't it grand? It'll go away after the peel. :-)

I consider them to be your badge of honor for being an enthusiastic ukulele player....
it's normal for beginners to have them and normal for them to ask....Have Fun strumming them strings.... MM Stan...

Yeah my fingers hurt after I stopped using a pick (holds head in shame) but its getting easier by the day. Hang in there and enjoy your uke time

Thanks for the advice,
Big thank you again for the responses. Might be just psychological, but I'm sure my fingers hurt a bit less today.

Also a big thank you to Uncle Rod for his Boot camp - found it accidentally on the forum and it's structured pattern is perfect for a newbie like me.

Smudger

Oh man, I remeber the days back when I had sore fingers. But I was so determined to learn the instrument that I persisted through. And eventually, I built up caluses, and my fingers are now much stronger because of playing the ukulele. Strong fingertips and strong/agile/coordinated fingers are very good in general for when you want to do work with your hands. Today, I tried to learn some zippo tricks, and I think that if it weren't for playing the ukulele, I wouldn't have been able to pick up on them so quickly.

Stick with it! And yes, playing guitar still hurts my fingers sometimes. Those steel strings are brutal. Make ukulele strings feel like silk.

I used Aquillas for a bit and they weren't for me, but the Worth Browns in medium tension are working WONDERS for my playing. I have a set of barely used Aquillas (Soprano) I will throw in the mail if you want to try them out (just PM me)-most folks love them, just not me (I have them on my tenor though- they are great there). Those GHS strings will kill you.
Oh yeah- and the peeling thing, it is totally coming. Gross

after playing dip your fingers in white spirit..... I have never done it but a friend of mine who plays electric guitar did that and it worked really well and yes, eventually the pain just goes.

Oh yeah- and the peeling thing, it is totally coming. Gross

You don't have to peel! Keep your fingertips moisturized and you will just develop calloused pads that look like normal fingertips. I use some good hand lotion once a day before bedtime. It helps the fingernails too.
–Lori

You don't have to peel! Keep your fingertips moisturized and you will just develop calloused pads that look like normal fingertips. I use some good hand lotion once a day before bedtime. It helps the fingernails too.
–Lori

Yes this works! My fingers were peeling and I had heard about putting moisturizer on them, I thought that would defeat the purpose, but now I have the callous and no peeling!!

Yes the pain will go away with playing just takes time! I went through the same thing!

Top Bottom