My little MP custom

pulelehua

Reaction score
Mike just started the build yesterday. Contrary to some others on this forum who seem to order customs like I change my pants ;), I have sweated and fretted over this. Mike has been really great to work with. Patient. Unassuming. He has a way of offering suggestions and opinions which never seem overbearing, and he always tries to be accommodating. He's also very upfront when an idea just won't fly with him, and even offers the names of competitors who might be able to help. It has really been a very nice process.

So, the specs:

Solid Zebrawood top, back and sides
Longneck soprano, pineapple body
Neck width +1/8" (for just that bit more room on fiddly chords)
"Nuprin" style neck (he very kindly has allowed me to "borrow" his design)
Ebony binding, fretboard, headstock and butt wedge
Curly maple fretboard inlays, pinstriping on fretboard
Custom Honu petroglyph inlay on headstock in curly maple
K&K Passive pickup (didn't want the fuss of active)
Strap button

I was looking for a nice, clear, bright sound out of a 1-wood ukulele, and Zebrawood seemed the exotic way to go. Looked into Tasmanian Blackhearted Sassafrass, but it was tough to source. When I suggested Zebrawood, Mike said he had a supplier.

I still have yet to make a final headstock decision, but I think everything else is in hand.

Here is a pic of the first cuts. Mmm, Zebrawood.

tbscut.jpg

Congrats! Sounds like its going to be awsome. I've been thinking of getting a longneck soprano pineapple too.

Very nice looking, John. I can't wait to see and hear the finished uke. EXCITING.

Wherever did you get the idea for a pineapple uke????? :uhoh:

It was ACTUALLY ;) partly from my ukulele percussion work. A normal soprano figure 8 is just too narrow. Also some work I want to do with golpes, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

It was ACTUALLY ;) partly from my ukulele percussion work. A normal soprano figure 8 is just too narrow. Also some work I want to do with golpes, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

And I thought it was just Clifford copying my every uke... :uhoh:

I must be a real trend-setter... :biglaugh:

(JK)

Beautiful wood set! Can't wait to see more pics as it comes along!

Mike just started the build yesterday. Contrary to some others on this forum who seem to order customs like I change my pants ;), I have sweated and fretted over this. Mike has been really great to work with. Patient. Unassuming. He has a way of offering suggestions and opinions which never seem overbearing, and he always tries to be accommodating. He's also very upfront when an idea just won't fly with him, and even offers the names of competitors who might be able to help. It has really been a very nice process.

So, the specs:

Solid Zebrawood top, back and sides
Longneck soprano, pineapple body
Neck width +1/8" (for just that bit more room on fiddly chords)
"Nuprin" style neck (he very kindly has allowed me to "borrow" his design)
Ebony binding, fretboard, headstock and butt wedge
Curly maple fretboard inlays, pinstriping on fretboard
Custom Honu petroglyph inlay on headstock in curly maple
K&K Passive pickup (didn't want the fuss of active)
Strap button

I was looking for a nice, clear, bright sound out of a 1-wood ukulele, and Zebrawood seemed the exotic way to go. Looked into Tasmanian Blackhearted Sassafrass, but it was tough to source. When I suggested Zebrawood, Mike said he had a supplier.

I still have yet to make a final headstock decision, but I think everything else is in hand.

Here is a pic of the first cuts. Mmm, Zebrawood.

tbscut.jpg

Aloha John,
Congrats on your custom ordered ukulele...and thanks for sharing the pic and the details
too....Keep us informed of it's progress....and now the wait!!!Wow a super soprano pineapple
with a pickup and all the goodies....soooo jealous!! MM Stan...

I've been curious about the zebrawood.

ANd now I'm even more curious about the percussive effect of pineapple vs. standard uke body design.

John, don't worry about what Anna says, she's just got so many damn instruments that whatever anyone else buys they get accused of copying her ;)

One question though, what on earth is an "ebony butt wedge"? I tried googling it and just got directed to p*** sites! Any chance you can translate it into English for me?

Really looking forward to hearing it, also wondering what it would register on a bar code scanner.

Last edited:
One question though, what on earth is an "ebony butt wedge"? I tried googling it and just got directed to p*** sites! Any chance you can translate it into English for me?

Thank you Clifford, you asked the question I was too afraid to ask. ;)

I like that pineapple shape, may have to give it a try some day. I asked MP for a quote on a walnut with redwood top pineapple a couple years back, will eventually get one probably a long neck soprano. I like MP's work.

Ok, maybe end graft is a more appropriate term than butt wedge...my bad. It's the wedge detail on the butt of the uke. I wouldn't recommend googling butt wedge :)

Attachments

• End Graft.jpg
    End Graft.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
Nice!!!! The Zebrawood is awesome!!!! Can't wait to see how your uke will come out and sounds like..I nver heard anything with zebrawood...Last time I've talked with Mike, he talked to me about this wood but it's really nice that you choose this tonewood for your custom!!!

I'm sure you will like your custom!

Ok, maybe end graft is a more appropriate term than butt wedge...

Whatever you call it, I love it. I want one on my next uke. Is it purely decorative or does it actually perform a function? Is it part of the end block?

Hi Clifford, It is purely decorative. I glue it to the end block, although some people do inlay them into the sides.

Behold the BUTT WEDGE! (younger subscribers may wish to shield their eyes)

buttwedgeandclamps.jpg

We're going with a 3 wood tone plan: zebra, ebony and maple. Zebra cos it is, ebony and maple to accentuate the contrast in the base wood. So, it was ebony or maple for the butt wedge. I opted for ebony, which Mike preferred, too. Maple, after all, causes more splinters...

I think it also looks nice with a pickup jack as it prevents the jack from being the only thing to break up the wood grain. Makes everything look very pre-meditated.

Last edited:
Oooooooh, John this is so exciting.

The grain is lovely. I can't wait to see how it comes together. You must be a patient man to wait until Christmas!

:)

I may have to plan a trip down to Kent when it's all done, just to admire you're butt wedge.

Sam
x

Top Bottom