My First FUN Song!!!

roxhum

Reaction score
One month and I have been boringly strumming the simple cords for Clemintine and She'll be coming around the mountains. Why do the beginner song books seem to have the same tired old songs. (Sorry if these are your personal favorites) I believe because I am so new to playing music that I lack a certain creativity. This morning I picked up the book Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps and put in the CD that came with it. I now can play, using a creative fun strumming pattern while I singing, Sloop John B. I think this will even make my 30 year old musician son proud. He rolled his eyes when I said I was playing Clemintine.

Just had to share!

Rox

You have to start somewhere.....I have played that one, row row your boat and few other simple ones...so keep strumming and practi ing

Okay to tell you the truth I have been enjoying Clemintine and I love Buffalo Gals but Sloop John B seemed a little more progressive and it has a really fun strumming pattern and the CD was really helpful. I am afraid I can't put this uke down as dog hair is covering my hardwood floors and mold is growing on the dishes in my sink.

I have enjoyed some of the songs in the Lil Rev companion book to his method book... Theres some beatles, etc in there. I also just got the Fretboard Roadmaps book, maybe I will check it out later today when I get to practice. So far I have impressed no one in my family... Keep on going... I have had my uke for exactly one month today!

I say keep on going and do what you like......I love playing my uke and am far from any good....my kids and wife think im crazy for playing it whenever i play they stare and roll their eyes at me.

I get the same eye roll thing from mine.. Then they ask what song was that again.. All I care about is that I am having fun and feel happy when I play! Funny thing, I was home alone the other day, everyone was at school/work and I tried to sing and play! ha.. I will never be a singer, I had to tell myself to stop! yeah... I am that bad!

Yeah, I am "that" bad too but I think it is easier to get the rhythm when you sing, even badly. I live alone so I can practice my accordion at 6 a.m and sing along with my uku playing. That is if the doors and windows are closed. I haven't had any neighbors throw rotten fruit or veggies at my house.

Play your ukulele and sing. Let them roll their eyeballs until they become lodged in their heads. Rotten fruit and veggies are merely compost materials.
Learn "Creep" by Radiohead.

Cheers!

All I can say is the uke is addicting and my wife hates when I keep playing it.

I say keep on going and do what you like......I love playing my uke and am far from any good....my kids and wife think im crazy for playing it whenever i play they stare and roll their eyes at me.

Time to buy THEM some ukes and let them get in on the fun. Hand yours over to them and teach them to strum a few chords. They'll want one!

Ya gotta love family!

hi roxhum,

really enjoying the three-way exchange on this thread.

I love all the songs you mentioned for the reason that they are so old - everybody knows them!!! That's the great thing about folk music, it's passed down from generation to generation and we keep folklore alive that way. Those songs bring young and older people together I think. You get people singing and humming along in spite of themselves if you persist long enough!!! And, if you stop and think, there is a reason we still learn and sing these songs... cause they're GOOD!!!

All the best with your continuing learning roxhum...keep on strummin and enjoy the journey...It's such an addictive instrument though, isn't it. Many a day have I been in trouble from my dear wife for neglecting household duties in favour of uke time!!!

Lastly, just wanted to give another thumbs up to the Fretboard Doadmaps book. I have learnt much from it and think it is the kind of book that will do you for a lifetime of learning.

happy days mate, eugene

Aloha Roxhum,
Yup those beginner books try to teach you the basic foundation of rhythm and timing with songs that everybody knows.
Maybe you're ready for some new songs, check out Dr uke for some songs and chords...Also Musicteache2010 for tutorials.
I agree the uke is addicting and maybe contagious....get the family ukes for christmas...so they don't miss out on the fun..
the uke is great for family bonding time and awesome memories to pass on...Have fun and "Keep strumming them strings"
MM Stan..
P.S. Congrats on your first learned song....You goooooo....

Start playing THree Little Birds by Bob Marley. Talk about fun and too cool.

Let me know if you need me to post a jpeg of the music and tab and lyrics. Its fairly easy.

I dig it.

Oh yes please do post Three LIttle Birds, that is one song that I have had in my mind to learn. I don't suppose you have the music notes? Didn't think so.

Haha well done mate!! it feels so good when you get past the boring beginner songs and you start learning the songs you love!!
keep going it only gets better from here on!!

I have slowly started making my way through Fretboard Roadmaps. I have heard very positive reviews.

Oh yes please do post Three LIttle Birds, that is one song that I have had in my mind to learn. I don't suppose you have the music notes? Didn't think so.

I'll post a pic of the actual music notes with tabs. THe chords I see in my book are completely different from the link provided by army.

ANyways, it only took me about 3 days to learn the song. It follows in the key of C like it is mainly a major pentatonic scale. Just a splash of Bb and F but heavy on C, D, E, G, and A.

Its such a cool song that I play it when I walk in the park.

I took low res photos. If they don't print well, let me know if I need to scan instead,

The book the music is from (Beloff) and my handpainted rasta uke:

DSC04967.jpg

DSC04964-1.jpg

DSC04965-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom