Sunny Afternoon (Kinks cover)

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Here's my latest attempt at singing. For the most part, I think it's more successful than my earlier attempts (apart from a couple of minor flubs).
This is such a good song for ukulele! It was actually a bloody cold morning, rather than a sunny afternoon, though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6huRVSNCA

Nicely done! I am so impatient to play good.

Thanks for posting that....very nicely done. You'll find a comment from me on YT, although there I'd be known as "Grampalele"....

Aloha Chris,
Enjoyed that one, I think you did an awesome job....I've never tried any Kinks songs....I may have to look into it...
And yup, your 50's Martin does have a high crown....
was it in the high thirties....
Thanks for sharing, it was cool man......
Keep strumming them strings....MM Stan...

Thanks for the kind remarks.
Stan, I see now what you mean about the high crown on the Style 1. I hadn't noticed that before, really. I am not sure of the time period of that headstock change. From what I can find out, they started the decal in 1930, and stopped the stamp on the back of the headstock in '32, which I guess actually makes my Style 2 late '20s rather than early '30s. The tuners on my Style 1 apparently appeared in '52 (according to a thread I found on a Martin guitar forum, but I'm not sure how accurate ANY of this info is!), although they are on my friend's Style 3 which seems to date from '45 to '48 (dot markers, but still has the white doodad on the body). It does NOT have the "Made in U.S.A." under the "C.F. Martin Nazareth PA" hot stamp inside the sound hole. That didn't appear (on ANYTHING from what I understand) until '63. Soooo..... I guess it dates squarely between '45 and '63, based on those criteria. I wish I could narrow it down more! I've seen some Style 1s that had rosewood binding rather than tortoiseshell, and I believe the rosewood was earlier, but I don't know when.
Anyway! Thanks for the comments on my video! Whew! Sorry to hi-jack my own thread!
P.S. - I just discovered another Kinks song that I might have to have a go at, to amuse my wife, if nothing else. A hint... her grandmother was English and we carry on a daily tradition because of that fact...

Last edited:
Today I figured out how to use Garage Band, the multi-track recording program on my Mac. So I did a basic uke rhythm track, a vocal track, and then a "lead uke" track for a little melodic solo between the last verse and ending chorus. I'll be messing around with that program a LOT, I think! If I can figure out how to import them here, I'll be happy to post things in the future.

Last edited:
Today I figured out how to use Garage Band, the multi-track recording program on my Mac. So I did a basic uke rhythm track, a vocal track, and then a "lead uke" track for a little melodic solo between the last verse and ending chorus. I'll be messing around with that program a LOT, I think! If I can figure out how to import them here, I'll be happy to post things in the future.

Cool, I'll be looking forward to the multi-tracks. Your single tracks are great!
DAP

Chris,
Very nicely done! You have a great singing voice - very sweet and mellow, and you played it well. I love the Kinks music, and you did a really nice rendition of the song! Keep it up!

I bought the 45 rpm vynil when it came out .... Wouldn't it be nice .......................Sorry my mistake. I was thinking of the Small Faces single.

Last edited:
One of my favorite kinks songs, and you done it justice.. And the singing was fine suited the song, not one that i found easy to sing.. well done

Top Bottom