Killing Time on a Saturday...

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon hot and humid waiting for a call from my sis on mainland about estate matters, can't leave house, can't do much due to bum back. Then I remember I have a couple 'ukuleles that that need new string. My Koa R&L super-soprano came with Hilo strings and just to verify I strummed it once and it sounded so much like a polished turd I was actually worried new strings wouldn't help, sounding nothing like the last time I played her over 6 months ago. I immediately started replacing the black Hilos with Worth Medium Browns. I started with the g string and right away I could hear the huge difference. After replacing the rest of the strings it was like getting a new 'ukulele or falling in love again with the same person (I think, no experience). After restringing I could not help myself and played her for half an hour before getting to project two.
Part two was restringing my SpongeBob pineapple gifted to me by Jinny (MAHALO again Jinny!) It came with clear nylon fishing line. Hemo da suji! I put a set of Aquila Nylgut soprano strings on SpongeBob and WOW what a difference! I wanted a SpongeBob pineapple for the novelty but now it's actually a decent players! I let 'Bob rest several minutes and went back to my R&L and the string were already out of tune. Fine tuned it and sounding great again! Went back to 'Bob and the Aquila's were stretched a tad slack so retuned and played it some more. WOW again at the improvement the Aquila's made. I am leaving both 'ukulele's out this week to let the strings relax, retune, replay until settled. I'm a happy camper this week end rediscovering two 'ukuleles. ;)
4981682575_cfc36ce0b5_z.jpg

Last edited:
SUnday morning here and I'm listening to some Jack Johnson. Perfect strumming music, all I got to do is pick up one of the ukes.

But first off to the swimming pool with the uke and a songbook.

sounds like a nice afternoon Ahnko!!! I know what you mean about the strings though mate. A few months back I bought a Beltona Resonator, after much to-ing and fro-ing and like your pineapple, it was sent to me strung with Hilo's and sounded like an absolute dog - so harsh and grating on the ears. I thought I'd wasted $1000 bucks but, after restringing with Aquilas, it's a different uke altogether...makes you wonder if the makers of these things know what they are doing when they set them up. The guy at Beltona certainly didn't do his uke justice by his choice of strings,that's for sure. all the best mate, eugene.

Haha...

...you wrote "polished turd"
:p

Strings are unpredictable. Worth BMs on my Ohana concert sound strange, but Aquila's sound great. Same BMs on my Kamoa pineapple are great. Go figure..

...you wrote "polished turd"
:p

Strings are unpredictable. Worth BMs on my Ohana concert sound strange, but Aquila's sound great. Same BMs on my Kamoa pineapple are great. Go figure..

Under polished turd it says Worth BMs! More BM's on your Pineapple. Nothing sounds like BMs! HAAAAAAAAA!

The R&L is simply gorgeous! The figureing in the grain is incredible. I don't think I could put it down. And, I'm sure Bob is happy w/his new set of strings.

Aloha Ahnko,
The ululeles look awesome.....Randy and Lenda's koa graining looks striking gorgeous!!!
And I like them snuggled up in your Green Honu cushion....wea yu got dat???? Honu Luvr
Mahalo for sharing!!! MM Stan..

Top Bottom