PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Singer - Songwriter Contest

musicmonsterw
09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Hello, hello. To celebrate 300 subscribers on Youtube and 3,000 posts on UU, I'm hosting my first contest! The challenge - play the music of Canadian Singer-Songwriters on the Ukulele. The accompany video fills you in on the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3N86n4KD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3N86n4KD8

For reference, here is a brief summary of the rules again:

1. You must be a Ukulele Underground Member
2. You have to say this is for musicmonsterw's Canadian Singer/Songwriter Ukulele contest.
3. The song must be written by a Canadian Singer/Songwriter.
4. The ukulele must be prominently featured.
5. Post your contest video as a video response to the video on Youtube and also post the video in the contest thread here:

Prizes:
1st Place: My CD of original instrumental compositions, A Comet's Tale and a lovely O Canada toque.
2nd Place: A Comet's Tale only (no toque)
3rd Place: A toque.

Only one entry per person or group.
Deadline is Monday, Oct.4, 2010, Pacific Daylight Savings Time.

Hope you enter the contest. Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing your videos!!

Now, for those of you interested in the detailed judging criteria and procedure, here goes:

Judging Criteria
You will be judged on three things: Ukulele Performance, Vocal Performance, and Interpretation. Each category is worth 5 points.

Ukulele Performance: This is not a measure of technical skill but a measure of how much of yourself you put into your uke playing.

Vocal Performance: Again, this is not a measure of technical singing skill or vocal range but a measure of how much you put into your vocals. Are you really putting your heart and soul into it? This doesn't necessarily mean loud. It can be understated and still be a great vocal performance.

Note: If you choose to do an instrumental version, your ukulele performance score will count twice. In this way, instrumentalists will be treated equally with vocalists.

Interpretation: This is a measure of how well you got across the meaning of the song. You can do a straight interpretation or change it up. You can tell a very simple story or weave something quite complex. The question is: how well did you get that across?

Your final score will be the total of the sum of your points in each category.

Judging Procedure

There will be three judges: me and two other musicians. After listening to all the entries, we will each separately use the judging criteria to narrow it down to a shortlist of 8. Then, we will share our lists with each other and discuss. Any entry that made even one of the judge's shortlists will be considered. We will state our opinions, discuss and debate, how and why we awarded points the way we did.

After we are finished discussing, each judge will separately and secretly re-evaluate the selected contestants. Based on the judging criteria, we will write down our choices for 1st thru 5th place. Each contestant then is given points based on what the judges chose in their private evaluations.

1st place -10pts
2nd place - 7pts
3rd place - 5pts
4th place - 3 pts
5th place - 1pt.

The points are totaled for each contestant. This final total will determine who places 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Cheers,

Ronin Wong,
musicmonsterw

Rzr
09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I guess It's time to learn some Canadian songs.

veep
09-12-2010, 03:30 PM

same here .

musicmonsterw
09-12-2010, 03:43 PM

hahah are you kidding me? You know all kinds of Canadian songs. And you are a Canadian. You know, you could even enter one of your own songs.

Stephen, yes it's time.

haolejohn
09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
ummmmm, who are some canadian singers that aren't ladies?

austin1
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
well...there's this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijr4rwb2WbE

his musical videos are pretty much brilliance on a stick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnGwDy2y6s

musicmonsterw
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
ummmmm, who are some canadian singers that aren't ladies?

there's many. Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Bryan Adams, just to name a few. Even Paul Anka.

Chris Tarman
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
For this contest, how do you define "singer/songwriter"?

SuzukHammer
09-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Is Zamfir a Canadian?

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 05:01 AM
well...there's this guy:

I dare someone to perform one of his songs!!

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 05:04 AM
For this contest, how do you define "singer/songwriter"?

For this contest, I'm defining it pretty loosely. Basically, anyone who writes songs and performs their own originals. They can be a solo artist or they can be part of a band. There are probably considerations I may not have thought of in advance. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 05:10 AM
Is Zamfir a Canadian?

Zamfir was born and grew up in Romania. For the sake of this contest, I"m going to rule that he doesn't count as Canadian. Thanks for asking, though.

SuzukHammer
09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Zamfir was born and grew up in Romania. For the sake of this contest, I"m going to rule that he doesn't count as Canadian. Thanks for asking, though.

ok. I want to put a video together; but I don't want to hamper my current progress I'm making learning uke techniques. Hopefully, I can find a canadian song without too much hassle.

I think this contest can generate some inspiration.

sebi
09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Very cool contest, Ronin!!!

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
ok. I want to put a video together; but I don't want to hamper my current progress I'm making learning uke techniques. Hopefully, I can find a canadian song without too much hassle.

I think this contest can generate some inspiration.

Very cool contest, Ronin!!!

Thank you!! I hope this will be fun! That's the whole point.

haolejohn
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
there's many. Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Bryan Adams, just to name a few. Even Paul Anka.

Right on Ronin, I am actually working on a Neil Young song now. Excellent.

SuzukHammer
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm doing a Neil Young song but not for the contest. It might be too radical and I don't want to cause a war between Canada and Colorado.

So, I found a song and it turns out the songwriter (and singer ) is 1/32 Canadian. Somebody was canadian in his family 4 generations ago. soo... I need a ruling.

yai or nai..... what say you?

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm doing a Neil Young song but not for the contest. It might be too radical and I don't want to cause a war between Canada and Colorado.

So, I found a song and it turns out the songwriter (and singer ) is 1/32 Canadian. Somebody was canadian in his family 4 generations ago. soo... I need a ruling.

yai or nai..... what say you?

I would have to say "nay".

SuzukHammer
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Damned. This contest is hard.

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Here's a list from Wikipedia of Canadian Singer-Songwriters. This might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_singer-songwriters

JT_Ukes
09-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Do I have to sing in Canadian?

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Do I have to sing in Canadian?

You sing as yourself, unless you want to adopt a persona.

salukulady
09-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Do I have to sing in Canadian?Just add U's to everything and you'll be covered.

musicmonsterw
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Just add U's to everything and you'll be covered.

You have to know where the U's go though.

salukulady
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
You have to know where the U's go though.I know one canadian who just puts them wherever he wants to....

PrestonM
09-14-2010, 05:31 AM
I think once people start digging into it they'll find that they already play songs from Canadian artists

musicmonsterw
09-14-2010, 05:32 AM
I think once people start digging into it they'll find that they already play songs from Canadian artists

I'm hoping this is the case!!

SailQwest
09-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Cool contest! I'll have to look through our playlist and see if we know anything that would be appropriate. :D

Dougf
09-14-2010, 09:26 AM
So it sounds nothing like Joni, but I'm not trying to :), hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXGt-8Ihiw

musicmonsterw
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
So it sounds nothing like Joni, but I'm not trying to :), hope you like it!

Loved it! Thank you so much entering!!

veep
09-15-2010, 11:39 AM
here you .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6sNYyTTCI&feature=watch_response

musicmonsterw
09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
here you .

Thanks, Stephen!!

dianalele
09-15-2010, 05:54 PM
well...there's this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijr4rwb2WbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnGwDy2y6s

lololol i'm really glad I actually took a second to watch these videos. this guy is out of his mind.

Anyway, this is an awesome contest and I wish I had time to enter! But good luck everyone and have fun ronin!

musicmonsterw
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
lololol i'm really glad I actually took a second to watch these videos. this guy is out of his mind.

Anyway, this is an awesome contest and I wish I had time to enter! But good luck everyone and have fun ronin!

Thanks, Diana!! I hope someone does one of his songs for the contest.

sebi
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Diana!! I hope someone does one of his songs for the contest.

I would really like to see a uke cover of that :) Thanks for introducing me to his music!

sebi
09-17-2010, 08:33 AM
And here's my entry ^_^ Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEsXDLAiB6Y

Rzr
09-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Very great job!

Pueo
09-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Umm, now I don't even want to enter anymore.

I mean, WOW! That is awesome!

Seriously, you are NOT helping me get over my shyness of posting a video.

Excellent work Sebi!

sebi
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Umm, now I don't even want to enter anymore.

I mean, WOW! That is awesome!

Seriously, you are NOT helping me get over my shyness of posting a video.

Excellent work Sebi!

No, no, YOU SHOULD ENTER AS WELL!!! It's all about having fun ^_^ I'm sure your entry will be awesome!!!

Btw, I'm a very shy guy as well (*^_^*)

And thanks for the nice comment on my video. Uke on!

Dougf
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Okay, I concede defeat! Unless we can disqualify him on some sort of technicality, like, um, Avril Lavigne is French-Canadian, who said anything about French-Canadian? Just kidding, Sebi, that was outstanding!

Pueo
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
No, no, YOU SHOULD ENTER AS WELL!!! It's all about having fun ^_^ I'm sure your entry will be awesome!!!

Btw, I'm a very shy guy as well (*^_^*)

And thanks for the nice comment on my video. Uke on!
Hee Hee I'm almost positive I will still enter. This is another case of really needing a sarcasm font.

JT_Ukes
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm furiously working on my scale model of the Titantic to best Sebi's video......

JT

sebi
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Hee Hee I'm almost positive I will still enter. This is another case of really needing a sarcasm font.

Haha, we REALLY need that sarcasm font ^_^ Can't wait to see your entry!!

sebi
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm furiously working on my scale model of the Titantic to best Sebi's video......

JT

Wow! That's gonna rock this boat :D

JT_Ukes
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Wow! That's gonna rock this boat :D

Naw.. I'll never fit into the dress...

salukulady
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Don't bother boys....Sebi, you can be my boyfriend.

BadLands Bart
09-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Where's Canada????? :confused:

musicmonsterw
09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks so much for your entry, Sebi!! Awesome!!

Everyone else, thanks for your comments. hahhaha Sure is a lot of fun. I'm so glad I did this.

Bart, I'm sure you can Google Canada's location. ;)

JT_Ukes
09-17-2010, 02:21 PM

acording to the map on my wall.. its up.

Coconut Willie
09-17-2010, 02:29 PM
acording to the map on my wall.. its up.

From where????

salukulady
09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
From where????Above the Tiki Bar.

JT_Ukes
09-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Above the Tiki Bar.

well after a few hours at the Tiki bar.. everything is up...

Chris Tarman
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM

To paraphrase Homer Simpson: "Who can blame him for not knowing where Canada is... all tucked away down there."

Jerlial Prophet
09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I think Sebi already cinched the win by wearing a "Big Bang Theory" Bazinga t-shirt. Awsome. The only thing that could top it is wearing a "rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock" t-shirt.

SuzukHammer
09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Damned 4 intrumtents and a t shirt sticking it to the man.

Well, if I can't win, at least I can participate.

i"ve found a song and it took me tooo ooooo oooooo f ing long to find a song; so, I'm gonna stick to it. learn it, play it, video it and submit it.

I need this more than the contest needs me.

oh, I had to ditch my plans to sing Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi. It just didn't seem right. There's too much irony in that song. I heard Canada has a lot of irony deposits.

musicmonsterw
09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Damned 4 intrumtents and a t shirt sticking it to the man.

Well, if I can't win, at least I can participate.

i"ve found a song and it took me tooo ooooo oooooo f ing long to find a song; so, I'm gonna stick to it. learn it, play it, video it and submit it.

I need this more than the contest needs me.

oh, I had to ditch my plans to sing Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi. It just didn't seem right. There's too much irony in that song. I heard Canada has a lot of irony deposits.

That's the spirit!! :rock:

kennypinoy
09-17-2010, 11:05 PM
ooh this sounds like a lot of fun, I think I'm gonna try to come up with something... when I first saw that it was Canadian themed I was half tempted to go learn a Justin Bieber Song xP just joking, but I'm excited to try to learn a new song, possibly Bryan Adams

sebi
09-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Don't bother boys....Sebi, you can be my boyfriend.

Awwwww, thank you so much. Do you mind if you have to share me? ^_^

Dougf
09-18-2010, 05:08 AM

I went to a Michael Moore show a few years back, and one of the things he did was to ask for a volunteer from the audience who was Canadian, and one from the US, and brought them both up on stage. He asked the Canadian, "who is the president of the US, how many states are there, and what is the capital?" Of course, the Canadian got three out of three. He then asked the guy from the states, "who is the prime minister of Canada, how many provinces are there, and what is the capital of Canada?" You guessed it, zero for three! I felt pretty smug at the time because I would have been two for three, but I still don't know off the top of my head (or any other part) how many provinces there are.

musicmonsterw
09-18-2010, 06:12 AM
I went to a Michael Moore show a few years back, and one of the things he did was to ask for a volunteer from the audience who was Canadian, and one from the US, and brought them both up on stage. He asked the Canadian, "who is the president of the US, how many states are there, and what is the capital?" Of course, the Canadian got three out of three. He then asked the guy from the states, "who is the prime minister of Canada, how many provinces are there, and what is the capital of Canada?" You guessed it, zero for three! I felt pretty smug at the time because I would have been two for three, but I still don't know off the top of my head (or any other part) how many provinces there are.

To be honest, despite being Canadian, it was easier for me to answer the questions about the US. I had to think hard to remember how many provinces we have: 10. (and 3 territories)

SuzukHammer
09-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I was going to just do what I could on a song and record it this weekend. But...

It turns out that I am solving some problems playing the song which is surprisingly pleasing to know that I can find devious ways to do the song properly. This means I'm learning new stuff.

The other part of this equation is the song I'm learning is one of those songs from teenage years and I can remember this being one of those songs I'd always wished I could play guitar on. To actually start to make the song sound respectable is satisfying on a large level. I was having so much fun, I took the uke with me to practice while we went to the grocery store. I spent hours on the song and I could have made a short song of it; however, I am about 80% done planning out my fingering and I must figure out the solo.

So Ronin, maybe you can help me. I cannot find uke tabs or music sheets for this song. If I can only find guitar tabs, is there an easy way to transpose from guitar tabs to uke tabs. Basically, it seems that I can just subtract fret values on tunings to work it out; but, I thought I'd ask if there was something simple out there.

I am going to practice this song for at least another week so I can submit something worthwhile. My intent to just submit anything this weekend was terminated after having so much fun learning the song. I think the song deserves a little more effort.

Dougf
09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I was going to just do what I could on a song and record it this weekend. But...

<stuff snipped> Basically, it seems that I can just subtract fret values on tunings to work it out; but, I thought I'd ask if there was something simple out there.

I am going to practice this song for at least another week so I can submit something worthwhile. My intent to just submit anything this weekend was terminated after having so much fun learning the song. I think the song deserves a little more effort.

Sounds like you have most of it worked out, but in general guitars tabs sort of work if you leave out the low E and A strings. The fingering will be equivalent, but the key won't be the same, you'll be a fourth higher on the uke.

I think it's a good plan to practice the hell out of it, and then record. I wish I'd done this with more of my stuff, but sometimes I just want to get it done so I can get on with other things.

Good luck, looking forward to it!

Doug

musicmonsterw
09-19-2010, 02:54 PM

So Ronin, maybe you can help me. I cannot find uke tabs or music sheets for this song. If I can only find guitar tabs, is there an easy way to transpose from guitar tabs to uke tabs. Basically, it seems that I can just subtract fret values on tunings to work it out; but, I thought I'd ask if there was something simple out there.

As long as the guitar tabs show frets on the 1st 3 strings of the guitar, you just subtract 5 frets and play on the 1st 3 strings of the ukulele. For other transcriptions, you may have to work out what the notes are.

Really curious now to see what you come up with!

SuzukHammer
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you have most of it worked out, but in general guitars tabs sort of work if you leave out the low E and A strings. The fingering will be equivalent, but the key won't be the same, you'll be a fourth higher on the uke.

I think it's a good plan to practice the hell out of it, and then record. I wish I'd done this with more of my stuff, but sometimes I just want to get it done so I can get on with other things.

Good luck, looking forward to it!

Doug

Other things like work and life or other songs?

I seem to leave songs once I get to a certain point because it only frustrates me to try and finish one song. FOr some reason, it seems to help me come back after a certain time off.

I ended up downloading the music. The first free guitar download was incomplete and it didn't state the tuning used. The pay for dowload is complete and has parts that were missing as well as what may be an easier chord alternative than the free download. Both ways sound good and that means too many options.

I am a beginner so I have to dumb it down.

domjohnson
09-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Think I'll try and enter this.

Dougf
09-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Other things like work and life or other songs?

I seem to leave songs once I get to a certain point because it only frustrates me to try and finish one song. FOr some reason, it seems to help me come back after a certain time off.

I ended up downloading the music. The first free guitar download was incomplete and it didn't state the tuning used. The pay for dowload is complete and has parts that were missing as well as what may be an easier chord alternative than the free download. Both ways sound good and that means too many options.

I am a beginner so I have to dumb it down.

Yes, other things like life, work, other songs, you name it.

Take your time, there's still about two weeks left. Do some serious woodshedding, then let it rest, then come back. I usually find it improves just by letting it sit a while. Good luck, can't wait to hear it!

Doug

molokinirum
09-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you have to sing like a Canadian....eh?????

wee_ginga_yin
09-21-2010, 06:21 AM
mmm mmm mmm mmm there is no way back from too much reverb
but remember one kid had it worse than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLNlRq0Hho

musicmonsterw
09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Do you have to sing like a Canadian....eh?????

ha ha ha ha you can if you want to. But, just do the song as yourself, unless you really want to have a persona.

musicmonsterw
09-21-2010, 07:10 AM
mmm mmm mmm mmm there is no way back from too much reverb
but remember one kid had it worse than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLNlRq0Hho

Thanks so much entering! Good song choice. Could you please post this as video response to the original contest video on Youtube?

wee_ginga_yin
09-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks so much entering! Good song choice. Could you please post this as video response to the original contest video on Youtube?

Consider it done.

Yookoolaylayed
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
well...there's this guy:

there's also these guys.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/3xfn

musicmonsterw
09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
there's also these guys.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/3xfn

bahahhahahhahha. love it.

SuzukHammer
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Good going Ginga.

Work had most of my attention this week; but a promise is a promise. THe video is happening.

I am curious if the time off from my normal uke obsession will help or hurt me. aaaa who cares!! ITs all about being Canadians and Canadians never worry.

musicmonsterw
09-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Good going Ginga.

Work had most of my attention this week; but a promise is a promise. THe video is happening.

I am curious if the time off from my normal uke obsession will help or hurt me. aaaa who cares!! ITs all about being Canadians and Canadians never worry.

You have me so curious now. I really hope you enter!!

SuzukHammer
09-26-2010, 01:46 AM
You have me so curious now. I really hope you enter!!

Well, I just spent 4 attempts to put that song on video and "atrociously funny" is all I can say.

I thought last night I was good to go but I can't put together a song today. My hands aren't working.

THe outtakes could win though. I'm having fun but really, I thought I was better prepared. Can I submit 2 entries - tonights' outtakes and hopefully a better video by the end of the week.

musicmonsterw
09-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Well, I just spent 4 attempts to put that song on video and "atrociously funny" is all I can say.

I thought last night I was good to go but I can't put together a song today. My hands aren't working.

THe outtakes could win though. I'm having fun but really, I thought I was better prepared. Can I submit 2 entries - tonights' outtakes and hopefully a better video by the end of the week.

Sorry, you can only submit 1 entry. But, you can always post both videos and then designate one as your entry. Or, you could just attach the outtakes to the end of your better video. :)

Hiladih
09-28-2010, 04:29 AM
It's really a great contest and I follow the conversation with pleasure!!!
I'll enter too. Have already chosen a song.

@ Sebi: I'm german too. And I had the same idea to take a song of Avril Lavigne... but not the same as you.

I'll post it when it's finished!

Good luck for you all, guys!!!

SuzukHammer
09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I've been able to play the song now with slight hiccups for the last 4 attempts. Even now, I'm still changing things up , trying things. Its fun and I think I have a song in my repetrioire now. I've worked too hard. I don't think I'll forget this.

Now, the other advantage. I had forgotten to listen to Neil Young's albums and I listened yesterday - trying to get the feel of my song. Damned. That guy has some great music. So, it was pure joy to rediscover his music again.

The song I'm gonna submit is Cinnamon Girl

CountryMouse
09-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Here's my last-minute entry: "Early Morning Rain" by Gordon Lightfoot. I based mine on Judy Collins' version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygRfTznSQ4Q

CountryMouse

musicmonsterw
09-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's my last-minute entry: "Early Morning Rain" by Gordon Lightfoot. I based mine on Judy Collins' version.

CountryMouse

Thanks for your entry, Mousie!! A lovely performance.

CountryMouse
09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your entry, Mousie!! A lovely performance.

Thanks very much! And thank you for the kind comment on my YouTube channel. :)

CountryMouse

bobj
09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Good job Country Mouse,
I figure that both Gordon and Judy would be proud of that.
Good luck.

CountryMouse
09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Good job Country Mouse,
I figure that both Gordon and Judy would be proud of that.
Good luck.

Thank you! :)

CountryMouse

lancemanion
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Here is my first ever entry to a contest here on Ukulele Underground. I did a lot of searching before I chose a song. I watched Ronin's videos, and googled Canadian singer/song writers. After double checking that Coolio is in fact not a Canadian, sorry, inside joke ;), I chose Organized Ryhme and "Check the O.R.". They were a hip hop group from Toronto led by Tom Green, (yes, that Tom Green) before he got famous. I took the song and made it my own so I recommend going to youtube and watching the original Organized Ryhme version. By the way, all of the percussion and background sounds were created on the ukulele. I hope you enjoy, wish me luck, would be nice to have a new Canada toque just in time for winter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZo0S-PMcT8

musicmonsterw
10-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Here is my first ever entry to a contest here on Ukulele Underground. I did a lot of searching before I chose a song. I watched Ronin's videos, and googled Canadian singer/song writers. After double checking that Coolio is in fact not a Canadian, sorry, inside joke ;), I chose Organized Ryhme and "Check the O.R.". They were a hip hop group from Toronto led by Tom Green, (yes, that Tom Green) before he got famous. I took the song and made it my own so I recommend going to youtube and watching the original Organized Ryhme version. By the way, all of the percussion and background sounds were created on the ukulele. I hope you enjoy, wish me luck, would be nice to have a new Canada toque just in time for winter.

Thanks for your entry! Lots of fun.

Rzr
10-01-2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6yN9e8lDUE
Okay I'm entered. I really don't like making videos but there you go Ronin. I only did one take, I hope you like it and thanks for holding the contest.

JT_Ukes
10-01-2010, 08:39 AM
I was gonna wait till Canadian Thanksgiving to post my video.. but, as I see that would put it past deadline, I guess Id better get on it this weeend :)

JT

Adie227
10-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Heres my entry

Its a bit rough around the edges but all in the name of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhvAoxkp2A

Chris Tarman
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM
I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of months, and this contest gave me an excuse to actually do it. It is either a really cool idea, or an incredibly stupid idea. Or possibly both!
So what could be more Canadian than Rush? Neil Young COVERING Rush, of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkk_iOQ7uKk

musicmonsterw
10-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks so much for your entries: Ramon, Adie, and Chris!

Hiladih
10-02-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm in too!!! I'm so glad that it's not too late!!

So, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP02P4bOPzw

luschen
10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi, Here's my entry for the Canadian singer songwriter contest - Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats. I'm sorry I couldn't really do it justice - it really makes for a wonderful ukuelele song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Koc60-REo

SuzukHammer
10-03-2010, 01:11 AM
haha. I cannot believe how poorly I perform when on camera.

oh well. Here goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWXP5Q-IG8M

musicmonsterw
10-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your wonderful entries. I'm currently still in SoCal but I will be returning home tomorrow. Looking forward to going through everyone's entries once I get back home!!

revdrkate
10-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Congratulations Ronin! Love those Canadian singer/songwriters. Here's one of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGEjr9NcNag
Kate

JT_Ukes
10-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Here ya go 'eh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10aquVzGIG4

Peace out

JT

idrnoel
10-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi Ronin, here's my entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wexLtk7YxWU

Mim
10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Not trying to be last minute, but this week has been nuts and I have worked every night and did not have time to be home to work on it. And I like to involve the kids since I have been busy lately... so we put a little something together for ya!

Me and my Minions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmJxINRebw

lancemanion
10-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Maybe I shouldn't say this since I am competing against you, but I can't help saying, "awsome song choice" to luschen for "Pop Goes The World", once again, AWSOME choice of songs. good luck

luschen
10-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the kind comment, Lancemanion. It is a great song - easy to play with a nice chord progression - CGFGCG. I'm surprised there wasn't any Bare Naked Ladies. I also thought some Pursuit of Happiness songs would have been good, like "Hard to Laugh" - so much great Canadian music!

Dougf
10-04-2010, 04:14 AM
After already conceding defeat a couple of weeks ago, I've now been bested numerous times over! Great entries guys, yet another contest that will be very tough for the judges. Good luck everyone, and thanks MusicMonsterW, great idea for a contest!

Doug

Rzr
10-04-2010, 04:21 AM
After already conceding defeat a couple of weeks ago, I've now been bested numerous times over! Great entries guys, yet another contest that will be very tough for the judges. Good luck everyone, and thanks MusicMonsterW, great idea for a contest!

Doug

I think you've got as good a chance as anyone.

Chris Tarman
10-04-2010, 05:59 AM
I was also surprised at the lack of Barenaked Ladies. I would have done "If I Had a Million Dollars" if I'd have had someone to sing with me.

Dougf
10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I think you've got as good a chance as anyone.

Nice of you to say so, and I suppose I shouldn't have jinxed my chances, but regardless of the outcome, this really has been a fun contest.

CountryMouse
10-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Nice of you to say so, and I suppose I shouldn't have jinxed my chances, but regardless of the outcome, this really has been a fun contest.

I feel sorta the same way. I mostly wanted to be in the contest because I wanted to sing a Gordon Lightfoot song. :-D

CountryMouse

Mim
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I feel sorta the same way. I mostly wanted to be in the contest because I wanted to sing a Gordon Lightfoot song. :-D

CountryMouse

I wanted to Sing a Justin Bieber song. I was THIS CLOSE to doing it too, but since I do not listen to him but when it is on the radio, I was having troible with the verses, because they really do not flow in any predictable manner. But man I thought it would be hilarious/ annoying to bust out some Bieber! And he co-wrote a lot of his songs and I was going back and forth between 2 in particular.

Chris Tarman
10-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I had fun regardless of the outcome. This is the first Ukulele contest I've entered, and it gave me an excuse to do a song in a way I have been thinking about since June.

Pueo
10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
OK Here is my entry.
This is my first solo YouTube video. I am still silly nervous doing this, but I hope you enjoy it regardless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBMBGlRtmA0

sebi
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
I was also surprised at the lack of Barenaked Ladies. I would have done "If I Had a Million Dollars" if I'd have had someone to sing with me.

I wanted to do "One Week" by the BNL, but since they belong to the Warner Music Group, who had my old Youtube account suspended, I refrained from covering them. But it would have been a lot of fun covering them!

JT_Ukes
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Congrats to all who entered, all very cool vids!

So....

When can we expect the judgig to begin and end 'eh?

Jt

musicmonsterw
10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Congrats to all who entered, all very cool vids!

So....

When can we expect the judgig to begin and end 'eh?

Jt

Thanks so much for entering the contest!! I'm just recovering from my trip to Southern California. It was a great time!! Ukulele players party hard, especially if they're surrounded by beautiful beaches and people. I'm just trying to orient myself back to life north of the 49th parallel.

So, here's where I'm at. One of my judges had to drop out so I'm in the process of replacing her. Once I find a replacement, the judging will begin. For my part, I will start watching all the videos that I haven't watched yet, starting later tonight. I'm going to have a target date of October 15th to wrap things up by.

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Okay I'm entered. I really don't like making videos but there you go Ronin. I only did one take, I hope you like it and thanks for holding the contest.

Really well done, Ramon!! Thanks so much for stepping forward to support the contest!

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Heres my entry

Its a bit rough around the edges but all in the name of fun.

Thanks, Adie! It sounded great to me! You probably have figured out that I really love this song.

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of months, and this contest gave me an excuse to actually do it. It is either a really cool idea, or an incredibly stupid idea. Or possibly both!
So what could be more Canadian than Rush? Neil Young COVERING Rush, of course!

Thanks, Chris! Neil Young covering Rush is ultra-Canadian! (you could even start a Neil Young covers anything set of videos).

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm in too!!! I'm so glad that it's not too late!!

So, here it is!

That was shockingly beautiful!! Thanks, Corinna!

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi, Here's my entry for the Canadian singer songwriter contest - Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats. I'm sorry I couldn't really do it justice - it really makes for a wonderful ukuelele song:

Thanks for posting this! You're right! It really makes a good ukulele song.

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
haha. I cannot believe how poorly I perform when on camera.

oh well. Here goes.

Thanks for entering, buddy! It looks like you had a lot of fun.

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Congratulations Ronin! Love those Canadian singer/songwriters. Here's one of my favorites.
Kate

Thanks for doing this song! It's one of my favourite songs! You sang and played beautifully!!

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Here ya go 'eh....

Peace out

JT

Hey, JT!! That was smokin, eh! Looks a bit hot down there in Florida! Hope you have back bacon, it fights the heat, eh.

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Ronin, here's my entry:

Very soulful singing and playing! You never disappoint, Dylan!

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Not trying to be last minute, but this week has been nuts and I have worked every night and did not have time to be home to work on it. And I like to involve the kids since I have been busy lately... so we put a little something together for ya!

Me and my Minions

Wonderful! So precious! Better watch those minions, they might start getting tough in negotiations. But if they are true minions, I suppose you have that under control.

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
OK Here is my entry.
This is my first solo YouTube video. I am still silly nervous doing this, but I hope you enjoy it regardless!

Thanks, Damon!! Thanks for entering my contest with you your debut solo YouTube video! I feel honoured. And, hey, I know that uke. I swear I've played something like it recently. ;)

musicmonsterw
10-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks, once again for entering the contest! and also for those who made comments on this thread. This has already been more rewarding than I expected. I have managed to replace the judge that went AWOL on me. The other two judges are outside of the UU community but they are musicians. I trust they will be impartial for they do not know any of the contestants.

The three of us will independently watch the videos (for me, it'll be my 3rd pass) and come up with our shortlists. We will meet over dinner on next Tuesday, Oct. 12. There we will discuss the videos and then have our final vote. We will announce the results on Friday, Oct. 15. I will make a short announcement video.

Thank you All! And Peace, eh!

Hiladih
10-07-2010, 08:25 AM
So, after all your comments, Ronin, I think we have to thank YOU for holding this contest! It was really great and a lot of fun! I've learned more about canadian singer and songwriter ;)

sebi
10-08-2010, 07:30 AM
So, after all your comments, Ronin, I think we have to thank YOU for holding this contest! It was really great and a lot of fun! I've learned more about canadian singer and songwriter ;)

I agree 100% ^_^

musicmonsterw
10-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Tonight, I made dinner for the other two judges. Afterwards, we had an intense discussion about the contest entries. It was diplomatic but very intense. Everyone had their own favorites for the contest. Finally, we each wrote down our final top 5. When we tabulated the results (based on the point system described in the judging criteria), there were four entries that clearly scored more points than the rest. I will announce these on Friday.

Once again, thank you for your entries! I'll say this again: I was truly shocked by the quality I saw and heard. I'm glad I had two other judges. It removed the responsibility from my shoulders alone. It would have been much harder otherwise.

musicmonsterw
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm running a little late. I hope to have the results video posted by 3:00 pm PST on Friday, Oct. 15. :-)

If I haven't already subscribed to all your channels, I made sure I did that. Thanks!

musicmonsterw
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Here it is. Finally. The results video. Please have a look. Hope you enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-U_EpSwu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-U_EpSwu0

SuzukHammer
10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Congrats Hiladih, JT, and Sebi.

Adie is a fast becoming a ringer with his prolific number of excellent videos.

I can think of at least 3 other videos I liked.

As always, a learning experience that was fun. I now love to play my Neil Young tune and eventually will video it with lyrics too.

THanks for that opportunity and

Hiladih, Fantastic interpretation!!!

ukeshale
10-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Congrats to all the winners! All great videos.

A big thank you to Ronin for hosting :)

JT_Ukes
10-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Great contest! Thanks Ronin!!!

Chris Tarman
10-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for hosting the contest, Ronin. I had fun, and it was the first uke contest I've ever entered. Congratulations to all the winners, and to everyone who entered!

Rzr
10-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Great job everyone! Congratulations to all the winner's and all that entered. Thanks to the judges and to you Ronin for holding the contest.

Mim
10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks a bunch Ronin! This was a fun contest to enter and congrats on all the winners!

Dougf
10-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Congratulations Adie, JT, Sebi, and Hiladih. And kudos to all participants, so many great entries! And thank you Ronin for a great contest!

CountryMouse
10-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Congratulations to the winners! Great job! This was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I entered. :)

CountryMouse

sebi
10-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats to all participants and winners, and a big thank you, Ronin, for hosting this great and fun contest and for the prizes. Can't wait to wear my toque ^_^ Uke on!!

luschen
10-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Congratulations to all the winners and thank you Ronin for hosting this great contest. Even as a beginner I felt welcome and that my entry was appreciated. It may be a stereotype, but you Canadians always seem so friendly!

revdrkate
10-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Thanks Ronin! And congratulation to the winners. So much talent here in the UU. Contests are such a great way to share.

Hiladih
10-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey WOOOOOW!
Thank you very much, Ronin and the jury!!!
That's really coooooooooool!
And congrats to the other two!!!
Great contest, great entries and great ideas :D

Adie227
10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
thanks for the kind comments and the mention even tho my entry didnt qualify to win.

like i said in my original post i really didnt enter to win anything just seemed like a fun idea. I couldnt resist entering

I've got a new Eleuke on the way I think more Ukulele Rock will be hitting my channel :)