twanging noise on my uke

azynman

Reaction score
i have two uke's and i noticed that one of the uke has a higher bridge. the one that is set higher has this twanging sound on the strings, which vibrate through the uke. it bugs me alot that i don't play it anymore. any suggestions on what it could be causing this problem?

could the tying of the strings on the bridge be a factor as well?

also i noticed that it has a higher pitch then my other uke with a lower bridge.

i have two uke's and i noticed that one of the uke has a higher bridge. the one that is set higher has this twanging sound on the strings, which vibrate through the uke. it bugs me alot that i don't play it anymore. any suggestions on what it could be causing this problem?

could the tying of the strings on the bridge be a factor as well?

also i noticed that it has a higher pitch then my other uke with a lower bridge.

hmm... to me, it sounds like its more the manner in which you're strumming/plucking... try attacking the strings from a more parallel rather than perpendicular manner...
I'd try that first before I did any major mods to your uke.

I doubt the tying of the stings would have much to do with it.. if they're done properly, nothing should be vibrating around but the 'playing surface' of the strings to cause twanging..

As for the pitch... Are you using an electric tuner to tune your uke? Unless you have one uke strung high g and the other low g.. the pitches should be the same from uke to uke.
You can also make the pitch wacky by overpressing on the strings, or by having a poorly setup uke. (a uber high bridge can cause this as well.)
HTH.
--Nut

Is the twanging a buzzing sound? Buzzing can be caused by several things but a common cause is a nut groove too wide for the strings.

...this twanging sound on the strings...
Are you playing country music? if so, that's a natural effect... ;-)

PS. Your caps button is broken.

buzzing

yup it's more of a buzzing sound. i strum the same on my other uke as well as on other peoples uke and i don't hear the problem. i do feel a vibration on the butt when it buzzes.

i read that other people had this buzzing problem and corrected it by cutting the pigtails off the end of the string closest to the bridge.

Top Bottom