PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen this uke made in USA?

Ruukie
09-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Hello,
I made a quick shot on ebay and got the following uke:

Mahagony back and sides, diecast tuners, solid spruce or cedar top, concert size. A label in the uke says "violimpex, Florida, made in USA"

here are some pictures (I guess the rosette might be somehow characteristic):

http://i52.tinypic.com/6to4k2.jpg

Any ideas/hints?
Cheers,
Jens

shrink9
09-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I am curious about how this one sounds. It looks like it has a thicker (than some) top, gauging by the soundhole. That might yield a mellow sound. Please let us know.

Ruukie
09-12-2010, 09:42 AM
The perspective and the macro-lense may be misleading, I don't have the feel that the top is thicker than usual for spruce or cedar, but I didn't measure thickness.
Anyway, this is how in sounds (it's a concert-size, recorded with ZoomH2, no effects): http://www.box.net/shared/gifk5gbig3
At least, I can't identify a uke by sound :D

itsme
09-12-2010, 09:53 AM
solid spruce or cedar top
That top looks like cedar to me. Cedar is softer than spruce and will "open up" more quickly. It is also more prone to dings. You just have to be careful and treat it gently.

Ahnko Honu
09-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I have neber heard of this brand but it looks bery nicely built. ;)

Ruukie
09-12-2010, 10:24 AM
:D Solly, the b is next to the v and I can't change the title afterwards :-) Thus I'm glad you understand me anyway, haha.

I don't know the brand either. Google-search was sucessless, so I assume that company does not exist :D. That's why I started that thread.

spookefoote
09-12-2010, 10:34 AM
How much is it?

Ahnko Honu
09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
The only info on Violimpex I could find was:

VIOLIMPEX CORP
218 DANBY RD
Lehigh Acres, Florida 33936
USA

They don't seem to be in business any longer. That 'ukulele looks real nice, and made in USA a plus. Are you considering buying it?

PS. Thank you for having a good sense of humor. ;)

Ruukie
09-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I have no idea, I shoot it on Ebay from someone who probablity didn't know what it is. I'm going to sell it, but I'd like to know what I sell :-) It plays well, sounds not bad, looks not bad, but is not my size (I thought it might be a tenor, but the seller didn't know the size-differences of ukes).

shrink9
09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
It sounds pretty nice. I'd say that its a keeper.

Ruukie
09-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Hm, I felt in love with another tenor (ok, ordered and payed), so this one will have to get a new home :-) But this should be no problem.