Has anyone ever seen this uke made in USA?

Ruukie

Reaction score
Hello,
I made a quick shot on ebay and got the following uke:

Mahagony back and sides, diecast tuners, solid spruce or cedar top, concert size. A label in the uke says "violimpex, Florida, made in USA"

here are some pictures (I guess the rosette might be somehow characteristic):

6to4k2.jpg

Any ideas/hints?
Cheers,
Jens

I am curious about how this one sounds. It looks like it has a thicker (than some) top, gauging by the soundhole. That might yield a mellow sound. Please let us know.

The perspective and the macro-lense may be misleading, I don't have the feel that the top is thicker than usual for spruce or cedar, but I didn't measure thickness.
Anyway, this is how in sounds (it's a concert-size, recorded with ZoomH2, no effects): http://www.box.net/shared/gifk5gbig3
At least, I can't identify a uke by sound :D

I have neber heard of this brand but it looks bery nicely built. ;)

:D Solly, the b is next to the v and I can't change the title afterwards :) Thus I'm glad you understand me anyway, haha.

I don't know the brand either. Google-search was sucessless, so I assume that company does not exist :D. That's why I started that thread.

The only info on Violimpex I could find was:

VIOLIMPEX CORP
218 DANBY RD
Lehigh Acres, Florida 33936
USA

They don't seem to be in business any longer. That 'ukulele looks real nice, and made in USA a plus. Are you considering buying it?

PS. Thank you for having a good sense of humor. ;)

I have no idea, I shoot it on Ebay from someone who probablity didn't know what it is. I'm going to sell it, but I'd like to know what I sell :) It plays well, sounds not bad, looks not bad, but is not my size (I thought it might be a tenor, but the seller didn't know the size-differences of ukes).

Hm, I felt in love with another tenor (ok, ordered and payed), so this one will have to get a new home :) But this should be no problem.

Top Bottom