24 Hours of YouTube- Final Results?

Boozelele

Reaction score
After monitoring “Uketube” all day it was interesting to see just how many hits some of the videos got. You would naturally think “Wow, great, the Uke is finally getting recognized for what a beautiful instrument it is”. But after reading many of the immature comments that were posted I have to wonder if the Ukulele, and the people who love it, aren’t better off left in relative obscurity. The Uke community is one of the most kind, generous, encouraging, humble, friendly and welcoming groups I’ve ever come across, I sincerely hope it stays that way. :eek:

We have discussed it before about whether alot of us would like it/not like it if the uke became a widespread instrument. From what i remember most of us said we don't mind it becoming widespread, but the immaturity of people would end up the instrument getting slandered some more.

I think it's important that we just remember that we don't need youtube features for the popularity of the instrument to grow, people who are genuinly interested will search youtube for the ukulele and find what they want. Don't know if you've noticed, but compare ukulele artist pages have barely any immature non-constructive criticisms if none. Mainstream artists and other youtube artists get slammed all the time.

I think it all just goes to show that the uke can still be a popular instrument, but still lay in obscurity. That's what I like about the uke. It's strange to many people, but doesn't that just make it all the better when you crack it out on stage?

I think it all just goes to show that the uke can still be a popular instrument, but still lay in obscurity. That's what I like about the uke. It's strange to many people, but doesn't that just make it all the better when you crack it out on stage?

yessir it does :D

Don't know if you've noticed, but compare ukulele artist pages have barely any immature non-constructive criticisms if none. Mainstream artists and other youtube artists get slammed all the time.

I think it all just goes to show that the uke can still be a popular instrument, but still lay in obscurity.

You hit the nail on the head. This is the first time I have seen Uke players get "slammed". Maybe I'm just paranoid, sensitive, and more than a little protective...but I hope you are right. I would rather it lay in obscurity.

You hit the nail on the head. This is the first time I have seen Uke players get "slammed". Maybe I'm just paranoid, sensitive, and more than a little protective...but I hope you are right. I would rather it lay in obscurity.

Most of the "slamming" in my video comments were either about the song's subject matter (foul language) or how I pronounce "ukulele'.

The people that left nasty messages are generally nasty people and won't bother to try the uke. But I did receive a lot of kind comments and some that even said they wanted to try playing the ukulele. I've even been able to recommend some ukes to some who sent me messages! :)

All in all, I think it was worth it! :cool:

Honestly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about the uke. I love to play it. Doesn't matter to me if it is a popular instrument or not. I played some brass instruments when I was younger and have even messed around with the piano. The uke was the only instrument that made me smile when I played it. The fact that it is a part of my heritage and is played by many of my family members back in Hawaii is just an added bonus. Who cares if an instrument is taken serious or not. If you like to play the spoons and it brings you joy, play on! I know some pretty good spoon players, BTW. LOL!

Who cares if an instrument is taken serious or not. If you like to play the spoons and it brings you joy, play on! I know some pretty good spoon players, BTW. LOL!

Both of the instruments I play (ukulele and harmonica) are looked at as "toys" by a lot of people.

But ultimately, I play because I love it, and having other people enjoy my music is really the icing on the cake! :music:

Top Bottom