Here's the last one :(

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
My last set of fiddleback mahogany - probably never see wood like this again in the UK...

DSCF7759.jpg

Oh Em Gee. Something must be seriously wrong with me, when I saw the figure on that mahogany a laugh of astonishment escaped and I swear I kinda teared up a bit. Maybe it's because you said it's the last of it... what a melancholy moment, but what a beauty.
I'ma save the pic.

Last edited:
That's some gorgeous wood and you do beautiful work. :)

But if I may make two observations...

The squared off headstock is very "plain jane." Have you ever given any thought to carving it at all? Many luthiers make a distinctive headstock part of their trademark.

I really like slotted headstocks but the outer strings (g, A) should wind toward the outside of the headstock, and the interior strings (C, E) should wind toward the center so that they're not crossing over each other. Or maybe that's just the classical guitarist in me thinking what I feel is better aesthetically. :eek:

That's some gorgeous wood and you do beautiful work. :)

But if I may make two observations...

The squared off headstock is very "plain jane." Have you ever given any thought to carving it at all? Many luthiers make a distinctive headstock part of their trademark.

I really like slotted headstocks but the outer strings (g, A) should wind toward the outside of the headstock, and the interior strings (C, E) should wind toward the center so that they're not crossing over each other. Or maybe that's just the classical guitarist in me thinking what I feel is better aesthetically. :eek:

I think Pete's headstock designs are distinctive. They're classic and clean compared to most builder's.

Looks beautiful to me too. I think that fancy headstocks fret markers, rosettes and purfilling would be a distraction from that beautiful wood.

My only regret

My only regret is that I have a child in college and cannot afford one of Pete's totally awesome ukes. You've got a gift Pete. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Top Bottom