What have I gotten myself into?

lisaxy424

Reaction score
So, my school district is holding a fundraiser/faculty talent show, and me being that annoying go-getter you hate at work, took the role of coordinating my school's act (which just so happens to be a 40-teacher marching band playing "Pokerface" by Lady Gaga...)

But NOW I've also agreed to provide pre-show music...on my uke...for all the students and families...yup.

I need major help with this! Please share all your suggestions of music that won't be "lame" to my students, but still 100% family friendly! The reason we're getting away with playing Lady Gaga is because our arrangement is only instrumental...but for this part, I'll be singing and playing for 30 minutes, and may have a violin player with me (I know, this just gets better and better...)

The only "appropriate" songs in my stash are turning out to be The Beatles and stuff like "I Can See Clearly Now" and "Build Me Up Buttercup"...and you can bet your @$$ I'll be playing all the p-uke songs like "I'm Yours" too - I am not above them in this scenario!

PLEASE HELP! :)

How about do a search in you tube... My 10 yr old daughter could listen to soul sister on uke all day(not me playing you tube). How about girls just want to have fun by Cindy Lauper,
Check out a lot of Julia Nunes covers alot of her covers are good and family friendly.
Good luck. I am sure it will be great!
Lot of work though huh?

Sounds like fun!

How about Bob Marley? You know, the less, um... "smokey" of his songs. :)

Neil Diamond works surprisingly well too.

JJ

Do your rendition of Billionaire. You'll students will like that/think its hilarious. A teacher rapping is win.

Have you heard cooler than me by mike posner? It's another new easy song. Eb D Gm over and over

orrrrr Bruno Mars The Way You Are- that's F Dm Bb F (i believe) I'm sure you could learn it in time.

Just trying to think of new ones for you.

Bruno Mars The Way You Are- that's F Dm Bb F (i believe) I'm sure you could learn it in time.
Fun song. Sounds like those are the right chords.

well you can try this site http://www.chordie.com/ ....you can search by song or artist and then when you find the one you want click on it and on the right hand side of page you can change it to ukulele and have the chords for it. hope that helps some.

Any song the audience can sing along to. Remember when Natalie did Build Me Up Buttercup at UWC? EVERYBODY sang along! Another Saturday Night, Brown Eyed Girl, (but don't do those two back to back, they're the same chord progression) Margaritaville, Sea Cruise. Any song the audience knows the chorus to is a hit, especially at a school function. Parents wanna join in. And don't forget Tiny Bubbles and Hukilau....They can all sing the echo on Tiny Bubbles and get someone to teach the Hukilau dance to a few Dad's. Put hula skirts and coconut bras on them and make them dance for the kids. Vamp the song slowly over and over (talk the vocals while they are being shown the moves) while they are learning it and then close it with the Dad's dancing and hamming it up while you sing at a faster pace.

Dorky is good and parents love that crap. Gosh Lisa, I wish I was there to help you, it would be fun and we could go out drinking afterwards.

Let us know how it goes....good luck.

That's fantastic! :D

I think "Build Me Up, Buttercup" is a great choice.

Ideas:

Single Ladies - Beyoncé
Halo - Beyoncé
Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus
Hey, Soul Sister - Train
Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland
Bulletproof - La Roux
King of Anything - Sara Bareilles
These Words - Natasha Bedingfield
So What - Pink
No One - Alicia Keys

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi

Hey where do you live. I could always join you on my accordion.

Sweet Caroline??? I wooda never thought of that one but what a great idea.
Maybe this sounds weird but I usually do Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow when I'm cornered with a uke, and it works every time, especially with kids.
Then again, I often ad lib songs on a C F G7(or Dm) progression with crazy lyrics, like "No peeing in Bed" or "Fireman are our friends" type words, and the kids always freak out laughing.
But then again I'm crazy....

Mr Blue Sky and Dream a Little Dream of Me!!!

"Puff the Magic Dragon" always gets the audience singing and nostalgic.

AlohaLisaxy424,
I'd say play some easy songs first to warm up...then I'd try some timeless classics ...maybe some local stuff that every age group knows...
In Hawaii, there's brother IZ, pearly shells etc. or which works well too is beatles....like you said. Have fun and let us know how it goes....MM Stan..

I'd check out the songs that have been featured on Glee. Lots of those are big crowd-pleasers, and if the kids recognize them from the show, they'll seem "current" even if they are actually a couple of decades old :).

hi lisaxy,

I'm with Stan; I'd be going for some ol'time folk songs where you can get a bit of audience interaction happenning and some by-play with the crowd. Stuff like "Skip To My Lou", "Quartermaster's Store","Jennie Jenkins" et.al. where the audience can call out stuff and help make up the verses. Some novelty songs and singalong songs; TV themes?; gotta throw in a Dylan or Pete Seeger song (personal bias!); a chart hit or two from times present or past (yeah,you probably have to do "Soul Sister" and/or "I'm Yours"); maybe a couple of tin pan alley type songs ("Blue Moon"?)and nostalgic ones like ADD said...just keep it surprising, talk to the crowd and show them you're having fun too- that's always really contagious...oh, and THE song you just CANNOT LEAVE OUT:

I have a sad story to tell you
It might hurt your feelings a bit
Last night when I walked in my bathroom
I slipped on a big pile of sh..........aving cream!
Be nice and clean! Shave everyday and you'll always be clean! etc etc

("Shaving Cream" traditional song - Lil' Rev does a cover of it on his most recent record)

Lots of fun and guaranteed to keep the vibe nice and lighthearted!

Hope it goes well for you! eugene

How about "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"? Is there music related to the Twighlight movie saga (I'm lame. I really don't know if there is)? If so, it'd be big with the kids....

I'd check out the songs that have been featured on Glee. Lots of those are big crowd-pleasers, and if the kids recognize them from the show, they'll seem "current" even if they are actually a couple of decades old :).

I agree, I think Glee would be a big hit for pretty much all ages, and most of the songs featured on Glee are fairly well known and easy to sing along to. If you want to be a bit more daring you could try doing something more recent: Dynamite - Taio Cruz ?

Top Bottom