Northern Ukulele Model JCD-4

bobby b

Reaction score
I posted this question in my intro thread, but figured I'd post here too.

I came across a 1970's Northern JCD-4 in mint cond. It has been in storage for the last 30 years!!. I have found some info on the other models but absolutely nothing on this JCD-4.
It has a rosewood fretboard, rosewood(?) back and sides, Mahogany neck and solid Spruce top. There is a small ( wood looking ) tag on the inside that say's "handcrafted by K. Yairi" Anyone have any other info out there?

Here are some pics of the JCD-4

Attachments

• DSC_7251.jpg
    DSC_7251.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5583.jpg
    IMG_5583.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_7250.jpg
    DSC_7250.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_7252.jpg
    DSC_7252.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_7257.jpg
    DSC_7257.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 45
I don't know a darn thing about it except that it's way cool and I want one....

You might already know this, but I believe those were made for the School uke program (I forget the name of it) started in Canada by (I THINK) J. Chalmers Doane in the '70s. I believe that James Hill came up through that program, and that it still exists in some form or other. I've seen other Northern ukes but that is a VERY high-end looking instrument. Very cool! It could be a fancier version, or different thing altogether. The ones used in that teaching program WERE called Northern Ukuleles, however.

Last edited:
That's about the nicest Northern I have ever seen. ;)
As far as K. (Kazuo) Yairi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yairi

Yairi is the name of three Japanese luthiers, who build hand-made acoustic guitars.
In the 1960s and 70s Sadao Yairi, made guitars under the S. Yairi name. H. (Hiroshi) Yairi is Sadao Yairi's son, and made acoustic guitars under his supervision (and usually signed and/or stamped by S. Yairi). Sadao was Kazuo's uncle, and the brother of Giichi Yairi (Kazuo's father).

S. and H. Yairi are marketed under a few names in the US: Yairi & Sons, Kohno, Shelly, and Wilson are some of the names.

Yairi is now the name of the top line of Alvarez guitars. Alvarez Yairi guitars are hand-made in the same factory as K. (Kazuo) Yairi guitars and are only sold under the Alvarez name in the United States.

I now notice the "JCD" in the model name, which I can also see on the inside label. "JCD" = J. Chalmers Doane!

There's a JCD-2 currently on eBay....a bit rough, missing the bridge and the nut....

I've seen these before, but never as nice as this one, and never with a case, much less a hard case....

Thanks everyone!
Got a few question's. Since being in storage ( in a case ) for so long, the wood still looks ( and smells ) fresh.
Would it be advised to keep a humidifier in the case too? Or would I be better off leaving it as it is?
It's been ok so far I guess, a few frets have lifted a little so I'm taking it to a local luthier for a little TLC. No cracking or anything 'dried out' looking, as far as I can see.
I've been advised to use a humidifier with my Kelii Koa Tenor , but that is because it came from Hawaii.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:
I posted this question in my intro thread, but figured I'd post here too.

I came across a 1970's Northern JCD-4 in mint cond. It has been in storage for the last 30 years!!. I have found some info on the other models but absolutely nothing on this JCD-4.
It has a rosewood fretboard, rosewood(?) back and sides, Mahogany neck and solid Spruce top. There is a small ( wood looking ) tag on the inside that say's "handcrafted by K. Yairi" Anyone have any other info out there?

Here are some pics of the JCD-4

Wow! That is a fine looking instrument. i didn't know they made such high end Northerns. Mine is in good working condition... but somewhere between "beater" and "player".

Top Bottom