Twelve reasons why you should come to Florida

bassfiddlesteve

Reaction score
Here's why you won't want to miss the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway:

1) The first day is free!
2) Catch the ukulele spirit by watching the acclaimed film "Mighty Uke" and be the first on your block to own a copy.
3) See some of your favorite ukulele artists performing in an intimate venue...and have them teach you how they do it!
4) No having to choose one workshop over another. Attend them all!
5) Win a new ukulele...maybe even a custom one-of-a-kind LoPrinzi built just for this event!
6) Find the uke of your dreams with our vendors or at the ukulele swap meet.
7) Be the first to play out of Jim Beloff's newest songbook "The Daily Ukulele", his biggest book ever with 365 great songs. In fact, you'll get to strum along with Jumpin' Jim himself!
8) Won't it be getting cold up north? Florida sure is nice in November!
9) Need a place to stay? Our lakeside resort hotel is offering discounted rates for festival attendees.
10) End your busy weekend at a poolside luau with live Hawaiian music.
11) Two words: Victoria Vox
12) All proceeds from this event go to the American Asperger's Association, a non-profit group that provides treatment and support for children with autism. Where else can you have so much fun and help a good cause at the same time?

Check out the the website to learn more about this great event.

- Steve

Aw hell, now I've got to drive down for it. :)

Great post- I have taught 4 kids with Asperger's Syndrome so far on this rocky road I call a career, and I have found them all to be amazing ...the kinds of people I am certainly glad to have on my side now ;) Not going to make Florida, but certainly checking the website for where to send the money I have not yet blown on Ukes.
Big ups for supporting the Asperger's Association

thanks for the thread Steve.

I spoke to Dr Ron a month or so back about the Tampa Bay Getaway. It sounds just so lovely. It would be a dream come true for me and the family to fly over, but, sadly, highly unlikely given the distance involved and cost.

I used to work as a Chaplain in a couple of high schools down here in Tassie, and did a lot of 1:1 work with a Grade 9 (15 years old) fellow who had autism. Fantastic kid and really gifted in many ways. I think I learnt a lot more from that relationship than he actually.

Aaaaah, Lakeside Resort Hotel...VV.....strumming with Uncle Jim...Mighty Uke film...workshops...no doubt a bit of good ol' barnkicking!..poolside luau...for a uke obsessive like me stuck out in the Tasmanian bush it really seems a world away. I'll be following it all closely through the web mate, wishing all the while I was there too...

Aloha Steve,
Thanks for sharing, and thank you for supporting the Amercian Asperger's Association......I would like to go but
I'm suffering with Physical health issues, and it's too far...I know it's going to be real fun though with all the
activties you mentioned...BTW- I like the music on that link you provided, is that out yet?????
Thanks again....MM Stan...

I just saw (and took a songwriting class with) Victoria Vox at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in NoCal. She alone is worth the price of admission! In the class, she played and talked about "Make A Mess," the beautiful song she contributed to the American Asperger's Association charity CD. (I just bought the CA and also loved the song "Square Pegs." The whole CD is great!) Wish I could attend, but the timing isn't going to work. I will, however, be seeing "The Mighty Uke" (my second time) at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco on Sunday September 26, where the producers hope to break the world record for a group ukulele strum. Good luck with the Festival, and kudos for your support for the American Asperger's Association.

My wife and I plan to be in Florida in November. We talked about pushing the trip back a week in order to make this event. We still don't know for sure if we will do that, but the idea gets my vote.

Ooh, very tempting. Just started a new job, so don't know if I am in a position to request that time off (I work retail, weekends aren't free and clear). Have a friend in that area but the resort itself looks sublime.

Top Bottom