help with chord

peterhonig

Reaction score
hello,

I've recently begun to play ukulele and I like it alot. this is my first post and I'm not sure if it belongs to this section. but anyway..

I want to play this chord progression: Bbm - Db9b5 - F

I know how to play the chords except Db9b5.. I searched the web and used the chordfinder from ukulele.nl but I couldn't find it.

can someone help me out?

Last edited:
That's an odd chord. What song are you trying to play?

Db9b5 = 4536

Db9(b5) is a tricky chord! Technically, it's made up of five different notes:

Db
F
G
B
Eb

At least one of those notes has to go, otherwise the chord won't fit on the four strings of your ukulele. Needless to say, that give you tons of different options for playing the chord on your uke. Here are a few to play with:

0342 (This leaves out the Db)

4534 (This leaves out the Eb... the "9th")

4536 (This also leaves out the Db)

But... where did you get the chords you're using? What's the song you're learning, and where in that song do these chords appear?

I ask because lots of chord charts found on the internet are just plain wrong. I'd hate for you to go to all the trouble to learn some crazy chord, only to have it turn out that that's not the right chord in the first place. :cool:

JJ

Edited to add: Dang. I'm too slow for Seeso! :)

There are numerous possibilties. First, I assume you're looking for Db 9b5, not D b9b5. Then, to create a melodic line on those chords (gcea tuned uke), I would try 3111 (Bbm) - 0312 (Db 9b5, no root) - 2013 (F with C), which creates a chromatic melody on the A-string 1,2,3 (Bb, B, C). But, this is only one possibility out of many, depending on the context.
-ruukie-

I've got to know what song you're playing

As Ukulele JJ mentioned, you're going to have to leave one note out of the chord. I'd probably opt to leave the 9th out of the chord because it's not going to be the strongest note of the chord (at least to my ears).

This would leave Db F G and then B.

If you're standard tuning (re-entrant), I might play this chord like: 0112 (G, Db, F, B). This would make the Db note in the chord the lowest sounding string which can help establish the root of the chord.

Or if you're tuned with a low G (or even in standard re-entrant), I might play the chord like: 6768 (Db, G, Bb, F).

You have quite a bit of options with the amount notes you have, so the best thing to do would to experiment with these different voicings and go with the one that sounds the best.

hello,

yeah, it's a pretty weird chord but thanks to you all for your help.
the song is "Electric Bell Blanket" by Buckethead. and sorry for the late response, I've just returned from the physician.

Top Bottom