Kamaka concert - is this a fair price?

janeray1940

Reaction score
Someone is offering to sell me their 2005 Kamaka concert for $750. Pics can be seen here. It's got a little ding near the soundhole (not a crack) but otherwise looks and sounds great.

I haven't seen too many of these come up for sale so I'm not certain if this is a fair price or not. I know the MSRP is $870, but this one is especially pretty and I suspect that counts for something.

Someone please talk me down off this ledge. Or encourage me to jump!

Someone please talk me down off this ledge. Or encourage me to jump!

Jump! And sell me your Pikake Soprano to help defer the $$ of the fall. (my daughter is immensely jealous of my own KoAloha Soprano).

Personally, I am in almost the same dilemna - there's a beautiful KoAloaha Concert w/ pickup taunting me in a similar way.

Jump! And sell me your Pikake Soprano to help defer the $$ of the fall. (my daughter is immensely jealous of my own KoAloha Soprano).

If I jump, I will most definitely be selling my Koaloha - I'll let you know!

I'm preeeettyyy sure you can get a better price for an even more vintage used Kamaka.. I think.

Just saying :)

That's the thing - I don't really want a "vintage" one, and that seems to be all that I ever see come up for sale in the usual places. Personally I've found vintage instruments to be more trouble than they're worth :)

That's the thing - I don't really want a "vintage" one, and that seems to be all that I ever see come up for sale in the usual places. Personally I've found vintage instruments to be more trouble than they're worth :)

I see :) Then i guess you should jump.

(GMoney should be thanking me HAHAHAHA)

Aloha Janeray,
I like the newer kamaka concerts much better than the white labels...they have a much more
refined sound with tons of substain and resonance...the problem is the price....kinda steep..
if you can haggle it down a little it would be worth it...I'd pay $600.00 if it's in good condition.
Maybe mint $650.00 the most but it has to be extrodinary...I hope it helps, Good Luck!!
MM Stan.
P.S. Try and play it first before buying, to see how it sounds....gotta make sure if you're
popping that kind of money...bring your tuner to check...try not to get excited when
you're making the decision....

Last edited:
I'd pay $600.00 if it's in good condition.

Thanks MM Stan - that's exactly what I offered the seller! He was asking $800, then gave me $750 as his best price, which I passed on. Maybe he'll counter-offer...

I think I would pass at $750. If you can do it for $700 I would probably grab it...it does look beautiful, that is some gorgeous koa. How did it sound?

I might pass on this too. The price is a little steep for a used one. The wood has some nice grain but the crack/ding by the soundhole offsets the wood for me. I would rather have a plain grained wood that was in perfect condition.

How did it sound?

It sounded great - actually very similar to my Kamaka soprano. I had expected it to be quite different, somehow. I only wish it didn't have the factory strings on it - I'd love to try out some Aquilas on it before deciding whether or not to go through with it.

...the crack/ding by the soundhole offsets the wood for me. I would rather have a plain grained wood that was in perfect condition.

I agree - if the seller will renegotiate the price I may reconsider.

Hello Janeray,

Do keep in mind that not all concerts cost $870, some cost more.
Mine for example is currently being built and is significantly more expensive
but after saving for more than a year it's what I want.
Looks like nice wood on your uke. Best of luck.

Cheers.

I saw this one on craigslist last week and thought the asking price at $800 to be about $150 too high. Knowing there is an imperfection, I'd probably try to get it down to $600 to even consider it. Playing it may change my mind a bit, but on paper it's a bit high. If you're having a tough time finding another that suits you, the convenience of having it in your backyard and knowing it sounds good could add value to the deal.

Do keep in mind that not all concerts cost $870, some cost more.

Thank you, this is helpful - I didn't know that, but the seller told me he paid $1000 for it and until I saw your comment, I was a bit skeptical!

the convenience of having it in your backyard and knowing it sounds good could add value to the deal.

This. Is killing me! Because really, how many other chances will I have in this lifetime to take a two-block walk from work and come back with a sweet little ukulele. Decisions...

This. Is killing me! Because really, how many other chances will I have in this lifetime to take a two-block walk from work and come back with a sweet little ukulele. Decisions...
I need to get down your way to McCabes and check out the National resonators they have there. I was about to post that he probably overpaid a bit at $1000 since he did buy it whilst in Hawaii. I know I tend to pay a bit more for stuff when I'm there.

One other thing to keep in mind if your itching for a new uke. MGM will be at the Cerritos uke fest in a couple of weeks and he'll have a great selection for you to try out all you want. There will be other vendors there as well. I think Buffalo Bros out of Orange County were there last year and so were the guys from Oceana...

Good point about the uke fest, didgeridoo2 - I'm planning to be there.

Top Bottom