My first Uke Jam...Schenectady NY

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I attended my first Ukulele jam tonight. Well, I am humbled and amazed... After 4 weeks of practicing, I could hardly keep up! I brought my friend for safety... I never knew how well she could sing, and by the time we left she wanted one too.(said she played for a year in school, part of her music program)
Anyhow, I couldn't keep up, but I did try a bit... I had so much fun! There were 15 other players there, it was great to hear and see so many ukuleles. The guy playing the resonator was amazing! There was a room full of different fleas etc.. I am humbled and in awe!
I found someone that teaches, and I am excited to get started with some more lessons!
yeah...
Sorry so excited I had to share!!

Good for you!
Keep us posted on your progress.

Aloha Carrie,
I'm glad that you had a great time and enjoyed yourself...I see now you have a ukulele partner to go to
the ukulele jams with...Is she intrested of getting a ukulele too or singing....I'm also happy that you found a
teacher to help you in your progress. Let us know of your progress and thanks for shareing!!! Was the Ukulele
Jam in Albany????? MM Stan...

It was in a little town called Schenectady about 12 miles outside of Albany! In a small little cafe.
Either way my girlfriend had a great time too. She is a drummer for a Pipe band and is my running partner. I had no idea she could sing! She will be singing for me playing she has no choice!... My daughter can sing too, even though she is 10. I think I will take her next time!

That wil keep you learning.

Did they give you a list of items to practice?

Is there a link for that jam? I'm not far from Schenectady (which is actually a city, not such a little town:) )
Check out the Fiddler's Tour: http://fiddlerstourtemp.webs.com/
It's a Capital District (NY) open jam for any and all acoustic instruments. Everyone is welcome from killer great fiddlers to rank beginners. Each month it moves to a different location. A great group of welcoming people.

Was that jam the Electric City Uke Club at the Moon and River Cafe? I went to it about a year and a half ago when I had my Fluke on order. After finding the cafe on the side street in town, I got out and could hear what I thought was a banjo as I walked down the street. When I went into the cafe, there was a guy playing a banjo uke. That night, there were only 4-5 people there, they were very friendly but I was intimidated by their level. Looking back, at least 3 of these guys were really good. Two of the guys had multiple ukes and one offered to lend me one to try. Ron Gordon who was leading the group had a new Collins Uke that was beautiful. I declined due to being so overwhelmed. I never went back though had planned on it. It is good to see that there are many more people there and I guess I will venture back to the place and try again. It is good to see that this area is having the uke community expand.

I hope it was Moon and River. I just looked the place up and their vegetarian menu looks fantastic, and I'm not even a vegetarian. I sent an email to Ron Gordon to find out if that jam is still active and will report back here.

I hope it was Moon and River. I just looked the place up and their vegetarian menu looks fantastic, and I'm not even a vegetarian. I sent an email to Ron Gordon to find out if that jam is still active and will report back here.

It is exactly that Jam.. No one really ate anything they were all too busy playing. I posted this a few weeks ago on the UPstate group, but I don't really think anyone checks the groups much! Next one is Columbus day... Their menu does look great and I am hoping to eat some lunch there soon.. I don't even think I live 4 miles from there.. Hope to see you in Oct then!

I forget that Schenectady is a city, I live across the bridge in Scotia... small village... I just don't think about it in that way. I do believe that Ron Gordon is involved in that Tuesday night jam as well... The Electric City Ukulele club meets the second Monday... it has always been at the Moon and River Cafe... The Fiddlers tour, I don't know much about, however I am sure that they wouldn't mind Ukulele's too. I might have to check that out too...

Last edited:
That wil keep you learning.

Did they give you a list of items to practice?

NO list of items to practice, but hope to have a lesson soon, as soon as I figure out the new schedule with the kids starting school... I do see some great improvement, trying to keep up, has helped me quite a bit. Not sure how or why, but I notice a difference when I am playing at home. Maybe it's just a breakthrough and a fluke(not the ukulele kind, to bad though) timing... who knows. I am having great fun though.

I got an email from Ron today confirming that they are indeed having the next jam on Mon, 10/11. I'm gonna try to get there, maybe my wife too although she doesn't play uke. Maybe this will inspire her. She just finished nurse practitioner school, so she will have some time to learn an instrument.

OOOH! I'm going to have to try to make the next one! I've never been, but have heard good things about this jam. I live in Rensselaer County and have been playing for about 4 or 5 months. I've been going down to an Open Mic night in Troy on Wednesdays from time to time. It's at the Flavour Cafe and is hosted by a friend of mine. Really low key and fun. They always let me get up there and fumble my way through my two songs, kind of like a public practice session.

There were several 'listeners' even folks on the stoop across the street listening in.... Your wife would be more than welcome... It was a nice relaxed atmosphere. The cafe itself is nothing fancy...

that's an awesome story ftncrafty. Really life affirming actually.

For me, I live out in the bush 45minutes away from the nearest decent sized town...one of the reasons I joined UU acouple of months back was because I had been feeling so isolated and basically, sick of playing ukulele by myself...I wanted to share my passion with other people. Anyway, I went to my first uke group meeting and it just spun me out to see so many other people holding a ukulele...I had started to think I was the only one...I think I went away that first night with a smile that lasted till the next morning!

Since then I started my own uke group closer to home - just last week...though it's a small gathering (only half a dozen of us), it's nice and personal and intimate. The ukulele sure brings people together. Thanks for sharing. I think we all share your passion too. Cheers, eugene:eek:

Top Bottom