scrap wood ukulele project

g4ry

Reaction score
I recently visited my parents for about a month. They live on a very small island (where I grew up) where there isn't really much entertaining to do. I was really interested in learning to play the ukulele, so I decided to build one while I was there. This is the first musical instrument I've ever built, but I was really pleased with how it turned out. I made it from some scrap birch wood. As you can see in the picture, the scrap wood I used was only around 2.5 inches wide, so I actually had to make a 4-piece top and back for the ukulele. I had no idea what I was doing, no templates or instruction, no experience, and very limited tools (and obviously not much selection of wood).

Anyway, just wanted to post so as to possibly inspire someone else to try something similar. My Koa Pili Koko arrived from MGM about a week before I finished the uke (and such was my inspiration for the bridge design ;) ), so I decided to give this one to my dad for fathers day. I had a blast building it, and may revisit this again someday with proper tools, and maybe some nicer wood.

Oh yeah, they had a dialup internet connection, so I was able to do some research (although it seems information on ukulele building is a little limited on the internet). Other than that, it was mostly just built out of creativity.

I took tons of photos during the process, if anyone is interested in some ill-informed guess work ukulele building ;)

Shown is the wood before i started, and the almost-finished uke hanging while the varnish was drying.

Edit: Here is a link to a bunch of photos during the building process.

before.jpg
after.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try to sort through them and upload them somewhere later on this evening. Thanks for the kind words.

//gary

Thats looks pretty sweet for a scapwood ukulele

Impressive!

Yeah....I want to do that some day....

Can I be your dad? I am GREEEEEN with envy!:D:biglaugh:

is it just me, or can i not see the pictures?

Not just you, I see the uke only in my imagination from the description. Scrap wood? Beaches, pieces of lumber, mandarin crates, coconut shells... but no clue what the thing must look like :)

Perhaps something like this...

LOL, that's epic.

Sorry, dunno why the photobucket pics won't show for some, but I'm uploading a bunch to Flickr right now.

looks like the upgraded forum software has also given us the ability to upload pictures -- though I have not yet tried it -- check out your User CP

:)

wow that was amazing!

and you did that with no instructions and with scrapwood.

can you make me one? lol

great job broh!

Okies, I uploaded a bunch of photos to flickr.
This should get you there.

I hope this can give someone some ideas. I know i got a lot of ideas while browsing the internet, so if you see something and think you deserve credit, just give me a shout. Please remember that I had no idea what I was doing, but had a lot of fun learning. I'm and electrical engineer, not a carpenter ;)

@ Tad:

The fret spacing was actually really easy. If you consider that you want the 12th fret to be the exact middle, no matter what the scale, then it all becomes about the 12th root of 2. I don't see an equation editor handy, but it all simplifies down to dividing by 17.817. That is, for example, if you had a scale length of 17" (standard Tenor ukulele), then you divide that by 17.817. This will give you the position of your first fret - down 0.954 inches. Then you just repeat as many times as you want. Consider the first fret your nut, so now you have a theoretical scale length of 17"-0.954" = 16.046". Divide that by 17.817, and you'll get 0.900". So your 2nd fret goes 0.900" below the first...... and so on, and so forth, each one getting smaller. The number 17.817 isn't just pulled out of a hat, it's so that the 12th fret will be exactly 1/2 of the scale.

Cheers,
gary

PS: thanks for all the nice comments :)

Top Bottom